Green BR 5MT sheded in North West?

Contemplating buying a green BR 5 MT from Hattons as they are at a good price, £82.

I assume when BR started painting some locos in lined green they were on the Western Region.

Does anyone know if any ever found there way up to Manchester, and approx. dates, running numbers?

Manchester area allocations for green liveried standard 5's.

73014/26/40 Bolton from 4/66, 73040 moved on to Patricroft 4/68

73034/95 Agecroft from 4/66, 73034 moved on to Patricroft 10/66

73035/94/96/97 Patricroft from 7/65

73014/40 were Eastleigh green repaints not allocated to the WR during their 'green' period.

Manchester area allocations for green liveried standard 5's.

73014/26/40 Bolton from 4/66, 73040 moved on to Patricroft 4/68

73034/95 Agecroft from 4/66, 73034 moved on to Patricroft 10/66

73035/94/96/97 Patricroft from 7/65

73014/40 were Eastleigh green repaints not allocated to the WR during their 'green' period.

Thanks Paul,

all the information I need there.

Glad to be of help, I'm a great fan of Standard 5's ( I have 6, including a Caprotti version)), by todays prices £82 is ok. If run in properly, it'll probably struggle with more than 8 coaches, replace motor with a Mashima 1426 ( if you can get one !), it'll increase haulage by 50%. 

Glad to be of help, I'm a great fan of Standard 5's ( I have 6, including a Caprotti version)), by todays prices £82 is ok. If run in properly, it'll probably struggle with more than 8 coaches, replace motor with a Mashima 1426 ( if you can get one !), it'll increase haulage by 50%.

I used to have 73068, but that was sold (it fetched just £28 on eBay!!) after I managed to find the one I really wanted: 73082. The late Geoff Brewin sold me a Comet chassis kit to go under the body, so that means I can stick a Portescap in there.

• RMweb Gold

I have 73110, and like Ivan, fancy 73082. Neither is really my era nor my location, but they were a class I admired. Indeed, on my first day train-spotting, at Clapham Junction in 1960, 73089 Maid of Astolat came creeping up the Windsor side with a freight and left an impression while awaiting signals. The Class 5s seemed thoroughly modern compared with the rusty and neglected N15s and Nelsons on the mainline, as of course they were. I note that despite there being only 20 Southern examples, it took more than 3 years for them all to be named - 73089 being named in May 1959, while 73116 Iseult wasn't named until September 1962.

• RMweb Gold

About 1980 - ish, the Camelot Locomotive Society published a small booklet 'The Standard Arthurs', which gave a good insight into the class, invaluable to Standard class 5 fans.

The Irwell Press volume sits on my shelf, next to those for Arthurs, Light Pacifics and T9s. Invaluable. 

Interesting, so presumably those ones didnt get the WR route indicator (single red?) blob?  I've got several tomes on standards in general, and the David Clarke book on 5s specifically - it seems to have its critics, but I find it a useful book and anyone who doesnt currently have it can pick it up for £1.13 (+ P&P) via Amazon at the moment!  Other vendors available, though they might not price match.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting, so presumably those ones didnt get the WR route indicator (single red?) blob?  I've got several tomes on standards in general, and the David Clarke book on 5s specifically - it seems to have its critics, but I find it a useful book and anyone who doesnt currently have it can pick it up for £1.13 (+ P&P) via Amazon at the moment!  Other vendors available, though they might not price match.

73014 was painted green during a GO at Eastleigh 30.1.64 - 14.3.64. It then was shedded at Bletchley, then successively Oxley, Banbury, Bolton.

73040 was similarly painted in 12.65, at which stage it was allocated to Croes Newydd. It moved to Bolton and then Patricroft before withdrawal. 

At least one Standard 5 was (re)painted green at Derby in the 60s but I cant remember which one (it may be recorded in a Railway Observer as the RCTS were regular visitors). I do remember spending part of one lunch break watching one of the paint shop guys doing the lining by hand following the chalked lines - enthralling!.

The full list of green repaints is in the second volume of the RCTS series on standard locos ( page 30), but I can't see Derby listed there, Darlington, Doncaster, even Cowlairs, apart from Swindon, Wolverhampton, and Eastleigh  - but no Derby.

The Irwell Press volume sits on my shelf, next to those for Arthurs, Light Pacifics and T9s. Invaluable. 

The Irwell book is good, I have that also. But occasionally small publications appear with useful snippets of info not found elsewhere.

The full list of green repaints is in the second volume of the RCTS series on standard locos ( page 30), but I can't see Derby listed there, Darlington, Doncaster, even Cowlairs, apart from Swindon, Wolverhampton, and Eastleigh  - but no Derby.

The book is not fully comprehensive then. That's not a criticism of the book, just that some details obviously slip through the net. I wasn't dreaming, I was there! Similarly the RCTS book on the Jubilee 4-6-0's (sic) claims that 45700 was cut up at Crewe (presumably as per the record cards) whereas it was actually cut up at Albert Looms at Spondon.

Edit: I could be that the RCTS only recorded the change from black to green rather than repaints at overhauls when already in green.

I bought an SR one, 73110 I think, when they came out - it became 73156 for my ER layout after some mods. The haulage was so poor I bought a second Bachmann motor, which was a bit better, added weight, and carefully relubricated. Your idea of a Mashima I'm sure is a good one, and I do have some in stock, but I wonder if the worm off the Bachmann example will fit directly onto the Mashima?

They are indeed a bonny model, and I'd have thought good value at £82 these days.

Many thanks,

John.

, but I wonder if the worm off the Bachmann example will fit directly onto the Mashima?

They are indeed a bonny model, and I'd have thought good value at £82 these days.

Many thanks,

John.

Glad you asked, I forgot to add, I last bought a Bachmann standard 5 about 4 or 5 years ago, on each one I fitted a replacement motor, and worm, from Branchlines ( it was Westbury by then ), but I haven't dealt with them since.

Archived