Hornby announce the ex SECR / SR / BR(s) Wainwright H Class 0-4-4 tank as part of their 2017 range

Graham_Muz

Right got fed right up with this and felt bad for the little thing so investigated at a very deep level, the following issues were found. Some kind of blue blobs of plasticy stuff had been dropped onto the front of the fly wheel (yep these have one) blobs were proud of the face of the flywheel and could be seen to have scraped the inside face of the smoke box door. Blue blobs removed. Better but not fixed. Wheels removed, scraping noise still there. I discovered that the motor mounting screws were part undone, did them up and the noise and jitters became 100% worse!! OH, so removed motor and examine gears and worm. All seemed fine and were not running unevenly at all, all teeth clear. Motor ran fine out of the harness. So I made two paper washers and placed between motor mounting bracket and chassis, refitted motor, smooth as you like!! FFS anyway this does not resolve the scratch on the bunker which seems to be where they tried to clean some paint off and then just varnished over it. We shall see what tomorrow brings but the pretty little thing may live on subject to some arrangement. Good night. Photos to come

Edited by mikesndbs

• RMweb Gold

Am I the only one that's unimpressed by having to open a detail pack, just to get a rear coupling for the engine? I don't want detail bits going everywhere, so I've nicked a coupling from somewhere else, but I wish it had come fitted.

No, I usually want the bits from the detailing pack more than the coupling, so not a problem.

Am I the only one that's unimpressed by having to open a detail pack, just to get a rear coupling for the engine? I don't want detail bits going everywhere, so I've nicked a coupling from somewhere else, but I wish it had come fitted.

I usually have a heap of spare 'zip-lock' bags around that are ideal for those bits and pieces. Once I open the sealed pack from Hornby/Bachmann/Heljan/whoever else's names you want here, the remaining, unused bits go into the resealable bag until I can file them away properly in one of the multi-compartment boxes I have.

• Like 2

Mine arrived back last Friday and managed to get a little filming done with it on the layout over the weekend. The livery really is a work of art in itself! 

Currently I don't have any matching SECR Stock to hand, so had her on a short rake of Hornby Teaks, which made quite a nice pairing.

Here's my video of her in action, as well as some close-ups of the details and livery. 

Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlJXounQ_vg

post-20663-0-65319800-1509353194_thumb.gif

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 3

I keep lots of spare couplings just in case. Normally I sellotape the bits bag onto the ice cube packaging. This seals the bag and stops it fouling the closure of the ice cube box (you can accidentally bend all the brake rigging when you slide the sleeve over the ice cube part).

I usually have a heap of spare 'zip-lock' bags around that are ideal for those bits and pieces. Once I open the sealed pack from Hornby/Bachmann/Heljan/whoever else's names you want here, the remaining, unused bits go into the resealable bag until I can file them away properly in one of the multi-compartment boxes I have.

I keep the zip-lock bags in the loco’s box. They are necessary because some bits, such as tension-lock couplers and dummy screw links, are alternative fittings, so we would always have bits left over. Some manufacturers thoughtfully supply the bits in a zip-lock bag but not Hornby or Bachmann. A lifetime supply of zip-lock bags is obtainable cheaply from Amazon.

If you haven't already done this, I suggest you contact Hornby or your retailer to register the fact that the loco has a scratched bunker enclosing a photograph, perhaps they do have some spare bodies or complete locos. You never know.

I've just spoken to Hornby to return R3555 for broken valve gear (Slide bar and driving rods) requesting a replacement. FYI, Hornby have no spare capacity for replacements on the CP and the SECR H Class.

I was offered a repair but politely declined.

If you haven't already done this, I suggest you contact Hornby or your retailer to register the fact that the loco has a scratched bunker enclosing a photograph, perhaps they do have some spare bodies or complete locos. You never know.

I've just spoken to Hornby to return R3555 for broken valve gear (Slide bar and driving rods) requesting a replacement. FYI, Hornby have no spare capacity for replacements on the CP and the SECR H Class.

I too have the zip-lock bags, but I never thought of decanting the unwanted detail bits into one. D'oh! Damn good idea that man.

Have you contacted the retailer? 

Is it just an optical illusion but the sandpipes - on all samples I've seen on this thread - seem to be aiming across the face of each wheel rather than onto the rail .................... don't Hornby know this is the peak of the ( wrong kind of ) leaf-fall season ?

The sanding pipes are more likely to be accurately pointing in the right place; it's the wheels that aren't in the right place at 16.5 mm apart.

• Like 2

The sanding pipes are more likely to be accurately pointing in the right place; it's the wheels that aren't in the right place at 16.5 mm apart.

Indeed ! ..... though to be ever so pedantic, 16.5mm is exactly the right ( back to back ) distance apart for wheels set to current EM gauge standards ! .............. yeah, OK, you meant the rails !!?!

( Even so, the sand pipes look to me to be overlapping the face of the tyre - so maybe a tad too long or set too high ! )

Ordered from Hornby Direct, now trying to track one down.I think I'm going to need some luck on this one lol.

Although at a massive price premium Rails have two on eBay. I don't suppose Hornby would entertain compensating you beyond refunding your purchase price but I'd be inclined to write them a letter once you have secured a model. PM on it's way.

• RMweb Gold

Although at a massive price premium Rails have two on eBay. I don't suppose Hornby would entertain compensating you beyond refunding your purchase price but I'd be inclined to write them a letter once you have secured a model. PM on it's way.

But remember that some retailers appear still to be awaiting their allocation.Don't give up just yet.

For those who are looking to purchase Duchess of Atholl (R3553), I wouldn't worry unduly as it appears stocks are plentiful.

A distinct contrast to Sir William Stanier.

Available from Hattons.

As is this.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/229854/Hornby_R3538_SECR_Class_H_Wainwright_0_4_4T_308_in_South_Eastern_and_Chatham_Railway_lined_gr/StockDetail.aspx

Now no longer showing as available.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

Right got fed right up with this and felt bad for the little thing so investigated at a very deep level, the following issues were found. Some kind of blue blobs of plasticy stuff had been dropped onto the front of the fly wheel (yep these have one) blobs were proud of the face of the flywheel and could be seen to have scraped the inside face of the smoke box door. Blue blobs removed. Better but not fixed. Wheels removed, scraping noise still there. I discovered that the motor mounting screws were part undone, did them up and the noise and jitters became 100% worse!! OH, so removed motor and examine gears and worm. All seemed fine and were not running unevenly at all, all teeth clear. Motor ran fine out of the harness. So I made two paper washers and placed between motor mounting bracket and chassis, refitted motor, smooth as you like!! FFS anyway this does not resolve the scratch on the bunker which seems to be where they tried to clean some paint off and then just varnished over it. We shall see what tomorrow brings but the pretty little thing may live on subject to some arrangement. Good night. Photos to come

Sorry to hear your having so many issues Mike,  you have had some bad luck in the past on models, but this is something else... If you have been getting the same issues of poor models from a certain retailer I would probably try else where, I tend to stick to ones that inspect or run them before shipping.

Even after reviewing mine I found a few things which were not right, the bogie pickups for example, were not even touching the wheels... so they worked well... although the Flywheel probably hid the fact that they were not making contact, so I adjusted these before doing some work on it.

I hope your luck changes soon... or you change shop... one of the two.

Edited by Bluebell Model Railway

I think I may have jinxed myself, after running perfectly the evening I received my H I ran it yesterday to show my friend and it was engulfed in white smoke. It wasn't running fast and did not have any rolling stock attached which has given my quite a shock, she does run but seems to heat up rather quickly which can't be a good sign. Im just waiting to hear back from the retailer before I have a look inside  :dontknow:

• RMweb Gold

I think I may have jinxed myself, after running perfectly the evening I received my H I ran it yesterday to show my friend and it was engulfed in white smoke. It wasn't running fast and did not have any rolling stock attached which has given my quite a shock, she does run but seems to heat up rather quickly which can't be a good sign. Im just waiting to hear back from the retailer before I have a look inside  :dontknow:

Sounds like a steam pipe burst, or a cylinder popped did you drop the fire to avoid damaging the fire box ?

:-)

• Like 1