Hornby announce the ex SECR / SR / BR(s) Wainwright H Class 0-4-4 tank as part of their 2017 range

Graham_Muz

Black paint and a steady hand?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Unfortunately the splasher flashes can't be removed without damaging the lining.

Sad that after waiting all this time for a RTR H class I too will have to pass on this and wait for an early crest non-push-pull version.

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately the splasher flashes can't be removed without damaging the lining.

Sad that after waiting all this time for a RTR H class I too will have to pass on this and wait for an early crest non-push-pull version.

How do you know that? I'm not aware that the production models have been released yet.

Even if the 'flashes' do slightly impinge on the lining, I wouldn't call myself a modeller if I couldn't 'disappear' them with a fine brush and some paint.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Even if the 'flashes' do slightly impinge on the lining, I wouldn't call myself a modeller if I couldn't 'disappear' them with a fine brush and some paint.

I won't rise to that.

The point about flashes is I've never met anyone who purchased a model because it had them

but I know many who chose Not to buy a model because it had them.

• RMweb Premium

I won't rise to that.

The point about flashes is I've never met anyone who purchased a model because it had them

but I know many who chose Not to buy a model because it had them.

Each to their own - but I have purchased many models where I have had to add the flashes.

It seems fair that there should be occasions when I am saved the trouble and someone else has to remove the flashes.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

Each to their own - but I have purchased many models where I have had to add the flashes.

It seems fair that there should be occasions when Iam saved the trouble and someone else has to remove the flashes.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Sorry you are troubled by adding them but to the manufacturers flashes lose sales but they do not gain from them.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry you are troubled by adding them but to the manufacturers flashes lose sales but they do not gain from them.

Well, that's your assessment - but I would have thought that the model manufacturers are aware of the pros and cons of 'flashes', and that they make their livery choices in the full knowledge of those factors.

I'm not troubled by adding 'flashes' - I do it all the time - but it seems that you *are* troubled by removing them.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

But Hornby are selling this loco with the Maunsell set. Since those didn't exist before late-'59, the flashes are part of the deal at about that time.

The H in the Maunsell set is shown as 31551 whereas the BR one in the separate images is 31518. Both are PP-fitted late crest with flashes. I'm sure Hornby will produce BR early-crest ones, both PP and non-PP at some point, but seems odd that initial production limits the BR crest to 2 versions, both PP-fitted & both with warning flashes, as they will initially be ignoring quite a popular modelling period.

• RMweb Premium

One of the two BR black ones, I cannot recall which was initially announced as an early crester but was changed for some as yet unexplained reason.

• RMweb Gold

This model is on my "B-List", being somewhat wide-of-scheme from my main modelling interests and I'd really like one in early emblem anyway.

I already anticipate spending far too much on my "A-List" wants this year, so I'm quite happy to wait for Hornby to announce my preferred version.

That way, I won't need to re-work it and the outlay is deferred.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

I think I've seen only one photograph of a H with late crest and no flashes. That's with looking at hundreds of photographs of them.

That's No 31193 at the bottom of this page. http://www.semgonline.com/steam/hclass_01.html

I'm assuming Hornby has put them on because they were always there and not to fit them would be wrong. Don't forget that the later crest was being applied around about the same time as the electrification flashes were being fitted. The Southern Region being pretty quick off the mark fitting them due to it having overhead electric wires.

Jason

Yes and there were apparently quite a few accidents as it was in the freight yards such as Hither Green. Shunters waving shunting poles around and climbing over wagons is not a good mix with electric wires.

That is what they were for. To warn staff that overhead wires were present. The Southern were one of the regions that fixed them pretty quickly. Look at photos from the era. I have and still can't find many photos of H class without them post 1959.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Yes and there were apparently quite a few accidents as it was in the freight yards such as Hither Green. Shunters waving shunting poles around and climbing over wagons is not a good mix with electric wires.

That is what they were for. To warn staff that overhead wires were present. The Southern were one of the regions that fixed them pretty quickly. Look at photos from the era. I have and still can't find many photos of H class without them post 1959.

Jason

The irony being the overhead wires are supposed to be safer than 3rd rail.

Perhaps would have been safer to leave the yards under steam.

I think I've seen only one photograph of a H with late crest and no flashes. That's with looking at hundreds of photographs of them.

That's No 31193 at the bottom of this page. http://www.semgonline.com/steam/hclass_01.html

I'm assuming Hornby has put them on because they were always there and not to fit them would be wrong. Don't forget that the later crest was being applied around about the same time as the electrification flashes were being fitted. The Southern Region being pretty quick off the mark fitting them due to it having overhead electric wires.

Looking through my books I have found a few with flashes. They weren't there in 1959 and seem to be common (and very clean looking) in 1961 photos. So my guess is that they started appearing on the H Class from 1960 or 1961.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Funny how the whistle is bent...

...but that SE&CR livery looks pretty good to me.

Edited by Ian J.