The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

On the trail of the Hovercraft

Robert

3 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Ekranoplan, or "Caspian sea monsters". They fly at VERY low altitude, creating a ground-effect air buffer. They have more engines than you'd imagine and seaplane type hulls. In the best Soviet style, they had rockets on the back.. there were also little eight-seaters used as in-field staff transport, but nobody cared about those...

IMG_2696.PNG.ae7011b201b655306af116c1d747957c.PNGIMG_2695.JPG.50fab9fe08cddcff3dfc0c175386b46b.JPG

That's not the "actual" Caspian Sea Monster (as such).

It's the only Lun-Class Ekranoplan that was ever completed.

The Lun-Class was a development of the larger experimental KM Class, which is the craft that was originally dubbed the "Caspian Sea Monster.

The KM was 59' 8" longer and 8' 6" taller and powered by 10 jet engines (2 on the tail fin), each of a similar thrust to the 8 fitted to the Lun-Class,

Though smaller, the Lun-Class was heavier, but slightly faster.

This is the larger, KM (Caspian Sea Monster)......

1BFCE41B-AA8A-4EA3-B902-A49D9D64CFC7-100

The Soviets also had a few of these......

7a6c8013cc97a3efc56b9a1fd30ad4b7.jpg

1543848525774-a27ae7dbfccf55459885689108

Now a museum display....

Ekranoplan_A-90_Orlyonok_-_edit.jpg

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

they've been busy at \Sunny Hunny, three girls blown out to sea on an inflatable.image.png.6a7175b017106fc7c8ebfb89bc0ee5dd.png

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

Any more so than a slow ship travelling in the same cross-channel direction? I assume they must need gaps between the channel traffic to get across too.

Nautical traffic lights might be a bit difficult to build, but if they moored a buoy in mid channel, perhaps shipping could flow round it, treating it as a roundabout ?

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

I'm pretty certain that the faster the transit across The Channel, the lower the probability of collision with cross-transiting vessels. The highest probability of collision would be for a stationary object in the seaway, and the lowest for an object travelling across at infinite speed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BernardTPM said:

Any more so than a slow ship travelling in the same cross-channel direction? I assume they must need gaps between the channel traffic to get across too.

Also the English Channel has plenty of sandbanks and there is sandbars off of both sides of the Channel. In fact this could be where air cushion craft could have the advantage by flying over such areas where conventional craft cannot go.

• Agree 3

I started my apprenticeship with the British Hovercraft Corporation just at the time when, as my Father put it, they were sharpening their hacksaws to cut the original SRN4* in half to extend it! (* IRRC SRN - Saunders Roe Number)

IIRC, hovercraft were used in the first Gulf war on both sides.

All hovercraft are classified as low flying aircraft and carry a CAA G- registration.

SRN2 was used in an experiment to test its effectiveness as a mine-resistant sweeper; being of aluminium construction, the mine had to be triggered; the SRN2 just bounced a bit!

Early 80s, the AP188 (Advanced Project 188) was conceived and developed. Using welded (instead of the traditional, Swedish Airlines, experimented with an AP188 to provide services from Stockholm (IIRC) to its airport; the service was unaffected when the area froze solid!

Canadian Coastguards use(d) a well-deck version of the AP188; fitted with a bow ramp, as they approach a casualty in the water, the ramp is lowered and used to 'scoop' it up onto the deck!

Apologies if this repeats previous posts; I was just in the frame of mind for this at the time of post!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

2 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

All hovercraft are classified as low flying aircraft and carry a CAA G- registration.

...and yet, Wing in Ground Effect aircraft are classified by the International Maritime Organisation, as ships !!!!!   :blink: :scratchhead:

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Nautical traffic lights might be a bit difficult to build, but if they moored a buoy in mid channel, perhaps shipping could flow round it, treating it as a roundabout ?

I believe that is the case. There are light vessels/large buoys that mark the separation lanes. @The Stationmaster knows far more about this than I.

• Agree 2