Laser printer reliability, not quality

My query is not so much about the quality of laser printouts for Scalescene type kits, but more looking for recommendations based on reliability and longevity (hopefully up to maybe five years if that is not overly optimistic?) I bought a Dell C1760NW laser printer 20 months ago and was delighted with the results and the fact that there were none of the problems associated with inkjet, such as clogging, constant refills etc. However, it has now developed what is, according to many users, a common problem, in that the black no longer prints, usually just after the warrantee has expired!. There is no support for this problem from Dell although it has been reported over and again on their forums. So, I am going to replace with another laser from another manufacturer, and am hoping that members of the forum can share their own recommendations based not on quality or running costs, but on reliability and longevity - over a period of years rather than months. I have confess that I am looking at the lower price end up to say, £150, since I will probably sell a couple of locos to cover the cost. Thank you if you are able to help.

Following recommendations on this forum I bought a Samsung CLP-365W Wireless Colour Printer. I got it from ebay as an ex-demonstration model for £87.50 and have had no problems in the 3 1/2 years that I have owned it. I bought it expressly to use with Scalescene kits. The only issue I have, and one that you are probably already familar with, is that laser printing can be shiny and care needs to be taken when making folds. I buy generic cartridges for it as these are a lot cheaper and again have had no problem.

HTH

Tony

I have had a Brothers HL-3040CN for about 5 years now.  Don't want to say no problems because that is like asking for some tomorrow but basically happy.  Downside is that it is only a three colour printer and I cannot modulate the colour tones.  As a result a lot of the downloadable stuff does not come out with a true colour.

I got an HP Color Laserjet 2550L on Freecycle a couple of years ago. It's a good few years old, but they were expensive machines designed for high volume printing. I've no idea how much secondhand printers like this are if you have to pay for them, but they may be more reliable than low price new ones. So far it's been very reliable, and the only problem I've had is with a cheap toner cartridge that prints yellow bands where there shouldn't be one.

I have a Samsung CLP325w wireless  printer which I bought brand new however it needs the toners replacing at the moment but they cost almost as much as a new printer. I have no problems with the printer itself and find the quality of print and reliability perfect for what I want.

Archived