Abbotswood junction - Original layout - thread now closed please see Abbotswood and Norton Junctions

Phil Bullock

The worst part is when you start repeating yourself!

Mike.

Do you know what de ja vu is?

It's the feeling that something has already occurred.

Do you know what de ja vu is?

(A trick from my former rather eccentric maths teacher)

• RMweb Gold

So --- this may only work with those of a certain age, if it requires explanation you are forgiven Liam!

Yes indeed I do know what deja vu is...

Picture lads day out .....travelling the Merseyrail system, doing the run up to Southport, pass through several stations including Crosby. On our return there is Crosby again....at which point some wag (You can probably guess the responsible criminal) pipes up: "Crosby again. Is that Deja Vu?"

But remember my own most significant deja vu vividly....

At the end of a 1 day tour of Scotland with the Worcester Loco Society we finally reached our final port of call - Beattock SP. We had paced one of the bankers - D8557 IIRC down the A74 where it ran parallel to the main line and there were two more Claytons at the Station. But as we turned in to the drive up to the station I had the strongest sense ever of "Been here before" - but for sure I never had!

Explanation? Bullocks theory is that when we experience something of great pleasure or significance - pacing that Clayton in this instance - our sub conscious mind goes in to overdrive, leading to deja vu when it tells us we have already been somewhere that our conscious mind is just recognising for the first time.

Well I thought it sounded good anyway!

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

So --- this may only work with those of a certain age, if it requires explanation you are forgiven Liam!

Picture lads day out .....travelling the Merseyrail system, doing the run up to Southport, pass through several stations including Crosby. On our return there is Crosby again....at which point some wag (You can probably guess the responsible criminal) pipes up: "Crosby again. Is that Deja Vu?"

At the end of a 1 day tour of Scotland with the Worcester Loco Society we finally reached our final port of call - Beattock SP. We had paced one of the bankers - D8557 IIRC down the A74 where it ran parallel to the main line and there were two more Claytons at the Station. But as we turned in to the drive up to the station I had the strongest sense ever of "Been here before" - but for sure I never had!

Explanation? Bullocks theory is that when we experience something of great pleasure or significance - pacing that Clayton in this instance - our sub conscious mind goes in to overdrive, leading to deja vu when it tells us we have already been somewhere that our conscious mind is just recognising for the first time.

Phil

yeah........ :fool:

Don't worry Phil I get it!

Yours truly's father (depending on the year, mind) would have been living in the station house at Beattock, as my grandad was area inspector for the WCML between Beattock Summit and Wamphray/Lockerbie IIRC. Who could have predicted that my dad and Mr Bullock would, about 50 years later, 'reunite' about 300 miles south, in a diesel loco works in the Cotswolds?

• RMweb Gold

So .... date was 13.6 70 ( actually it was 14th by the time we got to Beattock! ) Claytons were 8557 and 8573....yes indeed, spooky

And there was another significant event taking place that afternoon, we participated in the coach on the way down back south by gesticulating wildly at every Merc or BMW that passed us .... Mexico 1970, West Germany 3 England 2 after England had 2-0 lead too!

And its good to hear an Ampleforth education extends to classic albums - guess the release date...March 1970! the spooky factor grows....

Phil

Ah, afraid by that point my dad was living in Holyhead, much to his disapproval. He hated the place! (And so would I if I had just spent many happy years riding in Fairburn tanks, 20s and claytons up Beattock summit)

Yes, an Ampleforth education has led to studying such works like Killer Queen (one of my favourite tracks), Eleanor Rigby (another Merseyside connection) and Starman to name but a few.

• RMweb Gold

Phil

You need to watch the recent, (this last week),  BBC Horizon programme on parallel universes, explains a lot, I'm a multiverse man myself.

Edited to qualify for those who won't see it;

In a multiverse, you have done every combination possible of everything you could possibly ever do, been president of the USA, repelled William at Hastings, lost 2 world wars etc etc.So therefore there is no such thing as deja vu.

Mike.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Certainly with you on the theory that things are far more complex than we know....

How come basic molecular structure works on exactly the same principles as the universe for starters?

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Certainly with you on the theory that things are far more complex than we know....

How come basic molecular structure works on exactly the same principles as the universe for starters?

Phil

, and how come fired electrons split spontaneously to go through 2 slits and then form 3 wave patterns?

Mike.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Phil

Just wondered if there was anything happening in Abbotswood Works?

Cheers,

Liam

You mean something other than Warships Liam?

JAmes came over and we had a go at Western Ranger's chassis block with the Dremmel yesterday...

Now has space for an EM2 .... should make some nice noise!

post-7138-0-71930000-1534800568_thumb.jpg

Just need to re- assemble - chip with Howes sound file and EM2 are to hand.

Phil

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

JAmes came over and we had a go at Western Ranger's chassis block with the Dremmel yesterday...

attachicon.gifD1013 chassis.jpg

Phil

I think you need a new knife and fork!

Mike,

• RMweb Gold

Dremmel and slitting disc not precise for sure....araldite will fill any gaps and will all be under loco body

Oh hang on - is this another Spanish Inquistion? i wasnt expecting that..... :sungum:  :sungum:

Phil

Oh hang on - is this another Spanish Inquistion? i wasnt expecting that..... :sungum:  :sungum:

Phil

Nooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapons are surprise, fear, ruthless efficiency and almost fanatical devotion to the Pope. :)

And I've never experienced a Spanish Inquisition either....

attachicon.gifD1013 chassis.jpg

Phil

You'll never get one of these

post-238-0-59384000-1534861703_thumb.jpg

inside a Western, even with all that dremelling.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I ain't no Russell Crowe!

Mike.

But he was of hispanic residence!

Hee hee

Any way we fired up D1013 with EM2 in it yesterday...results were interesting, Howes sound file on V4. Start up and horns great ....full of base as expected. Spooling her up was slightly bizarre however... as speed increased it sounded like the engines were slowing not accelerating! Suspect what was happening was that the base was being replaced by higher tones which the EM2 is no designed for ...

So put a 23mm round in series - a bit better, but struggling to compete with the EM2. So any advice on a speaker to go with the EM2 to deliver the top end that will go in an already butchered Dapol Western?

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

So just checked - knew it was imminent - but we have hit 1 million views on Youtube today

That feels significant - thanks to all on here for your support, in the past and ongoing

Cheers

Phil

• Like 6

So just checked - knew it was imminent - but we have hit 1 million views on Youtube today

That feels significant - thanks to all on here for your support, in the past and ongoing

Cheers

Phil

Personally Phil, I much prefer your videos to pretty much everything else that attracts 1 million+ views on YouTube. ;) Edited by SVRlad
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Personally Phil, I much prefer your videos to pretty much everything else that attracts 1 million+ views on YouTube. ;)

Thanks Liam! And yes those photos from KRM were most definitely useful - thanks again!

Phil

• Like 1