Abbotswood junction - Original layout - thread now closed please see Abbotswood and Norton Junctions

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Many many thanks Bob

As I have said my colour vision is duff so I hope some other kind soul might be able to suggest something appropriate

We'll have a chat about it at Newark....oh sorry Newbury!....at the weekend

Kind regards

Phil

Many many thanks Bob

As I have said my colour vision is duff so I hope some other kind soul might be able to suggest something appropriate

We'll have a chat about it at Newark....oh sorry Newbury!....at the weekend

Kind regards

Phil

Actually Phil,

I think it's the line along the full length of the cantrail which is duck egg blue, not the line under the loco number.

I'll keep digging as well and we can share our findings after the weekend.

Bob

• RMweb Gold

Looking forwards to a days train spotting leaning on the fence at Abbotswood tomorrow

post-7138-0-82894800-1486720579.jpg

Got a bottle of Lucozade and a pasty - wheres me notebook and combined volume?

Phil

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Looking forwards to a days train spotting leaning on the fence at Abbotswood tomorrow

attachicon.gifDSC00923.JPG

Got a bottle of Lucozade and a pasty - wheres me notebook and combined volume?

Phil

Looks more like you are cracking your knuckles for a fist fight.

I'll introduce myself tomorrow, I'll be helping on Lydgate.

• RMweb Premium

As the little Lord Bullock Of Abbotswood is going to be overseeing events tomorrow that means the real Mr Bullock is relieved of his duties and can come and help me tile the downstairs loo.

Sorry Phil would have loved to ventured down the M4 and had a day watching model trains but Mrs M is expecting some progress with the tiling. :cry: :cry:

• RMweb Gold

Safely at my hotel in Thatcham. See you tomorrow Phil.

You be careful where you go out in the evening round there Colin - Thatcham used to have a very nasty reputation for all sorts of goings-on  ;)

Unless herself fancies a trip to Newbury I doubt I'll be popping in to see the show - at this time of year there's almost one a week within reasonable distance of here and I was at alton last Saturday and will be at Risboro' next Saturday so don't want to lose too many brownie points.  Have a good weekend chaps.

• RMweb Gold

I used to live at Hungerford so am reasonably familiar with the various types of harm that can befall a young man in Thatcham. We are going to stay safely in the hotel tonight and Emmas having a day in the spa tomorrow while I play trains. Nice meal tomorrow night in the Red House at Marsh Benham and a relaxed drive home Sunday.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I was a rookie roadcrew member for Abbotswood (sorry all, not setting correct routes causing derailments and crossed couplings on consists was my fault ) but it was an excellent experience. I just love that ECoS controller and how Phil has automated the whole thing.

From the first time "on the other side of the fence" I can vouch for how much hard work Phil puts in behind the scenes to get Abbotswood working. It's a very significant commitment, and certainly one done for the love of the hobby and all those happy memories of over four decades ago. It was also very hard work getting a varied roster out on public display, and I was happy to say that my first run of my SLW 24063 and Heljan B tanks were on Abbotswood.

We arrived at the venue at 0715 for 1000 am start, and despite setting up the evening before we still needed an hour or more to check that the consists were running OK.

I'd love to do it again (if Phil hasn't sacked me ;)), and will use the opportunity to get some of my models more of a public viewing if the boss lets me run them. Thanks to the organisers for an excellent show, and wish I lived a bit closer to Phil to help him unload this morning. Thanks to all that came and spoke to us, a very nice atmosphere at the show.

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I was a rookie roadcrew member for Abbotswood (sorry all, not setting correct routes causing derailments and crossed couplings on consists was my fault ) but it was an excellent experience. I just love that ECoS controller and how Phil has automated the whole thing.

From the first time "on the other side of the fence" I can vouch for how much hard work Phil puts in behind the scenes to get Abbotswood working. It's a very significant commitment, and certainly one done for the love of the hobby and all those happy memories of over four decades ago. It was also very hard work getting a varied roster out on public display, and I was happy to say that my first run of my SLW 24063 and Heljan B tanks were on Abbotswood.

We arrived at the venue at 0715 for 1000 am start, and despite setting up the evening before we still needed an hour or more to check that the consists were running OK.

I'd love to do it again (if Phil hasn't sacked me ;)), and will use the opportunity to get some of my models more of a public viewing if the boss lets me run them. Thanks to the organisers for an excellent show, and wish I lived a bit closer to Phil to help him unload this morning. Thanks to all that came and spoke to us, a very nice atmosphere at the show.

Neil

I can only echo Neil's comments about the show - many thanks to the Newbury club committee for inviting us, covering costs and arranging accommodation. The recommendation for a curry for the Friday night - Chillies, which is right next to the station - was also top notch, excellent food. The only thing missing there was the background sound of Westerns hammering through as we ate....

Neil's comment based on his first trip out with us are also very kind. Yes it is a huge amount of work and we were all absolutely whacked by the close of play yesterday. I could not do it without a robust crew and Pierre, Neil and Digby yesterday were top notch. We did have some initial challenges - the lead connecting ECoS to the layout was shorting and needed resoldering and stock was initially recalcitrant but those issues were quickly sorted. I also managed to compromise a couple of signals during installation so apologies to those who rightly pointed out our consistent spading.

Digby was also a first timer but also got to grips quickly. The ideal situation is if I can leave the crew to operate and leave myself free to trouble shoot and that worked very well yesterday. I was also able to do a bit of driving with my iPhone which as Jimbo has pointed out makes for slicker operations. We also acquired an additional crew member! A young lad approached us on Friday evening during set up and plainly knew the layout well - he had seen us on Youtube, We therefore told him to report back for duty on Saturday.

We couldn't spend time with him at the beginning due to the issues mentioned above but he came back later and rapidly picked up how to drive - and Neil was kind enough to spend a long time supervising. The public display continued as usual but there was also hopefully one very hatppy young man. As Neil said above the way ECoS is configured makes it pretty intuitive as long as you can remember which folder the routes are lurking in.

Thanks also to the many RMwebbers who dropped by - great to put a face to Neil 40034 and Colin Penfold in particular . I was also badgered by the folks from the purveyor of scenic items to purchase an appropriate item of wildlife - photo to follow

All in all a great day out - and the news when we got home re the rugby result was the icing on the cake although the Welsh contingent were not happy...

Hee hee

Phil

• Like 4

ooo - one never took one's combine into the field ..................... :O

Maybe right at the start, but as the pages filled with underlinings certainly you didn't - far too risky.

No back ups on separate hard drives in those days, and I used to venture forth with handwritten lists of what was still needed, usually cobbled together whilst ostensibly doing my homework!

John.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil, if you are still trying to sort out the colour for your underline this tool is useful

http://imagecolorpicker.com/

You can upload an image and grab the pantone for the colour in the image.  You can then match the pantone to your favourite paint range

Ho Colin

That looks interesting ...many thanks!

Phil

I can only echo Neil's comments about the show - many thanks to the Newbury club committee for inviting us, covering costs and arranging accommodation. The recommendation for a curry for the Friday night - Chillies, which is right next to the station - was also top notch, excellent food. The only thing missing there was the background sound of Westerns hammering through as we ate....

Neil's comment based on his first trip out with us are also very kind. Yes it is a huge amount of work and we were all absolutely whacked by the close of play yesterday. I could not do it without a robust crew and Pierre, Neil and Digby yesterday were top notch. We did have some initial challenges - the lead connecting ECoS to the layout was shorting and needed resoldering and stock was initially recalcitrant but those issues were quickly sorted. I also managed to compromise a couple of signals during installation so apologies to those who rightly pointed out our consistent spading.

Digby was also a first timer but also got to grips quickly. The ideal situation is if I can leave the crew to operate and leave myself free to trouble shoot and that worked very well yesterday. I was also able to do a bit of driving with my iPhone which as Jimbo has pointed out makes for slicker operations. We also acquired an additional crew member! A young lad approached us on Friday evening during set up and plainly knew the layout well - he had seen us on Youtube, We therefore told him to report back for duty on Saturday.

We couldn't spend time with him at the beginning due to the issues mentioned above but he came back later and rapidly picked up how to drive - and Neil was kind enough to spend a long time supervising. The public display continued as usual but there was also hopefully one very hatppy young man. As Neil said above the way ECoS is configured makes it pretty intuitive as long as you can remember which folder the routes are lurking in.

Thanks also to the many RMwebbers who dropped by - great to put a face to Neil 40034 and Colin Penfold in particular . I was also badgered by the folks from the purveyor of scenic items to purchase an appropriate item of wildlife - photo to follow

All in all a great day out - and the news when we got home re the rugby result was the icing on the cake although the Welsh contingent were not happy...

Hee hee

Phil

Hi Phil,

Great to meet you and Neil at Newbury on Saturday.No doubt a lot of hard work for you to transport and set up for a one-day show.

Abbotswood is a top layout,with terrific loco's and stock,keep up the good work!

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil,

Great to meet you and Neil at Newbury on Saturday.No doubt a lot of hard work for you to transport and set up for a one-day show.

Abbotswood is a top layout,with terrific loco's and stock,keep up the good work!

Neil

Many thanks Neil! Forgive me if I cant connect the face -was it you I was talking to re D5528?

Phil

• RMweb Gold

So our friends from Penduke models badgered me in to buying this beauty at the weekend

post-7138-0-35447000-1486934880_thumb.jpg

A work of art from Kim .... will take badgers oak to new hieghts!

Phil

• Like 9