Abbotswood junction - Original layout - thread now closed please see Abbotswood and Norton Junctions

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

More progress tonight - D326 coming along nicely

post-7138-0-83050800-1486590692_thumb.jpg

post-7138-0-57256500-1486590701_thumb.jpg

Just needs final weathering, crew, headcodes and coupling loops

Western Lines Ws are a bit OTT...and anyone got a suggestion on how to get the fine blue line under the number that denoted modified traction motors?

Zambesi still waiting for improved underframe brown to be sussed - spray gun maestro Jimbo says manana....

Phil

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

A sliver of rail blue obliteration patch? They come in a number of rail blue flavours - these were quite pale blue though Phil?

Neil

You are right Neil it is pale!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=type+4+D326&biw=1143&bih=608&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_6-bzwYHSAhWiCMAKHbKOAPIQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=4GZR7hqVL_CF7M:

Isnt that a cracking photo?

Have tried what you suggested but difficult to get a sliver that thin from an existing larger transfer

Now if there was some lining somewhere of the right colour and thickness....

Phil

Western Lines Ws are a bit OTT...and anyone got a suggestion on how to get the fine blue line under the number that denoted modified traction motors?

Phil

So that's what the little line was for.

post-6884-0-27055200-1358108471.jpg

Brit15

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps some coronation lining will be the right shade/width?

http://fox-transfers.co.uk/lms-coronation-scot-streamlined-blue-locomotive-and-tender-livery

Edit: Scratch that it's grey!

Contemplating a similar job Phil on one of my GFYE 40s.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

• RMweb Premium

Hi Phil

You known D326 was a jinxed loco, not only the Great Train Robbery but a few accidents as well. One involved the secondman being zapped by the OLE when he tried to clean the outside of the windscreen. It lost its jinx when it was painted blue.

And another thing did it carry a right hand facing emblem? The only 2000 I know of that did was 40 106 when repainted green not blue in the late 70s. Most diesels had two left hand facing lions, only a few pilot locos had right hand facing ferrets.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Now Mr Mortimore....

I originally had 2 LH ferrets but changed one .... but d*mned if I can now find the evidence that made me do it.....

Pesky things ferrets....

And yes a litany of issues with D326 .... Winson Green run away, Chester collision....

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1

Could you make up your own lining on transfer paper with a bow pen?

I'd do it for you and bring some to Newark for you but you decided to go to Newbury instead.

Edited by RBAGE
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Could you make up your own lining on transfer paper with a bow pen?

I'd do it for you and bring some to Newark for you but you decided to go to Newbury instead.

Hee hee - but for an offer like that I would pay postage .....and any other costs!!!!!

Phil

OK. I'll get on with it tomorrow. Draw lines of various thickness so you can decide. I might even use it on my own 40's (sorry English Electric type 4's), as appropriate.

You won't have it by Saturday, I'm afraid.

Regards,

Bob

PS. Are duck's eggs blue? What species?

Ah! Wikipedia "pale greenish blue, like the colour of some duck's eggs".

Edited by RBAGE

• RMweb Gold

RBAGE. What a kind offer, and the type of altruism that should be a hallmark of RMweb.

Had a dig again Phil, and these are too pricey and still too thick at a scale 6" wide, but could be sliced with a very sharp scalpel,

http://fox-transfers.co.uk/early-diesel-electric-lining-crests-and-d-prefixes

Neil

I know one should not rely memory for colour, but I would've said it was more like the ScotRail blue.

Rgds,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eighties_british_rail/15380307473/in/photolist-nZNQma-kfB4qW-9YuzaQ-nLmDZR-pr76z4-bLmj2P-8y91FS-5m867v-q7BP6g-nLmJFp-hoYcC1-7RDTRS-dE4GTJ-7buG3E-vYdAff

But that looks too dark....

Edited by leopardml2341

I know one should not rely memory for colour, but I would've said it was more like the ScotRail blue.

Rgds,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eighties_british_rail/15380307473/in/photolist-nZNQma-kfB4qW-9YuzaQ-nLmDZR-pr76z4-bLmj2P-8y91FS-5m867v-q7BP6g-nLmJFp-hoYcC1-7RDTRS-dE4GTJ-7buG3E-vYdAff

But that looks too dark....

I believe the blue stripe under the number on a 2000 was applied using blue masking tape.

There could be something in that, but perhaps PVC tape instead?

Like this sort of colour:

https://www.orbitalfasteners.co.uk/en/products/19mm-x-20m-insulation-tape-blue-pvc?utm_medium=google_shopping&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=CIaVl6KZg9ICFYG17Qod34oPKA

Edit - I will find a pic somewhere :senile:

Edited by leopardml2341

Well, I can only find duck egg blue in matt finish which doesn't work well in a bow pen.

I'll have a go and see how I get on.

I think the PVC tape looks a bit too blue. If anyone can suggest an alternative enamel blue that I can get in gloss, I'd be very grateful.

I'll have a look at Doncaster at the weekend if this matt paint doesn't work.

You could always try cutting a suitable size slit in some Tamiya masking tape and brush paint it. Alternatively two parallel strips with a suitable gap, it shouldn't be too difficult to mark the limits on the tape and get a clean end with a fine brush.

• Like 1

Phil,

I've had a go with the duck egg blue matt paint and it will come off the bow pen but I'm not convinced by the colour. It looks too pale and green compared to the images linked from previous posts.

If you are someone else can suggest an alternative colour I'll give it another go.

I expect Pheonix will be at Doncaster so I'll have a word there.

Bob