The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The shrinking Royal Navy

Ohmisterporter

• RMweb Gold

The latest scandal not to hit the news (yet) - a large RN warship supposed to have been handed over by the dockyard (which is run by a contractor) for machinery trials alongside prior to the full crew joining has not been handed over.  Estimated that at least 6 months of 'restorative' work is needed to get the vessel ready for sea.  This year's 'long' programme for the ship has been cancelled and it has been established that £50,000 worth of brass fittings from watertight doors rare 'missing' meaning they not only have to be replaced but the ship cannot go to sea until they have been replaced.  Such is the state of the ship that the joining crew cannot safely embark and are having to live ashore in barracks.

It was never great.  Back in 1978 I got in showing a blue taxi card and a small photograph of Debbie Harry  :O

In the mid 2000's one of my AB's got in/out of MOD establishments quite easily with an ID card he'd fabricated which was similar to a MOD90. The difference being that where the photograph should go he inserted a snap of Bin laden and when the combined services logo should be he'd placed a copy of the SS runes,

The chap in question was ex Foreign Legion and whilst an extremely clever bloke had something of a screw loose - to put it lightly.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

UK repair and refit yards don't have the best reputation. I did a major dry-dock in Wallsend a few years ago on a big anchor handler and I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it. All the yard workers were on seven day contracts extended by a day after that week and all were old boys long past retirement age who frankly didn't give a toss. And given how they were treated I didn't blame them as when I looked at how they were treated I wouldn't have given a toss either. The yard equipment was a museum. I know its easy to deride management theories and people in sharp suits, but when you see how something like a ship yard operates with what appeared to be a complete absence of management of any sort it kind of makes you think that all that buzzword BS isn't as pointless as we like to claim. There was an RFA tanker alongside doing a major refit and the RFA guys were pulling their hair out. And having spent time in Portsmouth dockyard and Rosyth I wouldn't mark Wallsend down as being unusually bad. Compared to the big Asian yards it was past being embarrassing. And yet for all that, in terms of new construction I found that VT and BAE could work to a high standard. VT more than BAE but even BAE do a lot better than often given credit for. The construction yards are far better managed and with a more stable workforce than the ship repair sector.

but could one Typhoon (very good as it is) dispose of them all & survive ?    :stinker:

Doubtful it could do anything. The Sea Hawk, Gannet and their crews only needed a 1950's carrier to operate from.

Typhoon does of course require a land airbase, with the boys in light blue requiring nearby minimum 4 star hotels (ideally resorts) for billets and local 18 hole golf course which can issue temporary guest memberships.

• Like 2

but could one Typhoon (very good as it is) dispose of them all & survive ?    :stinker:

On the ground? No problem. In the air? I don't think it would be impossible, given its long range, multiple target acquisition, AMRAAM's and then Mauser gun, plus much higher manoeuvring speeds and turn angles, compared to those things. It did "take out" 3 x F16's on a test, as a guide. But I guess you might need two.....

• Like 1

UK repair and refit yards don't have the best reputation.

Hasn't this been a concern since perhaps the 16th century?

I'm trying to remember specifics but it is an on-going theme of chandlery and dockyards that contractors skim or build not quite to spec to increase their margins and a constant struggle for the Navy Board to maintain the standards that they paid for - even in the Royal Dockyards like Deptford, Woolwich, Portsmouth and Chatham. 

No less recently in the US with tweeted noise from the CinC about F35 costs or the Reagan era report on how much spare hammers cost the DoD. Google found this historical list covering US military expenditures.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

As did the UK & USA with tanks, the Sherman was cheap, easy to manufacture in large numbers, but not as "deadly" as the far fewer in number Panzer V & V1.

And on the occasions they came across Panthers and Tigers there are safer ways to overcome them (artillery or aircraft), while the Shermans could do their main job of supporting the infantry

All the best

Katy

The USSR demonstrated in WW2 that quantity has a quality of its own.

True, but that was then. In Kuwait and in Iraq, it was quality that won (the conventional part of the war anyway). In Afghanistan, the war become asymetric, and showed, as Vietnam did, that alternative methods can also work (but in those cases for the opposition).

I am not saying this is the case in fighting a conventional war, if, God forbid, we ever have to, with Russia or China. Their weaponry is reasonably equivalent to ours in quality, but their numerical superiority in those weapons is often over-stated (other than manpower available, and to a certain extent armour - it is not clear how many of the Russian tanks massed on borders are actually operational). We know their navies are tiny, and we know their operationally ready air forces are not as large as is made out. That does not argue against the clear fact that ours should be larger and have more capability, but we could never take them on alone anyway, so the question is, by how much more?

• Like 2