NEW OO gauge Crowdfunded Class 92 initiative

DJM Dave

I beg your patience for a couple of more days while it gets ironed out, and i'll post an update to both gauges by Friday PM when i'm hoping to formally announce tooling to commence in both gauges.

Apologies

Dave

Ben might have been referring to this promise of an update?

Edited by DavidH

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Any more on this Dave? As we're now halfway through the week after "next week"?

Hi chaps,

Still awaiting the engineers revision.
Literally any moment now (don't throw this back at me when it's appearing late next week though eh? Lol)

I assume you've closed the order book on the pre-orders?

Edited by njee20

Any more on this Dave?

Hi,

No news yet.

Is so close now is silly but there is just 1 area that needs looking at then we are off and running.

It could happen tomorrow or next week but I'm hoping tomorrow as you can imagine.

More as and only when I have it.

Cheers

Dave

come on give him a chance ... is anyone going to die because their model is a bit late in getting to the shops? Its hardly like the Bachmann Class 90 or 158 that's been coming for years and we rarely hear anything.

Dave better to get it right and be happy with it than rush and regret it later

• Like 1

come on give him a chance ... is anyone going to die because their model is a bit late in getting to the shops? Its hardly like the Bachmann Class 90 or 158 that's been coming for years and we rarely hear anything.

Indeed, better to delay to make it as accurate as possible.

The mistake Dave made was constantly say that he's either posting something at a certain time or getting revised CADs in a certain time period. And it's unfortunate that it's happened in 3 or more consecutive posts.

I think Dave can learn from this and simply say that he'll post CADs when it appears and he has no idea about an estd. arrival of these CADs.

On second thoughts Dave seemed eager to get the first CAD images posted, these initial CAD images did contain quite a few errors and the image resolution left a lot to be desired. Judging from that I fail to see why he didn't want to post the recent updates citing ".....and makes the cad/cam look, in my eyes, awful." That didn't make sense.

However there's many people who are eager to get their hands on a DJM product, so giving a timescale for something (even as small as a post) and not keeping upto it will result in people asking and I don't see the harm in it.

*Edited to sound a lot less exaggerated.

Edited by MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium

Yes, Sara nails it really. Dave gave very definite timelines, including the fact the order book would close 3 days ago, these dates have simply slipped by with nary a word, so merely curious if there was an update. Not chastising, moaning, or anything else.

I appear to still be able to order via Dave's website, and presume tooling hasn't started as CADs still aren't finalised. If the answer is "no news", that's fine, but I'd suggest Dave avoids making a rod for his own back by announcing timelines, we'll only ask him if they pass :)

Edited by njee20

The mistake Dave made was constantly say that he's either posting something at a certain time or getting revised CADs in a certain time period. And it's unfortunate that it's happened in 3 or more consecutive posts.

I think Dave can learn from this and simply say that he'll post CADs when it appears and he has no idea about an estd. arrival of these CADs.

On second thoughts Dave seemed eager to get the first CAD images posted, those were riddled with a lot of mistakes and the image resolution left a lot to be desired. Judging from that I fail to see why he didn't want to post the recent updates citing ".....and makes the cad/cam look, in my eyes, awful." That didn't make sense.

However there's many people who are eager to get their hands on a DJM product, so giving a timescale for something (even as small as a post) and not keeping upto it will result in people asking and I don't see the harm in it.

Hi,

Valid points and ones I'll take on.

I am literally playing a waiting game for the finished cads , but your comment 'riddled with a lot of mistakes' concerns me, and perhaps you'd be good enough to share those with us all so we can learn from your comments.

I read your concerns regarding side window and the front, but 'riddled' intimates that there are loads of mistakes.

However, I'm caught between stools at the minute as I really would like to go to tooling as I know my 92 will be a superb model, with multiple award winning provinance, and will live up to the strap line 'setting new standards', but if the cad is riddles with mistakes then I guess it's back to the drawing board for me.

So can i still pre order a 92 or not - am a bit confused?

Hi,

Yes you can but I'll remove the option to buy over the weekend.

However, all class 92 crowdfunders, no matter the gauge, can order extra class 92's in any livery up until the notified production date as an extra incentive / benefit of being part of this scheme.

To do so, simply e-mail me your original invoice number, I'll use your details, and issue a fresh invoice for the extra ones.

Don't forget, there will be a draw for both the OO and N gauge versions for rather a nice gift, plus a few runners up.

Members of this scheme will also qualify for some of the exclusive offers still to be announced that are model related and will not be offered by any other manufacturer.

These will be announced as we go along, but I think you'll all like them ;-)

Cheers

Dave

• Like 3

Hi,

Valid points and ones I'll take on.

I am literally playing a waiting game for the finished cads , but your comment 'riddled with a lot of mistakes' concerns me, and perhaps you'd be good enough to share those with us all so we can learn from your comments.

I read your concerns regarding side window and the front, but 'riddled' intimates that there are loads of mistakes.

Well I apologize for the overuse of the phrase "riddled with mistakes", I did however find some, bear in mind that you've only showed potential backers CAD images on two occasions and was in fairly quick succession of each other. So all my observations are based only on initial CAD images.

I take it that you know your Class 92 well and you've been able to do a good amount of R&D. I'm glad that you're very proud of the model in question...

So here's a list of errors that I've found, as I said it's from the only older CADs that we've seen and they weren't the best of resolutions, take it with a pinch of salt.

1) The basic shape of the cab roof was incorrect, the Class 92s had a noticeable dip in the profile, much like how Dapol captured the look on the Class 73's cab roof.

2) The rounded edges around the face of the cab were far too sharp and needed to be rounded more. The prototype had a more rounded face.

3) The etches on the roof concern me, note I am not pointing this out as an error, but rather a concern. from the CAD images you initially posted I thought it was a OO gauge model as the etches look really fine. In N gauge it would be like foil. Just a concern and I was looking for robustness. Bear in mind I personally feel that some grilles benefit from etching and some don't (like that really tiny one).

4) Cab window surrounds I've listed before and you're aware of that.

5) The Channel Tunnel logos again isn't an error, it's got more to do with positioning, it sits slightly lower that the lower edge of the cab side windows. However if the cab windows have a slightly thicker frame the positioning of the CT logos might get affected.

6) Wheel profile has actually amazed me, I was extremely blown away by the super fine profile of the wheels on an N gauge model, infact I mistook it for a RP25 profile wheel on an HO/OO gauge model. Not an error but rather some confusion.

7) Initial CADs turned up with a double lamp bracket on the face, though it has been corrected.

8) The handrail on the cab face is pretty much correct, initially thought it was chunky but chalked it down to the black edges on each surface. However the mountings for the handrail are incorrect, specifically the two inner ones only.

9) The roof on the Class 92 comprises on many parts that are actually removable and serve as a way of quick access. My only concern was the quality of the CAD wasn't at the best resolution and so I've listed what I think might be an error. The gap between the roof and the body runs horizontally and the before the cab it goes vertically up the diagonally once again horizontally and then vertically up and across the roof where the cab roof starts. The diagonal grove isn't clear from the pictures.

10) One of the features of the Class 92 that stands out is the black surrounds on the headlight. This seems to be lacking in your CAD.

11) The bodyside grille surrounds like the window surrounds look a bit thick, but again it just may be the low-res image.

12) The etched wiper actually shows the wiper in the outer position and not the inner position where they are closer to each other. Minro error but may also be variations in the actual wipers used.

13) From a few pictures that I saw the marked out parts on the roof equipment are either missing or wrong possibly. The first one is the piping which on your CAD takes a bit of a detour, though might have varied on the prototype and I might have seen one that runs more parallel. Secondly there's two insulators on the roof that sit at an angle, I recall seeing pictures of the being connected.

14) There's a socket just below the buffer beam that seems to be missing in the initial CAD.

post-27484-0-56572000-1489119021.jpg

post-27484-0-99711000-1489119024.jpg

post-27484-0-23837800-1489119027.jpg

post-27484-0-51590300-1489119029_thumb.jpg

post-27484-0-35720800-1489119032_thumb.jpg

post-27484-0-26462400-1489119035_thumb.jpg

However, I'm caught between stools at the minute as I really would like to go to tooling as I know my 92 will be a superb model, with multiple award winning provinance, and will live up to the strap line 'setting new standards', but if the cad is riddles with mistakes then I guess it's back to the drawing board for me. 

I really love your determination....but no, you don't have to go back to the drawing board. It's easier to modify the CAD.

Please don't take my feedback negatively, it's only based on older low-res images of the CAD. I am very much positive that a man such as yourself with a lot of high regards amongst many modelers will be able to pull it off an bring out what you term as "A superb model, with multiple award winning provinance and will live upto the strap line 'setting new standards'."

Regards and I wish you well with this project!

Edited by MGR Hooper!

Quick check before I place my order - which 00 models are suitable for class 92s as initially delivered? I know they will be grey ones, but not sure whether additional adornments listed came later.

That would be one of the un-numbered ones and 92023 with SNCF cab markings.  92030 Ashford was delivered with the name De Falla and no RfD markings.

OO gauge Class 92 crowdfunding 'order book' closes at Midnight Sunday 12th March!

Due to an error, i have extended the closing date for the OO gauge crowdfunded class 92 for a couple of days, but alas, this comes to an end tomorrow night at midnight.

Anyone who orders by then will be entitled to order further models before the production cut of date (to be notified once tooling is completed) at the existing offer. All Crowdfunders both OO and N will be put into the draw for the 2 great prizes (1 for each gauge) plus other prizes too.

Both gauges crowdfunders will also qualify for exclusive deals that will be unveiled as the tooling progresses.

Please note that the N gauge crowfunding will be held open for a few weeks to allow for 'late comers' to this project as more advertising hits the press.

Thanks

Dave

• Like 1