90048 was on display at Crewe Works Open Day on 21st July 1990 along with several class 91s, I would think that this was taken shortly afterwards

Jim

Hi Jim, it was through the week after the open day, 90048 was into traffic through the weeks after the open day in 1990.

I at the time needed a few 90`s, 90049 being one of them which I didn`t see at Crewe works it said by some enthusiasts that it was at the top of Crewe works, and other enthusiasts said it was in Crewe Electric.

Simon

( post edited for clarity )

Edited by SGJ

Only just seen this thread - coming from Lincolnshire, sparkies were always quite exotic & our paths rarely crossed, so I haven't got that many shots, but hopefully there are a few here that might interest people (I think Jez has already seen some of these).

Class 81

Class 82

Class 85

Class 86

Class 87

Class 89

Class 90

Class 91

Class 92

I know there are more somewhere (including at least one 83 at Euston), but as yet I haven't been able to find where I put them 'for safe keeping'... :secret:

Kevin

• Like 4

Why is this one in Belgian livery? :confused:

90 128-30 were painted in 'foreign' liveries (German/Belgian/French) as part of the freightconnection92 event. 90 136 also later got a version of French 'sybic' colours. Some of us 'sados' even did repaints of them all! Kev.

• Like 1

A couple more from the 1980s, locos stabled in bay platforms in the North West.

post-7081-0-85730000-1483806788_thumb.jpg

86204 and 47444 are stabled in the bays at Preston 7/3/83

post-7081-0-04338800-1483806892_thumb.jpg

Looking  north at Warrington Bank Quay, 85039 and 81021 wait to head north with a tank train, 40096 and 86001 await their next duties in the bay platform, 23/3/82

cheers

• Like 13

I apologise for the quality of these. These three pics show one train passing the site of the old Brinklow station on the Trent Valley line sometime in January 1979. No exact date or engine number I'm afraid.

post-7153-0-17874000-1483815339_thumb.pngpost-7153-0-62036100-1483815354.pngpost-7153-0-25332900-1483815367_thumb.png

Edited by Dick Turpin
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

I apologise for the quality of these. These three pics show one train passing the site of the old Brinklow station on the Trent Valley line sometime in January 1979. No exact date or engine number I'm afraid.

attachicon.gifPICT101.pngattachicon.gifPICT202.pngattachicon.gifPICT303.png

That last picture is interesting because it shows how the streamlining of the undersides of the Mk3s created a new problem. The snow is blown and channeled underneath and around the smooth sided Mk3s but is less apparent around the MK1 BG at the end, flow being more disrupted and turbulant. Snow gets where rain doesn't, Eurostar fairly recently suffered with snow ingress.

I remember one winter in the 80s where HST power cars were dropping like flys with power earth faults. By the time they got looked at on depot there was nothing detectable. The traction motor connections were bolted lugs and sleeved in a heat shrunk sleeving. If the sleeving had not been done properly or was deteriorating it allowed snow in which caused the earth faults. The nearest thing we could do to replicate the problem was to have a guy underneath pointing a jet wash at the connections while we tested the cables upstairs.

Don't know if the AC electrics had similar problems when the were shoving a push/pull set. Probably not if the connections were in sealed boxes like on most locos....

Dave

Don't know if the AC electrics had similar problems when the were shoving a push/pull set. Probably not if the connections were in sealed boxes like on most locos....

Dave

I read somewhere that the AC electrics used to connect up to the DVT when heading back to London as the snow affected them in push mode.

And a little more up to date, though a tad rare for Northallerton on the ECML, 21st August 2008. I think it's the only class 86 I have ever seen on this stretch of line. Light engine, travelling south towards York.

post-7153-0-83264800-1483887422_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dick Turpin
  • Like 9