Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

Ewe wanted sheep! I have debleted Dunsters population of them bah the way. Some of the flock came away stuck to their hoofs. 

post-8964-0-69963300-1409956883.jpg

post-8964-0-31411600-1409956898_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-80310300-1409956912_thumb.jpg

Mr's. Sasquatches over grown wild garden bit.

post-8964-0-20892100-1409956982_thumb.jpg

One more of the J50 lazing about Goathland.

post-8964-0-35903100-1409957032_thumb.jpg

Lastly a couple of those famous takes of the station one from the footpath and one from Cowarth bank over bridge of a class 4MT on parcels and fish.

post-8964-0-24484800-1409957179_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-92827700-1409957164_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

thanks Andy mate. I think the patches of green moss paint on the brick work really bring it alive! I'm going out there to paint some more stone work this evening and run a few slow goods trains. I might even get a couple of Stellas in and some Blondie on! 

• Like 2

Early good morning Shaun(here at least!),

Lovely shots mate, rode on the 4MT footplate with dad a couple of times in the early fifties at Hurlford MPD. Amazing contrast to the couple of Caley 0-6-0s that were still shunting there - the cab seemed the last word in comfort by comparison! The whole atmosphere is amazing and you have shown us the importance of the little touches that we sometimes don't even notice, but are so right!

Thanks for the memories and inspiration once again,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Early good morning Shaun(here at least!),

Lovely shots mate, rode on the 4MT footplate with dad a couple of times in the early fifties at Hurlford MPD. Amazing contrast to the couple of Caley 0-6-0s that were still shunting there - the cab seemed the last word in comfort by comparison! The whole atmosphere is amazing and you have shown us the importance of the little touches that we sometimes don't even notice, but are so right!

Thanks for the memories and inspiration once again,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Jock, You are most welcome!

I too have a soft spot for the class 4MT tanks. One of them was pulling the first steam train ride I had when I was 13. My granddad took me to the Bluebelle Railway on the bus (we didn't have a car) and had to walk 2miles from Chailey to Shefield Park. I have 3 Bachmann green mk1s that look just the ticket behind it but it looks great with almost any coaching stock! 

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1

Thats a great last pick. A great trick for water if you have an airbrush is to get a sheet of clear perspex that matches the contour of your river. airbrush the underside of it with a light coat of a water colohr of your choice. On the other side which is the top place lines of varnish and let them dry. After a few thin coats of varnish a good ripple effect will ensue and because the perspex is perfectly clear the water will take on a level of depth. Gorden gravett does this really well in pempoull.

• RMweb Premium

Since the sheep have been introduced onto the layout they seem have become a problem.

First they got into Mrs. Sasquatches lovely post office garden...........

post-8964-0-32327100-1410073975_thumb.jpg

Then they wandered onto the platform disrupting Mr. Sasquatches running session....

post-8964-0-00602000-1410074144_thumb.jpg

One of them tried to stow-away on a goods service to Whitby, cheeky monkey!

post-8964-0-77367800-1410074326_thumb.jpg

This one took up residence in one of the goods brake vans.

post-8964-0-06465300-1410074430_thumb.jpg

As for this one............ Well I ask you............

post-8964-0-56315700-1410074490_thumb.jpg

What's needed are a couple of border collies........

Scottie the highland terrier seems to have them under control for now.

post-8964-0-57745100-1410074632_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Al mate. Had real fun out there this evening, as I was painting the river bridge the work ground to a halt to watch the J50 haul a pair of Thompsons over the viaduct every 2 minutes! It felt like being in a miniature village! Need to get a shower and get my head down. Tomorrow I'll do a set of pics based on Goathlands War Weekend. If tonights sleep isn't disturbed by Raccoons, deer, skunks or some other vermin I hope to tackle the viaduct repaint too.    

• Like 3

I agree about the water. I will sand it down with 220 grit sand paper and give it two coats of boat varnish!

I wouldn't worry about sanding, even if it ripples it will just look like a gentle breeze on the surface.  And it will save your poor hands too. I once asked the question on DitD and 2manyspams basically said the more layers the better. Well I think his exact words was about 8 layers is the 'charm'.....he did not use charm.....my memory fails me for the words....but i took note of the idea.

Shaun the sheep......hmmmmm......love the sheeps...even if you are baaaa..rking mad......

perhaps you need your own two dogs to help keep things all sheep shape.....

don't over do the Stellas and Blondes? Tut tut.....you'll have Mrs Sasquatch after you with a broom......and we don't want any accidents in that layout room.....although if she does lay you out...can we have a picture :angel:

Your Goathland just goes from strength to strength, and the sheep do tend to get just anywhere.....lucky you don't have any outside privies..... :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

OK OK ...I know it was good.....but TWO times? LOL. I like the Montgomery lookalike.

VERY NYMR.......super........

You have a good point there Jaz. That just might be him! I think he came with a Matchbox model kit of Montys caravan I built when I was a kid!!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Please click on these images to bring them alive and enjoy.

post-8964-0-31608200-1410147364_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-05784200-1410147388_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-60707700-1410147408_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-82116600-1410147340_thumb.jpg

Mrs. S. was wondering what all the fuss was about finding batteries about 5:30.

Thanks for checking in.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 14

Absolutely brilliant lighting in that last batch of photographs. There were lots of great posts to read since I was last here just a couple of days ago. As usual Mrs S's gardens look amazing and of course the sheep appealed...

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Shaun for more great pics but what have you used for the roadway in the last pic please?

Bodge

Crafters acrylic paint with PVA and fine sand, mixed. Do this in a flat tub and spoon it on then spread out with a short stiff brush. My scenic techniques are old school and all water based which means you can mix and match almost anything! For instance you could mix water based wood filler and water and PVA then add the required paint colour to fill gaps in walling or to seat buildings! 

I even thin the acrylics with water and spray it directly onto the scenics. When Dunster was looking dusty I done this to all the grass with great results, thats why some of the sheep look a bit green!

Edited by Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely brilliant lighting in that last batch of photographs. There were lots of great posts to read since I was last here just a couple of days ago. As usual Mrs S's gardens look amazing and of course the sheep appealed...

Thanks John. I've been spending quite a bit of time out in the train house and am bringing Goathland up to scratch. First repairs then repaints. Next the uncoupling system is going in before I add lots of detail goodies. Trouble is it's taking so long as I just get into running the trains!

• RMweb Gold

The latest photos are absolutely superb Shaun, and it's very, very difficult to distinguish them from the real thing.

Brilliant mate, just brilliant.

You should stick a couple on here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67-how-realistic-are-your-models-photo-challenge/page-103