Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Gold

"It's the second sign of madness talking to ones self, right after rivet counting"

A-huh...

And the third sign is posting the whole conversation to an internet forum... :D

Nice job of the bolts mate, looks great!

Al.

• RMweb Premium

I see what you mean Jaz but I can assure you that's not snow! It's the glare off of the already burnt grass! It was 84F in the shade today and it's still hot at 10pm!! I'll do you some more pics in the morning. No paint though as it felt too hot in there! I went into the barn and set up some of my machinery instead.

post-8964-0-04440200-1403500782_thumb.jpg

The red eye filter doesn't work on dogs!

post-8964-0-14720100-1403500803_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Back to the LNER diagram 23 fish van.

One side is complete as are the ends. The inset shows how I did the brackets by punching the bolts out then cutting the shape whilst still attached to the piece of .010" sheet. When this one's finished I'm doing the NER Diagram F6 of 1911 and have raided the scrap box etc. for as many parts as possible.

post-8964-0-80349700-1403553299.jpgpost-8964-0-15859800-1403553337.jpg

post-8964-0-78496000-1403553321_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

3/4 view.

post-8964-0-55356900-1403572621_thumb.jpg

Let's see what the Airfix inspector makes of it before clearing it for the paint shop.

Parkside UF details with 1mm rodding, Dapol wheels, Bachmann couplings held in Chivers mounts and staples for safety loops.

post-8964-0-18379500-1403572721_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Bauxite primer by Krylon. It'll get some fine cleaning and one more coat in the morning, I think the Krylon is a good match for LNER freight stock bauxite so by the time it gets weathered it'll be spot on.

post-8964-0-19139200-1403584452.jpg

• Like 5

Shaun,

Now I'm not only envious of your evident modellers skill, but of your fantastic railway room and workshop too! Very inspirational workmanship on the van as ever. Makes my projected efforts on the old Airfix minerals look like a 'piece of cake'!

Look forward to the next set of images, thanks mate,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jock mate.

Am inundated with chores today, that'll teach me to sit on my a@#h all day building fish vans. It doesn't hurt to take a day off once in a while I guess. The wood shop needs finishing as there's a chance of work! Suppose I'd better get that done before I do the train room, am very exited to get the Goathland layout up and running. It's been two years since trains have run on it. There'll be plenty of picture then I promise!!

All the Best

Shaun

• Like 1

[quote name="Sasquatch" post="1492768" I am very exited to get the Goathland layout up and running. It's been two years since trains have run on it. There'll be plenty of picture then I promise!!

All the Best

Shaun

Looking forward to that! I'm sure Jaz and Kal will understand if I say yours is the best Goathland I've seen (Wait til the AV crew are finished, however!... ;) )

Tony.

edit: I did something wrong with the quote. It's OK-ish though?

Edited by Brass0four
  • Like 2

We are always referring to Sasquatch's layout. It inspired us because of the amount of research so clearly included. And Sasquatch has been really helpful...a true gent and as I have quoted on Av plenty of times ...it was because of his standards we had to tear ours up....in order to improve it....whilst checking his out on regular occasions.  :sungum: .

[quote name="Sasquatch" post="1492768" I am very exited to get the Goathland layout up and running. It's been two years since trains have run on it. There'll be plenty of picture then I promise!!

All the Best

Shaun

Looking forward to that! I'm sure Jaz and Kal will understand if I say yours is the best Goathland I've seen (Wait til the AV crew are finished, however!... ;) )

Tony.

edit: I did something wrong with the quote. It's OK-ish though?

it's losing a pesky [...] when you are editing that often causes problems...

• RMweb Premium

Some thought has gone into this fish van roof. In the past additional arch pieces were scribed with a compass and the roof fashioned from two 0.010" plastic card glued together around a tin of soup or some such suitable round object. This is tricky to do and get right.

So........this time I tried something different, employing my wood work skills. First four 0.060" x 0.060" plastic strip were cut to the same length and fixed in the inside corners then a 5mm thick bit of soft wood (well seasoned alder in this case) cut to fit in the space at the top. I then used a bull nose plane to trim it down before rounding smooth on the belt sander. Next job will be to stick down some card with contact adhesive.

post-8964-0-75077500-1403668352_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-96836100-1403668370_thumb.jpg

Oh .....

Neat idea. Have you added extra weight in the bottom to compensate for the higher centre of gravity, or is the alder really light weight?

Neil

Oh..... I had visions of it going around corners.....and.......falling over.....like a beached whale........

Yes! 2oz of metal plate is stuck in with sticky pad. The alder was very light weight before I sanded it!!

Ah......no whale stew then.

That would never have occurred to me. And yet once asked an obvious problem on tight fast curves....Helixes.....would be fun... :no:

• RMweb Gold

... an obvious problem on tight fast curves ...

Or maybe even when needing to go slow, or stop on very super-elevated curves! :blackeye:

But Shaun obviously has it covered!

Neil

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Wow....a big 'blank canvass'. Plenty of potential for something really special here Mr S.  Will be following this one.

Dave

Mrs. Shmbo say's I must be patient and that we should plaster the whole place out. Do it properly like. I'd rather spend the money on some plywood and code 75 myself. In the long term I guess she's right (again)!

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1