Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

The list of critters the cat keeps bringing in keeps getting bigger. Have just removed a wren from his mouth, luckily it flew off unharmed. We have found 2 scorpions  under the dining table (where he regularly leaves his kills) and last week there was a 12" lizard in the kitchen hissing at me from behind the trash bin.

• Like 2

Reading the above Shaun just made me shudder, I'm not into snakes, spiders, or any form of Bug, Beetle or basically anything that's NOT Dog, Cat or Human, So that also rules out some women I've known as well, ahhahhhhaaaaa.

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Cats you say......................Luckily this one's too big for the cat flap!

post-8964-0-38345400-1402074813_thumb.jpg

Here you go Bodge.................Hahahahaaaaaa.

post-8964-0-00118000-1402075252_thumb.jpg

I wish I'd have snapped a pic of the alligator lizard too now.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Your heart would stop if you saw one! then the adrenalin rush would kick in so hard!!!!

There were foot prints left by a cougar in the flower beds when we live out at emigrant lake. We had to keep our cats in at night!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Some of the latest additions to the wagon fleet need some attention so with my spare time today I set about making a start. Firstly a list has been drawn up of all that needs doing, some re-wheeling  but mostly weathering and loads. All involved were measured and blocks of wood selected for their thickness. These were ripped to the nearest 1/2mm and cut to length. Each was checked for fit and named underneath before getting fashioned into a mound shape on a belt sander. The coal is fixed with black jack roofing glue, the kind that comes in a mastic type tube.

post-8964-0-92564200-1402988803_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-91367500-1402988821_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-27704100-1402988843_thumb.jpg

Manvers Main is a Slaters kit that I assembled during the England Vs Italy game. All 9 coal wagons await the weathering box.

post-8964-0-83244900-1402988916_thumb.jpg

M.O.Y. is the nicely weathered Bachmann wagon. A little rust here and there will improve its rundown condition.

post-8964-0-47064700-1402988934_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Next I tackled some scrap loads for some Hi-Fits and a slope-sided mineral.

5mm pieces of MDF were cut to fit each wagon and labeled etc.

post-8964-0-47205000-1402991363_thumb.jpg

Then the fun part, break out the quick cure super-glue and get creative. The scrap has been collected from offcuts, spare parts and cut up bits of trash etc. in an old cheese tub.

post-8964-0-46311300-1402991377_thumb.jpg

As soon as the glue has set grey and bauxite primers were sprayed on with a little matt black for good measure. When this is dry I'll get to work with some thinners and the rust tone weathering powders.

post-8964-0-21375100-1402991392_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-58986700-1402991409_thumb.jpg

Hopefully more tomorrow.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I have followed for a while and read through the lot so thought it was about time I posted something! These loads look great (like the rest of your work). Have you considered placing a small magnet under the surface to allow unloading without tipping them upside down, or do you have another technique in mind?

I'm very jealous of the space you have so am watching keenly as you fill it!

Regards, Neil

• RMweb Premium

Great work Shaun - hope you don't mind if I copy that method when I get round to detailing some Airfix/Dapol 16T Minerals for my coaling stage module.

Thanks and kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Jock.

Thanks and I'd be happy if you copy the idea, am glad as that's the whole point of my post! The only thing I'd change would be using better coal!

We used real coal for our coal then poured some PVA over it to stop it releasing any dust. 

Love the workshop.

Sorry to miss the lizard, we once owned 39 snakes, a previous hobby. We had scorpions who just pulled the legs of their 'dinner' and left them to wriggle....it was a bit yucky. And then I ran out of clean stone so tried some cat litter.....not a good idea the fumes killed the scorpions!!!! Who knew they had fumes!!!!!!

Result with trading plumbing for carpentry.... :sungum: .......tho I suspect you will put in a lot more work than he does.

• RMweb Premium

I have followed for a while and read through the lot so thought it was about time I posted something! These loads look great (like the rest of your work). Have you considered placing a small magnet under the surface to allow unloading without tipping them upside down, or do you have another technique in mind?

I'm very jealous of the space you have so am watching keenly as you fill it!

Regards, Neil

Welcome Neil!

Thank you for your encouraging comments mate.

Washers have been employed in the past and work well! Alas the coal has never been lifted so I decided to save a couple of dollars.

There are short falls of acquiring such space. We live way out in the boondocks for a start and warming that garage during the winter months isn't going to be cheap! The barn has a wood stove but putting one in the garage isn't a good idea due to the mess it will create on the models!

Shaun.   

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Welcome back Jaz,  (I almost typed mate and thought "hang on we don't use that term for the gentler sex") ..........Friend...... :sungum:

It's been very quiet on here what with poor Bodge being taken I'll and your pole issues. The lads were having a field day on yours and Kals thread during your absence I almost joined in for a moment there but thought better of it.

May be I'll spread some small amounts of cat litter around our house if it kills scorpions. I must make racks for all the wood storage and seal the bottoms of all the cabinets etc.in my barn/workshop as they seem to like it in there a lot too.  Nasty little blighters scorpions but I can see why keeping them as pets would make a good hobby, there is something fascinating about them.

The plumber has already fixed our fridge for free!!!!

Squatch.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

This lot took a few hours to weather this morning, 7 in all. They had their portraits done on Dunster.

Two of the coal wagons. Still 8 to go which I'm hesitant over due to most of them being Mainline ones which I picked up on eBay for about $4-5 each, brand new in their boxes.

post-8964-0-69859300-1403037219_thumb.jpg

Ivatt #46526 on shunting duty.

post-8964-0-90254200-1403037397_thumb.jpg

The scrap wagons.

This Bachmann one has rusty doors which shows neglect on behalf of the painters when applying the primer. It's Ministry of Transport perhaps that explains it!

post-8964-0-97472900-1403037819_thumb.jpg

Here' a Parkside build.

post-8964-0-58000400-1403038019_thumb.jpg

Compared to the newest Bachmann example, a High-Bar. The picture shows up neglect on my part this time as the light weathering dust from below was missed.

post-8964-0-98015200-1403038260_thumb.jpg

Another Bachmann High-fit, this time the earlier unfitted N.E. version. The inclusion of a couple of unfitted wagons behind the vacuum brake fitted examples will require a brake van to be added to the train.

post-8964-0-69135900-1403037459_thumb.jpg

Two kit builds. The N.E. 6 plank is from Cambrian models but has been converted to a diagram 92 with the under frame from a Parkside van. The pillbox is also by Cambrian.

post-8964-0-63075900-1403037774_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

The wagons look superb, Shaun. I love the line-side fencing they are posed in front of too!

Match sticks and beading wire. I'll pop a pic up when I find the SD card! Or ............checkout the Dunster thread below!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have to agree, popping your models on a bit of scenery really lifts them. Lovely work. Like your rust particularly.

Thanks Jaz. I dip the weathering brush in thinner before the rust powder. Then when it's dried, the weathering powder is applied which also tones down the rust. I keep a little pallet of rust in the weathering box which uses 4 shades of rust!   

• Like 1

Your heart would stop if you saw one! then the adrenalin rush would kick in so hard!!!!

There were foot prints left by a cougar in the flower beds when we live out at emigrant lake. We had to keep our cats in at night!!!

I think, I saw some cat scarers for gardens,on ebay.....

Match sticks and beading wire. I'll pop a pic up when I find the SD card! Or ............checkout the Dunster thread below!

Just looked - utterly amazing work, mate

I'll note that one for 2016 when i finally get round to scenics

what size drill bit did you use?

• RMweb Premium

Just looked - utterly amazing work, mate

I'll note that one for 2016 when i finally get round to scenics

what size drill bit did you use?

0.50mm!..... 3 of them!!    The beading wire used was 0.35mm I think. I have since found some that's 0.20. You get 300' for $9.50!!! https://www.etsy.com/listing/59294887/wildfire-thread-black-008?ref=shop_home_active_24

I have just seen that they have 0.15mm in black too!

Will be making some similar fencing on Queensbury. So will do a step by step and this time I want to rip better wood than match sticks and try to get them thinner!

Edited by Sasquatch

Shaun, I agree with Lee - the fencing sets off the models beautifully. The G&SWR used wire and post fencing behind Barleith Halt (near Hurlford 67B) that I hope to include in a model eventually. So I'll also be looking on with interest and checking where to get 'beading wire' locally. Superb weathering by the way!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1