Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

Thank you for the lead reference the difference in water cranes. I had not noticed either. Kal say it looks as though it could have started life as the same then an extender bit been added to lengthen the horizontal, and the cone added to allow the chain to work. I just need to make my box, so I snuck in here to pursue yours, saves so much time on my research.... :angel:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jaz,
In older pictures the water crane stands at the platform end. This picture explains why it has been extended, it stands next to a point so it's further back! the cone would therefore be to add height for the support truss!! I wonder if they modified the old one from the platform end or obtained a new one? Where's Boris when you need him??
Now I feel like modifying the one on our layout too. I will use .010 plastic card for the tank and punch rivets from the rear. Some suitable plastic tube sliced into little rings with .015x.030 strip for the details!
post-8964-0-46689800-1399661239.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 3

I wondered if shrink wrap (the type for electrical wires) might sort the bits at the bottom 

edit = oops not shrink wrap.....heat shrink

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

Sasquatch

Thank you very much for the molds. They arrived in the post. almost fainted at the cost of the post you paid though!!!! As the weather warms and i go out to the garage, I will have a go.I will be bothering you with questions once I get on the job tho.....

• RMweb Premium

No worries about the postal Jaz, 10KM per penny ain't bad!

The rain has set in here so I'm having a go at modifying that Hornby water column that stands at the down line at Goathland, just can't live with it the way it is now that we have found the details are all wrong. Wasn't happy with the little drip tank anyhow and I got the steps all wrong too. 

post-8964-0-79606600-1399674657.jpg 

I started by turning a suitable bit of round sprue in the cordless drill to make  the top cone shape, then cut the Hornby one up with a razor saw and Stanley knife. "Gasp" I here you say, "those sell for 20 quid on eBay!  HA ha!!

Next I went to Google earth and located a view of the column in question and opened the street view with images then adjusted the size to match the one in hand. From this I  sourced two bits of plastic from an old Ratio oil depot kit from the scrap box to match the sizes. The chain is by Roco minitanks , blackened in the poisons blue liquid blackener. The rod is 1/2mm.

post-8964-0-78278200-1399674867.jpgpost-8964-0-11019600-1399674889.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Glued with rapid setting super glue. Painted with Humbrol #73

The tank next.

post-8964-0-52614600-1399679063.jpg

post-8964-0-61084400-1399679081_thumb.jpg

I know, I know. The column doesn't line up with the tank!!!!

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

The plasticard attempt didn't work out, so...................................................

To make the tank, the water tower was pressed into some flattened Plasticine. This was trimmed to size and shored up with lolly sticks. As only one casting is needed Plasticine makes for a good disposable mold.
post-8964-0-62560800-1399697233.jpg
Two part plastic was mixed and poured in.
post-8964-0-01457200-1399697248.jpg
20 minutes later it was ready to be removed and the Plasticine removed with fine tweezers.
post-8964-0-97095600-1399697262.jpg
New steps are narrower, made up from scrap box bits.
post-8964-0-93624600-1399701497.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 2

The plasticard attempt didn't work out, so...................................................

To make the tank, the water tower was pressed into some flattened Plasticine. This was trimmed to size and shored up with lolly sticks. As only one casting is needed Plasticine makes for a good disposable mold.

attachicon.gifTank mold.JPG

Two part plastic was mixed and poured in.

attachicon.gifTank pour.JPG

20 minutes later it was ready to be removed and the Plasticine removed with fine tweezers.

attachicon.gifTank casting.JPG

New steps are narrower, made up from scrap box bits.

attachicon.gifNew Tank.JPG

beautiful piece of work.....once Kal sees this I think ours will be in pieces again........I had the tank bits ready to go, so when I get time i'll put them up for comaprision, love the way you addressed the chain, superb craftsmanship. I found some stairs  too, just.need to check the height.....

excellent work.  :sungum:

• Like 1