Magic Glue

Found this stuff in Lidl today, it isn't really magic, but I found it useful. My eyes aren't what they were and sometimes I miss areas where there should be glue, only to find the paper peeling off the card later. This stuff shews as purple at first then, after a little while, it becomes clear.

Not sure how long it will be in stock but I intend to grab a few more packets while it is available. It was 99p when I bought it today.

post-11988-0-43959100-1470158207.jpgpost-11988-0-60946300-1470158219.jpg

I had some purple ones of a different brand, but in much smaller containers, so they didn't last long. I found it useful. I bulk buy the biggest Pritt sticks I can find, and I'm a bit cautious about buying cheap makes in case they don't work as well. Big, cheap coloured ones would be useful though when I'm trying to cover almost a whole A4 sheet in one go.

That's why I only initially bought the one packet. I used it today and found that it was quite grabby but allowed me time to fine adjust the placement of the paper on the card. I haven't found any evidence of paper lifting off so far. It doesn't seem as "lumpy" as some of the usual brands can sometimes be.

I have some, as you have said, it's good on white paper especially under artificial light. Mine is made by Pritt.

As a nipper I used 'Magic Gloy' at school... at least I thought it was magic, it didn't show up on one's pullover until you were within range of a thick ear....!

I didn't realize that other manufacturers produced something similar, that's good as Lidl often only have limited sticks of certain products, usually the ones that I want!

Did Gloy hace that weird rubber top that you had to bend backwards to get the glue out?

Hi Anthony, no, my Gloy of memory came in a non-tip conical bottle with a wooden lid that the teacher pushed a brush through. The idea was that as the level went down you pushed the brush through further...but naughty boys [not me, Miss!] pushed the brush right down so that when you went to the gluing table the whole length of the handle was covered in glue which ran all down over your job and the floor an' an' an yer wooly-pully...

I think the 'rubber thingy' was on bottles of  'Lepages Mucilage' [sp?], don't ask which deeply hidden brain cell that was lodged in!

Doug

I know, that's why I probably hit on the word! [i checked, I did spell it correctly!]

On a similarly nostalgic note, Mrs Bennett, Class 3A1, Queen's Road Primary School was very forward thinking for the 1950s. She read us Jrr Tolkien's 'The Hobbit', CS Forester 'The Gun', children's versions of Joseph Conrad's 'Lord Jim' and 'The Secret Agent' [recently televised] taught us about sewage works, and helped us build a 'Globe' Theatre and surrounding buildings in cardboard in [about] 'O' gauge. [With Gloy] Not that it was all bean-bags etc,we had to learn 'vocabulerry and spelin', say our times tables up to '13-times' and learn about the huge papier-mache models of insects and spiders she made during the holidays. Can't have been many 8-9 years old who knew 'head, thorax, abdomen, spiracles', how to definitively identify a butterfly as opposed to a moth, or who handled a preserved bat! She encouraged my already voracious reading, took all 20-odd of us [on a public service bus, fare 4d, I seem to recall,] to the big library where we learned of the Dewey Decimal System, We had a trip to Ash Ranges to see Green Lizards and collect things for the 'nature table'. Just one little lady teacher in a long tweed skirt and brogues and a whole class of enthralled 'oiks'.

A thick ear for getting glue on your blazer was a small price to pay for being set off on a continuing path of appreciation and wonder for what surrounds us. How many of us had equally inspiring teachers, I wonder?

Doug

• RMweb Gold

I had some purple ones of a different brand, but in much smaller containers, so they didn't last long. I found it useful. I bulk buy the biggest Pritt sticks I can find, and I'm a bit cautious about buying cheap makes in case they don't work as well. Big, cheap coloured ones would be useful though when I'm trying to cover almost a whole A4 sheet in one go.

Sometimes the glue is so poor it can be useful. Tesco do a budget 'glue stick' that doesn't stick at all. It merely adds a 'post it note' quality to what it's applied to so it's great for temporary positioning.

Griff

Sometimes the glue is so poor it can be useful. Tesco do a budget 'glue stick' that doesn't stick at all. It merely adds a 'post it note' quality to what it's applied to so it's great for temporary positioning.

Griff

But not so good if you only use the stuff for permanent positioning! Like building Scalescenes kits.

• RMweb Gold

But not so good if you only use the stuff for permanent positioning! Like building Scalescenes kits.

Actually paper laminations, as found in Scalescene kits, would be a perfect use for the qualities of this glue but not for permanent bonding obviously.

Griff

Archived