The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those who like Aircraft pictures

DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold

That video reminds me….

There's a nice nod to aviation history at Heathrow. The so-called ground reporting points which, in reality, are the normal clearance limits for the ground controllers for aircraft departing from runway 09R are named after aircraft builders with the names altered to fit a five letter, phonetic format. If you’re reading this thread, they’ll be perfectly obvious. They are:

AVROE, HORKA, OSTER, VIKAS, DASSO and HANLI.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

A lady neighbour asked my brother and I if we would mind chaperoning her 18 yr old daughter, for a day at Farnborough, as she had expressed a wish to go to see the Air Show.  My brother made all the arrangements and the lady also paid everything for us to go.

It was an amazing show, as it was the first showing of the Victor and Vulcan, along with the first public show of the Flying Bedstead [for those who may not be quite that old - that was the very early development of what was to become a Harrier, but without any outer clothing.]  The Victor and Vulcan were amazing, as nothing like that power had been seen, in public, let alone something that size flung around the sky like that.  The crowd were justifiably "gob-smacked". 

Shortly after those had landed again, they pointed out the "Bedstead" across the far side of the runway, another open mouth job for the crowd.  there was a thin metal frame, into which fitted a, large for the time, jet engine.  The engine had large directable nozzles, either side, not seen in public before much like the, now familiar, Harrier ones.  It also had four strange lengths of smaller pipes stuck out from the top, one each front, rear and sides, with ends bent to point downwards.  That was it, just that and no other aircraft parts...  oh, well that is apart from a chair stuck on the engine with a person sitting on it!!!  We were informed that this person was going to demonstrate how this aircraft [???] could take off and land vertically.  "Oh, ho, ho, ho!  What great jest were they lining up, after those huge white beasts, we had just witnessed?"  Almost immediately there was a truly deafening bellow from the jet engine, which got steadily louder, - and louder - and louder!  After a while, the engine rose very slowly off the ground and hovered, moved slightly forward, backward, sideways, then managed a small yaw and back, hovered some more than landed.  [N.B. It was such a new development that, they had slack tethers fitted to it so that it couldn't go too far, if it did get out-of-hand.]

Eventually the show ended and some of the aircraft left, including the two white giants, with a, completely unexpected, formation, take-off.  It was absolutely, utterly, mind-blowing, even more so than their already stunning display items.  They howled down the runway, lifted off, then flew level, cleaned up, gathering more speed - then -  lifted the noses to the vertical, straight up they went, until they disappeared behind a few clouds.  It sounds simple, these days, but was another completely stunning "first" for the crowd, who seemed well pleased with all the things they had never imagined they might ever see.  [N.B.  I have never seen any film of that take-off. I can only imagine it wasn't listed as an item in the display programme, so there would be few cameras filming.  Perhaps, I just haven't looked hard enough and someone might be able to post a link to one.] 

What a privileged gift and totally amazing day that lady had presented to three rather young people, who would never forget the sights, sounds and new revelations that day delivered.

[Edit:  I may be giving the wrong impression about the Victor and Vulcan displaying together at the Show, for the first time.  If this proves not to be the case, then you can blame the commentator at the time, as he said it was.  I am aware that both of them had been seen at earlier Farnborough Shows, but presumably as singletons representing the V bomber force.]

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, jcredfer said:

A lady neighbour asked my brother and I if we would mind chaperoning her 18 yr old daughter, for a day at Farnborough, as she had expressed a wish to go to see the Air Show.  My brother made all the arrangements and the lady also paid everything for us to go.

It was an amazing show, as it was the first showing of the Victor and Vulcan, along with the first public show of the Flying Bedstead [for those who may not be quite that old - that was the very early development of what was to become a Harrier, but without any outer clothing.]  The Victor and Vulcan were amazing, as nothing like that power had been seen, in public, let alone something that size flung around the sky like that.  The crowd were justifiably "gob-smacked". 

Shortly after those had landed again, they pointed out the "Bedstead" across the far side of the runway, another open mouth job for the crowd.  there was a thin metal frame, into which fitted a, large for the time, jet engine.  The engine had large directable nozzles, either side, not seen in public before much like the, now familiar, Harrier ones.  It also had four strange lengths of smaller pipes stuck out from the top, one each front, rear and sides, with ends bent to point downwards.  That was it, just that and no other aircraft parts...  oh, well that is apart from a chair stuck on the engine with a person sitting on it!!!  We were informed that this person was going to demonstrate how this aircraft [???] could take off and land vertically.  "Oh, ho, ho, ho!  What great jest were they lining up, after those huge white beasts, we had just witnessed?"  Almost immediately there was a truly deafening bellow from the jet engine, which got steadily louder, - and louder - and louder!  After a while, the engine rose very slowly off the ground and hovered, moved slightly forward, backward, sideways, then managed a small yaw and back, hovered some more than landed.  [N.B. It was such a new development that, they had slack tethers fitted to it so that it couldn't go too far, if it did get out-of-hand.]

Eventually the show ended and some of the aircraft left, including the two white giants, with a, completely unexpected, formation, take-off.  It was absolutely, utterly, mind-blowing, even more so than their already stunning display items.  They howled down the runway, lifted off, then flew level, cleaned up, gathering more speed - then -  lifted the noses to the vertical, straight up they went, until they disappeared behind a few clouds.  It sounds simple, these days, but was another completely stunning "first" for the crowd, who seemed well pleased with all the things they had never imagined they might ever see.  [N.B.  I have never seen any film of that take-off. I can only imagine it wasn't listed as an item in the display programme, so there would be few cameras filming.  Perhaps, I just haven't looked hard enough and someone might be able to post a link to one.] 

What a privileged gift and totally amazing day that lady had presented to three rather young people, who would never forget the sights, sounds and new revelations that day delivered.

[Edit:  I may be giving the wrong impression about the Victor and Vulcan displaying together at the Show, for the first time.  If this proves not to be the case, then you can blame the commentator at the time, as he said it was.  I am aware that both of them had been seen at earlier Farnborough Shows, but presumably as singletons representing the V bomber force.]

You chaperoned an 18-year-old young lady and all you can talk about is the aircraft? Well played, sir!

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

There are no prizes for guessing where I am now…!

IMG_1792.jpeg.4273a14476b6b1b718184952e8a1081c.jpeg

It’s not the world’s greatest photo but it’s a rare shot that has three A380s. If you have time in Dubai Terminal 1, there is an excellent vantage point from the food court above the check-in desks. We had coffee there as we recovered from the overnight flight from Samarkand. Fly Dubai did a decent job to be fair - it’s the budget carrier of Emirates but the service was entirely adequate. Good job really as they are flying us to Istanbul on Sunday…

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Flanged Wheel said:

There are no prizes for guessing where I am now…!

IMG_1792.jpeg.4273a14476b6b1b718184952e8a1081c.jpeg

It’s not the world’s greatest photo but it’s a rare shot that has three A380s. If you have time in Dubai Terminal 1, there is an excellent vantage point from the food court above the check-in desks. We had coffee there as we recovered from the overnight flight from Samarkand. Fly Dubai did a decent job to be fair - it’s the budget carrier of Emirates but the service was entirely adequate. Good job really as they are flying us to Istanbul on Sunday…

Pre-Covid you could see three Emirates A380s on the ground at Auckland - each bound for Dubai via Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Some pictures at Gatwick last Saturday, the Air China A350 was my ride to Shanghai, there was another Air China A350 being prepared to operate a flight to Beijing.

AirChina350-108.JPG

AirChina350-109.JPG

ChinaE777-44.JPG

TUI 787-4.JPG

EK380-79.JPG

Delta330-29.JPG

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I saw a pair of F35 fighters fly over Marina Bay heading towards Paya Lebar yesterday, it was notable that the low observable stealth features don't include noise suppression. They were as loud as F16's.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

13 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I saw a pair of F35 fighters fly over Marina Bay heading towards Paya Lebar yesterday, it was notable that the low observable stealth features don't include noise suppression. They were as loud as F16's.

It’s an ugly little thing isn’t it ? Clever but ugly…

I’be heard various nicknames - “ battle penguin “……” fat Amy “ ( USA )

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

A dismal sight, looks like a former Air India 777 on it's way to the Gillette factory.

I think it is actually an ex-VIM Airlines B777-200 c/n 28998 last registered as EI-UNU.  Given the way the airline collapsed I wonder who actually owns the it.   Perhaps the airport seized it?

Steve

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Unfortunately it was a dismal day in Shanghai last Sunday, but some stuff which was nice to see despite the awful day.

SU777-1.jpg

What is the Aeroflot bird? It looks familiar, but I just cannot place it. Heck, most modern jets are like cars to me, they all look the same! 🙁

EDIT: The only difference: 2, 3, or 4 engines!

I prefer cloudy days for photography, fewer shadows and a more consistent light level; just my own opinion. 

As an aside, a friend used to say "Sunny 16".

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add a comment
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

What is the Aeroflot bird? It looks familiar, but I just cannot place it. Heck, most modern jets are like cars to me, they all look the same! 🙁

EDIT: The only difference: 2, 3, or 4 engines!

B777, with their fleet now being ‘western’ and under trade spares embargoes, its interesting what will happen in the future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, PMP said:

B777, with their fleet now being ‘western’ and under trade spares embargoes, its interesting what will happen in the future.

They will have to cannibalize.....

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

They will have to cannibalize.....

For non lifed items that’s relatively easy. For lifed items and rotables things will already be getting pretty sketchy as far as safety critical components go. 😶

• RMweb Premium

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/boeing-cut-17000-jobs-delay-first-777x-delivery-strike-hits-finances-2024-10-11/

Been all over the news but yet another sad indicator of how far Boeing has fallen. Another delay to the 777X is going to really annoy some of their most important customers and no doubt cost Boeing a fortune.

2 hours ago, PMP said:

For non lifed items that’s relatively easy. For lifed items and rotables things will already be getting pretty sketchy as far as safety critical components go. 😶

Agreed, if these are leased, which I presume they are, there may be contractual restrictions to maintain re-sale/re-lease ability.  Non-authorized repair schemes will do that.

• RMweb Premium
On 11/10/2024 at 08:59, jjb1970 said:

Talking of noisy aircraft - I'd just into bed about 8.30 yesterday morning and could hear a turboprop flying over. We get a lot of King Airs and PC-12s, plus most days a C-130 or two. It didn't sound like any of them, and nothing showing locally on ADS-B Exchange. Zoom out a bit though.... An RAF A400M, 30,000' up and climbing, about 15 miles away! 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1