The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those who like Aircraft pictures

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Is there an aero modelling thread on RM wheeltappers ? I’m doing a bit of that too 

Nup, there’s a thread in the main though 

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, PMP said:

Nup, there’s a thread in the main though 

Might have to start a specific one , don’t want to get mixed up with cars, boats , panzerfausts :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I am not sure if they still have it as it's a while since I have seen any of their flight attendants, but Hainan had a great uniform. I still like the kabaya sarong used by Singapore Airlines,  they have applied an 'if it isn't broken don't fix it' consistency for many decades but it's still a great uniform.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

A 1970s classic uniform was Alaska Airlines "Samovar" service uniform.

They had a whole Russian samovar tea service gimmick. 

I was recently at the Evergreen Aviation Museum here in northwest Oregon. They have small collection of uniforms donated by former flight attendants - dating back to uniforms of the 1960s an 1970s. (Perhaps a dozen or so.) One thing in particular struck me. The uniforms were very small.

The ultimate hot pants/mini skirts and go-go boots uniforms of the period probably belong to PSA (Pacific Southwest) and SWA (Southwest). 

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A couple of '2 for 1' snaps at Beijing Capital and Tokyo Haneda a couple of weeks ago in my recent bout of travel. Both Tokyo airports (Narita and Haneda) are that rare thing in modern airports - they both have outdoor observation decks where you can take pictures without shooting through glass and seem to actively welcome enthusiasts and spotters. Unfortunately Beijing Capital isn't quite as good, but there are excellent views of two of the runways and the apron from T3 where if you take care for reflections you can get some nice shots through the glass windows. They are quite happy for people to use DSLR/mirrorless cameras with no restrictions.

AirChina737NG-93.JPG

Hainan737NG-25.jpg

JAL737NG-35.JPG

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Some heavy metal in Tokyo Narita, Beijing Capital and Frankfurt. The last couple of weeks were a bit silly really, I flew Singapore - Frankfurt - Tokyo Narita - Tokyo Haneda - Singapore (all Air China via Beijing Capital), had one night at home then Singapore - Copenhagen - Singapore with Thai via Bangkok for a meeting in Malmo. And the reason it was silly is all three meetings were to talk about emitting less. Something again made very clear was just how Singaporeans are spoiled by Changi. Both return experiences at Changi were 25 minutes doors open to the taxi stand, it'd have been less than 10 minutes if I hadn't had a checked bag to collect. Tokyo Narita and Haneda were fine, not as slick as Changi but not bad, and wait at immigration wasn't an issue. Frankfurt and Copenhagen were dire both arriving and departing. Two immigration officers on duty for non-EU arrivals in both CPH and FRA, it was about an hour in Frankfurt and an hour and a half in CPH. At least FRA worked reasonably well when leaving Germany, it was an hour going the other way at Copenhagen. And the EU passport lines weren't that much shorter (not that non-EU visitors should face any more inconvenience, it's not like there isn't a whole world out there).

ANA380-6.JPG

Asiana380-10.JPG

AirChina744-25.jpg

Lufthansa748-32.JPG

Lufthansa748-24.jpg

AirChina748-25.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

25 minutes doors open to the taxi stand

How did you get on at the taxi stand? Last November we found the T1 stand chaotic, with poor queue management and a long wait, plus difficulty even getting a taxi that could take two suitcases. Far below the standards we are used to and have come to expect.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

The taxi stand was fine, but it has its moments. A couple of times I've returned off late night arrivals and the queue has been very long. I don't know whether it is only me, but it's always been fine during the day and evening, maybe there is less pressure when the MRT is running and friends/family can collect people? Another option is Grab, but for some reason I find the Grab prices to/from Changi can be more expensive than a regular taxi (not that it matters if it's on expenses). We live in Nanyang which is probably as far from Changi are you can get in Singapore and during the day it's about S$50 in a metered taxi including the Changi surcharge whereas Grab quote S$50-65 for the same fare.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Another Gulfstream in Tokyo Haneda the other day, this time a G650 in Qatar livery.

The R-R engine in the G650 has been selected to re-engine the B52s - eight per a/c as in the original - will become the B52J.......

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Will Air Do be flying to Barnet anytime soon?

Perhaps they’re going to mullet over… 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

The R-R engine in the G650 has been selected to re-engine the B52s - eight per a/c as in the original - will become the B52J.......

....and B-52J is sched to remain in service until 2050, that's barely less than a century since first flight of B-52A

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

25 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

....and B-52J is sched to remain in service until 2050, that's barely less than a century since first flight of B-52A

Will outlive the B-1, probably the B-2, and maybe even the B-21

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

To think that 60% of all production B52’s were retired more than 50 years ago, beginning in the mid 1960’s until the early 1970’s, as time expired, fatigued etc, after barely 10 - 15  years of active service life.
Of the surviving remainder (fewer than 280 ‘ish), about two thirds (B52G) were scrapped following the fall of the Soviet Union in the 1990’s, as part of the START treaty.

All the current surviving (70 odd) operational aircraft are the later B52H model, 102 of which were built between 1960 and the end of 1962.

60+ years old with many possibly reaching 85+  !!!

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1