The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those who like Aircraft pictures

DDolfelin

3 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Call that low?

No mate, this is what you call low (with Australian language)

That's Ray Hanna, one of the best display pilots ever and ex Red Arrow leader. I've seen him on many occasions in the past.

Edited by sandwich station
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Call that low?

No mate, this is what you call low (with Australian language)

Must've thought he was crop-spraying - now THAT'S low...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Reminds me of when I was stationed at US Naval Air Detachment Souda Bay, Crete the crew of this weekly C-130:

SoudaC-130.jpg.4777a13b5d21c0becc63ce683b109dac.jpg

would RON every Tuesday night as they thought that we gave them the best service of any of their regular stops. Well, one Wednesday morning (they were in no real hurry to leave that day) an RAF Vulcan(?)* made a low elevation/high speed pass down the runway, came around again and stood it on its tail halfway down the runway; very impressive! And me without my camera!! Anyway the pilot of the Herc decided that his bird was just as good as the RAF's and obtained permission from the tower to do the same (but minus the tail standing departure).. Impressive, but in a different way; and somewhat funny, too.

* I said Vulcan, but I no longer really remember exactly what it was other than a large plane.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Reminds me of when I was stationed at US Naval Air Detachment Souda Bay, Crete the crew of this weekly C-130:

SoudaC-130.jpg.4777a13b5d21c0becc63ce683b109dac.jpg

would RON every Tuesday night as they thought that we gave them the best service of any of their regular stops. Well, one Wednesday morning (they were in no real hurry to leave that day) an RAF Vulcan(?)* made a low elevation/high speed pass down the runway, came around again and stood it on its tail halfway down the runway; very impressive! And me without my camera!! Anyway the pilot of the Herc decided that his bird was just as good as the RAF's and obtained permission from the tower to do the same (but minus the tail standing departure).. Impressive, but in a different way; and somewhat funny, too.

* I said Vulcan, but I no longer really remember exactly what it was other than a large plane.

Vulcans were slightly like Concorde, in a threatening Nuclear Bomber sort of way, if that helps. I saw one at an airshow before it was grounded due to airframe/engine hours limits being reached.  It did a display rather like the one you saw, bluddy loud!!!

Red white and blue smoke trails is what the Arrows do!  😄

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 19/06/2024 at 17:21, St Enodoc said:

Must've thought he was crop-spraying - now THAT'S low...

Where I went to school in the mid 70's there were fields of crops across the road along the banks of the Nepean River.

The crop duster used to come in low over the school and if it was a sports afternoon we'd be out on the footy field waving at him and he'd sometimes as a friendly gesture or a prank open the taps as he was above us and we'd all get wet.

It kept  the flies off but.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

Some of the crop dusting vids I’ve seen are nuts.

very low wing overs to get back on the dusting line, and landing on bits of ground vaguely described as “ strips “.

i wonder what the mortality rate is like 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Looks more corporate than maritime defense.

Factory-standard livery with customised labels/logos?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm guessing it's surveillance equipment for maritime enforcement,  looking for naughty ships discharging oil and that sort of thing. The Singaporean air force use adapted Fokker 50's for the role.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 21/06/2024 at 04:10, St Enodoc said:

Factory-standard livery with customised labels/logos?

No.

It's the Japan Coast Guard livery.

640px-Japan_Coast_Guard_DHC-8Q-315_JA722

image29.jpg

ja910a-japan-coast-guard-sikorsky-s-76d_

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for an alternative method of travel to flight.

For comparison, this is the JCG livery on the floating fleet.

(Muroran in 2017)

image.png.377c69e9da9aa7e45c38b4147737c818.png

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, newbryford said:

Apologies for an alternative method of travel to flight.

For comparison, this is the JCG livery on the floating fleet.

(Muroran in 2017)

image.png.377c69e9da9aa7e45c38b4147737c818.png

The Japan Coast Guard has some very impressive vessels, the bigger ones are destroyer size (though not armed as such). Japan and China seem to like outdoing eachothet when it comes to Coast Guard vessels as both have been building huge vessels.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1