The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those who like Aircraft pictures

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium

When I saw this yesterday I have to admit I wondered whether it was the jet which suffered the awful turbulence incident the other day, but no, that one was M.

SQ777-109.JPG

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

SQ profiles of their current fleet in regular colours, it's one of those liveries which seems to have been around since forever but is still a nice one. Great airline liveries don't need to be changed for fashion, ANA have had their livery for decades too (both have had tweaks I know).

SQ350-335.JPG

SQ737NG-74.JPG

SQ777-117.JPG

SQ787-197.JPG

SQ737MAX-3.JPG

SQ380-54.JPG

SQ744F-7.jpg

SQDHL777F-26.JPG

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, steve1 said:

Just back from the Yorkshire Air Museum at Elvington.

Here’s the first lot

steve

6E9A62EA-78EE-4F58-9DCC-1E9EC2D62FB8.jpeg

That doesn't look like the Kirby Cadet I once flew...

156RAFglideratWestMalling7306.jpg.7a6cc206039003159664ef5190e47ebf.jpg

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Johann Marsbar said:

Former Upper Heyford based F-111 at the Fort Worth Aviation Museum.....

DSCF1791.JPG.7b195c1384e0276282624ae234b634aa.JPG

As a child I lived in Essex and I have vivid memories of the Lakenheath-based F-111s flying over our house in the mid-80s. Very noisy!

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Back 30 plus years ago, I used to fly around the “ UHMRA” which was the upper heyford mandatory radar area , protecting their airspace .

Certainly concentrated the mind bumbling around at 90kts in a piper to be told “ you have 2 x F111s in your 12 o’clock , 300 knots plus “ normally in a laconic American drawl . “ looking “ was the response in a slightly scared tone 

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

That doesn't look like the Kirby Cadet I once flew...

156RAFglideratWestMalling7306.jpg.7a6cc206039003159664ef5190e47ebf.jpg

The glider was hanging from the roof.* Must have been strong sellotape, remembering how mine used to fall off my bedroom ceiling…

steve

* As were several others.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Military fast jets don't do noise abatement. We lived very close to the home of the RSAF F16 squadrons for a while and the noise was insane. It is really brought home if a regular business jet or airliner lands just after one of the F16's and is virtually noiseless by comparison.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Military fast jets don't do noise abatement. We lived very close to the home of the RSAF F16 squadrons for a while and the noise was insane.

And can make a mess of your house when they put their foot down..  Interesting bit from 30 seconds.

(warning, contains Australian language!)

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Can anyone help me with a callsign query?

Flights are shown on Flightradar variously as:

1. Airline + Figure (such as DAL20 for Delta Two Zero)

2. Airline + Figure + Letter (such as EIN16Y for Shamrock One Six Yankee)

3. Airline + Figure + Letter + Letter (such as DLH1MK for Lufthansa One Mike Kilo)

Is there any system of allocating/using the one or two suffix letters? And what is their meaning, if any? 

If a flight is (for hypothetical example) BAW12YY, is there any significance in the two suffix letters being the same?

Am I right that a callsign with four figures starting with 9 is a 'positioning move' (or 'empty stock' in railway terms🙂)

Many thanks

Brian

18 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone

3. Airline + Figure + Letter + Letter (such as DLH1MK for Lufthansa One Mike Kilo)

Is there any system of allocating/using the one or two suffix letters? And what is their meaning, if any? 

If a flight is (for hypothetical example) BAW12YY, is there any significance in the two suffix letters being the same?

Am I right that a callsign with four figures starting with 9 is a 'positioning move' (or 'empty stock' in railway terms🙂)

Many thanks

Brian

Doesn’t have to be a 9, can be anyhting the company puts in flight plan .

the whole alpha numeric thing was designed to stop callsign confusion , if you had say, a world airways 855 and 955 on frequency , however I was frequently xxx9AV, with XXX9VA coming the other way which made a mockery of it. ( also quite often didn’t notice that flight 123 actually had the callsign 9AV , cue silence and confusion )

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone

Many thanks

Brian

As Rob says, this type of Alpha-numeric callsign was first introduced some 40 years ago, in an attempt to reduce callsign confusion (potentially a very dangerous safety risk).

Airlines who use them can put anything, as long as it meets the general criteria for callsign composition.

Rob's example shows that it's not entirely foolproof, as similarities can still exist, but the risk has been significantly reduced by their use.

As for the number "9".

BA normally use 4 digit numbers, beginning with a 9, for positioning or ferry flights.

They also use similar 4 digit 9k series numbers for some charters.

Other airlines will do their own thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rob and Ron

I have heard ATC advise aircraft with similar callsigns that they are on the same frequency. FDX 7 and FDX 27 were recently flying relatively close to each and were so advised.

Some callsigns can be 'tongue twisters'...

I forget one such callsign but I reckon it comprised as many syllables as is possible - something like:

TomJet Seven Niner Seven November November.

The pilot 'stumbled' with the delivery of the callsign to ATC, apologised and commented that it had been driving them loopy all flight!🙂

Brian

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Some time ago, some bright spark at my current employer decided to change all the callsigns to alpha-numeric versions but it seemed that none of those chosen were particularly easy to say. Complaints came from both pilots and controllers and things soon returned to normal. 

• Funny 4

After years of trying to make aircraft look sleek and streamlined, someone gave the youth opportunities boy the job of designing the new livery.

DSC04957.JPG.6e24207796b174c4e2f7d38bf486fda6.JPG

Unaccountably, also available in a colour that looks very like Stroudley's Improved Engine Green.

Best wishes 

Eric 

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2

On 07/06/2024 at 02:39, monkeysarefun said:

And can make a mess of your house when they put their foot down..  Interesting bit from 30 seconds.

(warning, contains Australian language!)

Call that low?

No mate, this is what you call low (with Australian language)

• Like 5
  • Funny 3