More Pre-Grouping Wagons in 4mm - the D299 appreciation thread.

24 minutes ago, 65179 said:

I'm probably being dense, but why does it matter? If a merchant asks for a medium cattle wagon and a large is the only thing available, why does the railway company need to go to the expense of fitting a lock that prevents a small number of people moving a partition behind which was empty space anyway? 

Simon

Because 1/customers can be devious and may wish to load more beasts than the space they are willing to pay for can hold, and 2/ if the cattle do not fill the space in the van they can fall and be injured or killed and the railway could then be held responsible for their loss. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, billbedford said:

Because 1/customers can be devious and may wish to load more beasts than the space they are willing to pay for can hold, and 2/ if the cattle do not fill the space in the van they can fall and be injured or killed and the railway could then be held responsible for their loss. 

In the Directors' minds, chiefly point 1. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 19/07/2024 at 09:58, ian@stenochs said:

There were variations of the number and width of slats. I have seen photos of 6 & 7 slat versions, but they were always gaps between them.  The ownership lettering was painted G & S W on one slat and also on a cast plate which also carried the number.   

I have never seen any evidence that the buffer stocks were ever anything other than round with 4 fixing bolts.  The standard axleboxes were very plain rectangular in shape, the ones on the mystery van look to have round bottoms a bit like the NB used.

Just for information the Model Wagon Co produced a 4 mm kit for the above van and the G&SWRA did one in 7 mm.   Additionally MWC did a 7 mm version of the later Drummond van.

Completely by fluke I found the old HMRS articles which had some info on GSWR wagons and found this pic of the later Drummond cattle wagon. I had in my mind that this was the one that MWCo. did in 4mm, as it was so similar to the Highland one (second image from Peter Tatlow's book) and CR one, but that is probably wrong. Photo of MWCo. CR cattle wagon under construction thrown in for comparison. A bit of a pig to make as the sides were different lengths, despite being the same casting. Not unheard of I understand.

References: HMRS Journal vol15 no 7 July- Sept 1995; Highland Railway Carriages & Wagons, Tatlow / Noodle Books 2014.

IMG_5102.JPG

IMG_5103.JPG

IMG_E5100.JPG

Edited by Wagon nut
adding references
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Wagon nut said:

Completely by fluke I found the old HMRS articles which had some info on GSWR wagons and found this pic of the later Drummond cattle wagon.

Ah, of course, Peter Drummond, so post 1912. The photo, like that of the M&C wagon posted earlier, oozes modernity from its nether regions. The kit looks suitably antique in that respect. 

Edited by Compound2632
typo.
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Pic of the MWCo GSWR Cattle wagon. Apologies for the rubbish hand lettering, I was but a callow youth when I built that 40 odd years ago

20240720_140929.jpg

Edited by mikeallerton
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, ian@stenochs said:

Nice model but I think you are wrong and that is a Model Wagon Co kit.  I am sure D&S never did any G&SWR kits.

Ian.

You are correct. I knew that, just wrote the wrong manufacturer

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, ian@stenochs said:

Model Wagon Co kit

Presumably this one:

MWC 11 - G&SWR - Cattle Van - Drummond design with single lever brake on both axles, running period 1912- 1950s

[Info pulled from Caledonian Railway Association forum]

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, corneliuslundie said:

A real loss the MWC kits.

They must be long gone? When I was first taking proper notice, mid-90s, the whitemetal wagon kits I was aware of were the D&S and David Geen ranges. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

They must be long gone?

There are a few on a well known auction site at the moment if you fancy trying one! A few have also sold in recent months but I dont recall ever seeing one first hand.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Andy Vincent said:

There are a few on a well known auction site at the moment if you fancy trying one! A few have also sold in recent months but I dont recall ever seeing one first hand.

Peter Tatlow records building a MWCo cattle wagon on his Highland Miscellany web page - where he highlights the difficulty with sides of differing lengths, which is what I have found. Some of the better kits passed to 51L/Wizard I think, so are still available, but by no means all. 

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

In the Directors' minds, chiefly point 1. 

From what I know of the farming community, the directors may well have been correct. 

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, MR Chuffer said:

Interesting(?) photo of Tawd Vale, Skelmersdale PO wagons. Nothing to do with Burnley which is what the article is about but dumb buffers are go! 

Non-colourised version:

img728-tawd-vale-mine-disaster-2048x1490

[Embedded link to this Slelmersdale Heritage Society website.]

According to the Northern Mine Research Society's website, the colliery closed and the firm (Tawd Vale Coal Co. according to the Durham Mining Museum listing) went into voluntary liquidation in 1899 following an innundation in which (from other sources) two men died, the River Tawd having broken in, in November 1897. It was reopened in 1904 by John Griffiths & Son Ltd. as Glenburn Colliery. 

So presumably the Tawd Vale Coal Co.'s fleet of dumb buffered wagons would have been disposed of in 1899.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Apropos the Tait & Carlton cattle wagon partition fastener, I wonder if I could beg a favour of someone with an RM subscription to give me the full reference for an article on building Midland cattle wagons in the July 1982 number? Author, title, pagination.

As far as I can glean, it is Bob Essery writing about 7 mm scale models. Mention is made of Tait & Carlton but it seems to be the case that the entire partition design is attributed to them, not just the tamper-proof fastener. 

I've not been able to find out anything about Tait & Carlton; they don't appear to have been Midland employees, at least, not in the C&W DO.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Apropos the Tait & Carlton cattle wagon partition fastener, I wonder if I could beg a favour of someone with an RM subscription to give me the full reference for an article on building Midland cattle wagons in the July 1982 number? Author, title, pagination.

As far as I can glean, it is Bob Essery writing about 7 mm scale models. Mention is made of Tait & Carlton but it seems to be the case that the entire partition design is attributed to them, not just the tamper-proof fastener. 

I've not been able to find out anything about Tait & Carlton; they don't appear to have been Midland employees, at least, not in the C&W DO.

Indeed it was Bob Essery. Article entitled "Mostly Midland" on pages 250, 251 and 252 and the reference is to the Tait & Carlton Patent Partition Fastener (noted as being essential and sadly lacking from the Slater's kit)

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, mikeallerton said:

Indeed it was Bob Essery. Article entitled "Mostly Midland" on pages 250, 251 and 252 and the reference is to the Tait & Carlton Patent Partition Fastener (noted as being essential and sadly lacking from the Slater's kit)

Brilliant, thank you. I have also been PM'd a scan of the article, not extracted from the RM digital archive, so no T&Cs breached!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, RedTrain said:

Coopercraft GWR O5 four-plank, in my attempt at the pre-1904 (I subscribe to the later changeover theory) red livery:

Whose transfers did you use for the two GW liveries?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, RedTrain said:

Fox Transfers on both; FRH4125REV.

Thanks. Those are the ones I've been using most recently, having started out with some Broad Gauge Society rub-down ones.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well done. I have built about 250 wagons and am still not getting them anything near perfect. In fact I never shall because after the two waiting completion that will be it. 

(Who said you can never have too many wagons?)

Jonathan

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3