More Pre-Grouping Wagons in 4mm - the D299 appreciation thread.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

you are in good company omitting the striking plate - the Slater's kit doesn't have it! But could it be an item to include in the brass etch?

It certainly is an option. I am rearranging the etch at the moment (for the previously mentioned 9' wb only change). The first priority for additional items is to prove that I can count and to add the fourth brake lever boss! However, there should be space to fit a couple on it  somewhere

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Time for a reminder

I am sure nobody needs any further encouragement (and I am not sure this counts as encouragement!), but as someone else targeting the double bill, I will try and remember to bring along some of the first batch of the Midland etch where the etchers forgot to etch the rear details. They are missing the fold lines on the brake levers and lever guard but still have their uses . . . 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Andy Vincent said:

They are missing the fold lines on the brake levers and lever guard but still have their uses 

So I discovered!

I'm aiming to be at the GWSG Open Morning. We're also planning to go to the Reading Symphony Orchestra's concert at the Minster at 7pm, so I'm not sure when I get to eat!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Andy Vincent said:

I would add, that those supplied in the kits have all the fold lines present but I have already given @Compound2632 some of the others too!! 

I should make it clear that all the Meon Valley prints and etches I got from Andy at ExpoEM were freebie samples, so not necessarily the production version. One musn't look a gift horse in the mouth, even if one does report issues back to the stable!

The Brassmasters subframes are their existing product, for which I paid hard cash.

Edited by Compound2632
typo.
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I've lowered the bar on the S&DJR cattle wagon - a painful procedure, leaving some holes and one or two chips to be filled:

SDJRcattlewagonPGMbaradjusted.JPG.9efe30caebdf4f8b45ef3ac822975461.JPG

I've also added the partition locating blocks on each side. (At the same end.) I note the point made a while back that there shouldn't be much limewash seeping out of the slats at this end of the wagon.

• Like 15

Not sure if this is the right place to post this.

Some years ago a Mr Stelfox commissioned from me a 4mm kit for a GER open wagon. IIRC only 500 were produced and there was never a re run. I recently found the brass plates which have the details of the mould on and although I now have a different moulding machine and it would not be entirely straightforward I wondered if I could get it to run again. I contacted Mr Stelfox (now a fellow member of the Gauge O Guild) and he has no further interest in it. So, would there be interest in re introducing this kit?  Profit if any could go to a railway charity.  IIRC it was a GER 5 1/2  plank wagon ( I must look out the drawings but it was a long time ago)

best wishes,

Ian

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Ian Kirk said:

Not sure if this is the right place to post this.

Some years ago a Mr Stelfox commissioned from me a 4mm kit for a GER open wagon. IIRC only 500 were produced and there was never a re run. I recently found the brass plates which have the details of the mould on and although I now have a different moulding machine and it would not be entirely straightforward I wondered if I could get it to run again. I contacted Mr Stelfox (now a fellow member of the Gauge O Guild) and he has no further interest in it. So, would there be interest in re introducing this kit?  Profit if any could go to a railway charity.  IIRC it was a GER 5 1/2  plank wagon ( I must look out the drawings but it was a long time ago)

best wishes,

Ian

Definitely! I have two of the originals somewhere, I didn't realise they were so "limited" edition, or that you were the source. 

I will be doing a number of different GER 15ft  7plks this summer.

1) Loco coal with T ends

2) loco coal with L ends

3) gen goods L ends diagonals to 5th plank

4) gen goods L ends diagonals to 7th plank

5) gen goods T ends diagonals 5th plank

6) rebuild 5plk 

Marc

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Hi,

I will go ahead and see what is involved. Not be instant as my first priority is to release my O gauge 51ft Gresley semi corridor lav. Composite ( this week) and cut the mould for the LMS Push Pull end. ( I already have the required Brake 3rd which the real railway used as the basis.)

No computer skills to speak of but I will try to attach a scan of the mould  plates.

best wishes,

IanScan_20240628(2).png.6752fe9cd8a8a0e7403a909d0f9a751a.png

• Like 10

Have any of the Dwarves who mine the MR archive seen anything that would explain the problem with the D.400 horseboxes? The said problem being that neither the diagram nor drawing 1214 match the photos, in that the door to the horse compartment is somewhat higher in the photos.  I can see why this is likely to be so but it would be useful to know exactly what changes were made. 

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Ian Kirk said:

Hi,

I will go ahead and see what is involved. Not be instant as my first priority is to release my O gauge 51ft Gresley semi corridor lav. Composite ( this week) and cut the mould for the LMS Push Pull end. ( I already have the required Brake 3rd which the real railway used as the basis.)

No computer skills to speak of but I will try to attach a scan of the mould  plates.

best wishes,

Just now, Ian Kirk said:

Hi,

best wishes,

Here is one that I made earlier, and the instuctions. Regards Tony

IMG_1924.JPG

IMG_1925.JPG

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, billbedford said:

Have any of the Dwarves who mine the MR archive seen anything that would explain the problem with the D.400 horseboxes? The said problem being that neither the diagram nor drawing 1214 match the photos, in that the door to the horse compartment is somewhat higher in the photos.  I can see why this is likely to be so but it would be useful to know exactly what changes were made. 

Point of order: this is a wagon topic; coaching stock questions should be in the D508 topic. But you are forgiven, on account of it being a suitably awkward question, of the sort we see being dodged daily by our politicians. 

I am fairly sure that the horse compartment door was per the drawing, with the top section curving round with the roof line. Here's a photo of No. 456 which appears to me to match the drawing, with horizontal panels above the grooms and luggage compartments and a continuous batten to which the top door hinges are bolted:

1900-Midland-Railway-horsebox-beside-the

[Embedded link to Community Rail Lancashire website.]

No. 456 was from Lot 413, the first of the two lots of this diagram.

On the other hand, the 1911 Cotehill photo [Lacy & Dow Fig. 551] shows the panels above the grooms and luggage compartments omitted, the gutter being placed at the normal carriage gutter height and the roof canvas brought down to this level. I haven't got a good copy of that photo to reproduce. 

There is one other photo [Lacy & Dow Fig. 595] which appears to show the same arrangement as No. 456 - it's in a train arriving at St. Pancras, c. 1901-2.

There are, I think, two possibilities:

1. The pair in the Cotehill photo are both from the second lot, Lot 458, and a design change was made between the two lots. The problem with this is that there is no drawing or other indication of a design change.
  2. All these horseboxes were modified to the form seen in the Cotehill photo sometime  after building and before 1911. Perhaps the original arrangement wasn't watertight? 

The windows to the grooms compartment are not as tall as standard passenger carriage windows - they seem to preserve the dimensions of earlier horsebox designs - resulting in the eves panel above the window, and the ventilator panel in the door, being taller than usual.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 8