More Pre-Grouping Wagons in 4mm - the D299 appreciation thread.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

@Tricky was already doing 7 mm scale casks: https://www.monksgate.co.uk/shop/barrels; scaling down the techniques used there was our starting-point, though in the event compromises had to be made on the way the hoops are done. Those aren't to the Burton drawing though but he has that, if you wanted to start a conversation.

Thanks - I'd already looked at the page you linked to. The text says they are based on the Slaters casks (which I have also used) rather than being 3D printed. Anyway, as you say, I need to talk to him.

Nick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

While we're on the subject, here's a shot of the two wagons loaded with the shortened casks - mostly barrels but a few hogsheads:

MidlandD299andD305withBurtoncaskloads.JPG.593f552eb6b6b1a315e235bc4d432a24.JPG

Prototype reference:

Wellingborough1898part2oftraincaskwagons.jpg.6424524ed477de9f5612e31f9026be45.jpg

Wellingborough, September 1898. A northbound goods train, probably for Burton going not only by the casks but also the NSR and North Staffs PO wagons in other parts of the train.

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

8 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The wagon to its left appears to be a LNWR D32 covered goods wagon, with the no-door side facing:

Thank you, that one - and the identical top left by the brake vans - had been puzzling me!

Can I throw a question out to the collective minds, on some other private owner wagons in this photo please?

First of all, this PO wagon:

Something Wood Colliery perhaps?  Or something completely different?

MysteryPOwagonBarrowyard.jpg.c2f887a817bc4b4d546f39a8eb151038.jpg

The others around it are two Robet Balfour (Barrow coal merchant), South Kirkby colliery and Featherstone (coal supplier to Barrow shipyard). 

And secondly, does anyone have any idea about these please? I think all three are the same owner, but does anyone recognise this mark?  

MysteryPOwagonsBarrowyard.jpg.9855362ee8a33a280bcd8a1fd5bb7f02.jpg

All the best

Neil 

• Like 2

The index of published photos of PO wagons draws a blank on the ***** Wood Colliery nothing close so it coul be a new one. 

However a quick search of the HMRS photos came up with Soothill Wood Colliery  Batley West Yorks 

image.png.029df20594600b51e0a30e66bed5e5de.png

It's not the same wagon but the lettering matches

Edited by MarcD
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, MarcD said:

The index of published photos of PO wagons draws a blank on the ***** Wood Colliery nothing close so it coul be a new one. 

However a quick search of the HMRS photos came up with Soothill Wood Colliery  Batley West Yorks 

image.png.029df20594600b51e0a30e66bed5e5de.png

It's not the same wagon but the lettering matches

Yes Durham Mining Museum has this colliery, giving the location as Dewsbury. It's here:

https://maps.nls.uk/view/125644345

on the Great Northern Beeston & Batley branch. 

Interesting as an instance of coal for Barrow coming from a colliery not on the general axis of the North Midland line. I wonder what the routing was? We had previously noted the presence of a couple of wagons sporting GNR sheets, with prominent saltire cross.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, WFPettigrew said:

GNR to Keighley (to maximise their share of the traffic) then onto the Midland?

Also possibly via the Shipley-Laisterdyke line. There was daily trip working by the GN on Midland Metals from Shipley to Skipton which would be the last Midland sorting yard for any train heading towards Carnforth and the Furness.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

20 minutes ago, Aire Head said:

There was daily trip working by the GN on Midland Metals from Shipley to Skipton

That would make sense - the GN would then get the mileage all the way to Skipton.  Would there have been a pre-grouping equivalent of "track access charges" when a company had running rights over another's metals?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, WFPettigrew said:

Would there have been a pre-grouping equivalent of "track access charges" when a company had running rights over another's metals?

Yes, absolutely. Tolls were paid. Running powers didn't mean free access!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

23 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Running powers didn't mean free access!

Thank you.  But even with the toll, it must have still been worth their while running through (otherwise, why bother) with more taken than having to be then lost in tolls - so I do think the route via Shipley and through to Skipton would be the way to maximise the GNR revenue. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, WFPettigrew said:

Thank you.  But even with the toll, it must have still been worth their while running through (otherwise, why bother) with more taken than having to be then lost in tolls - so I do think the route via Shipley and through to Skipton would be the way to maximise the GNR revenue. 

A more extreme case is the Great Northern's Manchester goods trains, which ran via the MS&L Woodhead route for many years but switched to the Midland Hope Valley route when that opened, whether out of pique at the MS&L's London Extension or because the Hope Valley line was an easier-graded route, I know not.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, WFPettigrew said:

Knowing the Southill area well that route sounds good.  The wagon could  be tripped either to Tingley or Batley where there would be regular work gs to Laisterdyke.  I wonder if they were Beadman built as the route ran past Keighley.  Sadly I haven't had much luck trying to trace GNR PO registers. Actually, thinking about the routing, Southill to Ardsley sidings via Tingley would make sense then to Laisterdyke etc. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

@jwealleans has mentioned having a long chat with Graham Taylor (I believe that's his name) of Cambrian Model Rail. I apologised that the Cambrian D664 Midland van [Cambrian kit C84] didn't feature in my display, being too late for my period, but he said it sells well, outselling the various LMS vans. We did talk about progress with the ex-Coopercraft wagon kits, which I have reported elsewhere:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Aire Head said:

That's a very interesting statistic!

Well, we don't know the volume of sales - it might be one and none, though I suspect not!

Having spoken very briefly to Jonathan Wealleans on Saturday, I think there was agreement between him and Graham Taylor that RTR duplication of wagons available as kits is not really a threat to kit manufacturers, as they're chasing different markets. Now, I've bought five RTR wagons this year, three of which I could readily have built from plastic kits - Rapido LMS D1666. But this has largely been the consequence of curiosity and from a sense of wanting to encourage the manufacturer; moreover, two of those three are in BR condition for use on our club layout. But this has also spurred me on to completion of a couple of Cambrian D1666s that I'd had knocking around for a while!

Of the other two, one I have previously built from a Cambrian kit, subsequently discovering that the kit represented a variation of the design not appropriate to my period; I could buy a brass and whitemetal kit, which represents another variation, in-period for me; and may yet be spurred on to do so! This is the LSWR covered goods wagon, recently introduced by EFE. Right now, I'm hacking away at the underframe to represent appropriate brakes.

My  fifth (chronologically first) is the Rapido SER brake van, which I don't think I would otherwise have attempted - is there a kit? - though that has gone hand-in-hand with a 3D print for a different type of SER brake van. This is why I hope Raido will progress from a SE&CR O1 to a SER O!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

I'd love to say 'depends how helpful your local model shop is', but that's probably not an option for most now sadly.

Edit -  and one I went to last year I was told there was 'no demand for kits or paint' so they didn't stock either!

Edited by 41516
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

11 minutes ago, 41516 said:

Easier to build with the 1 piece chassis?   Certainly 'safer' as an entry level for kit building.

I built one, using the one piece chassis, as I was interested to see how i the rigid set up would do in P4. It went together well, albeit with the Cambrian trait of being tricky to get the corners all properly square and lined up (or my hamfisted trait?!).

I finished it, including a repaint out of the green MR wagon paint from Phoenix PP, and it seemed to roll very nicely. So nicely that it rolled off a high shelf and smashed into more pieces than could be salvaged....

There was/possibly will be again a Bill Bedford etch which I think is right for this van, but please correct me if I have got that wrong.

• Friendly/supportive 6

7 minutes ago, 41516 said:

I'd love to say 'depends how helpful your local model shop is', but that's probably not an option for most now sadly.

Edit -  and one I went to last year I was told there was 'no demand for kits or paint' so they didn't stock either!

How times have changed. Back when we had a local model shop, kits and paint were exactly what I used to go there for!

• Like 2
  • Agree 4