More Pre-Grouping Wagons in 4mm - the D299 appreciation thread.

• RMweb Premium

It's the MR's Sandon & Canada Docks Goods Station:

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/h/huskisson/index2.shtml

Compare the chimney and building in front of it in Stephen's photo with the middle photo on the linked page.

Accessed via a short line from the CLC at Huskisson Goods.

Regards,

Simon

Edited by 65179
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, 65179 said:

It's the MR's Sandon & Canada Docks Goods Station:

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/h/huskisson/index2.shtml

Yes indeed, as captioned at Derby registers: https://www.midlandrailway.org.uk/derby-registers/DY12660.

Disused Stations has what i take to be another photo from the same series, all listed as 22 July 1922, though that's probably the date entered in the registers, taken in the course of the week preceding, probably. What caught my eye was the variagated end planking of a lowside wagon:

sandon_goods_1920s-1exDisusedStationscrop.jpg.de07f21ecdb33a56662d2bc6e83cbd22.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Grahams said:

What a delightful photograph! 

I've flipped it left to right and improved the texture slightly. Can anyone say which Liverpool dock is featured? 

I have 'nearly' finished what I now call my whisky wagon, the D305 in Midland Wagons Vol 1 with the 6 casks. That says 'Liverpool Brunswick to Wirksworth' in chalk on the side and I wonder if this picture also shows the Brunswick dock? 

It's always interesting to see inside the wagons and the sheets are very helpful too. 

The nearest wagon is a D305 with Monarch door controllers, oil axleboxes (90% sure?) and a long brake lever on the right. 

It's such fun that apparently every man on the picture is posing for the camera!

medium_1997_7397_DY_12660.jpg

Your wagon will have come from the CLC's Brunswick Goods depot which was alongside Harrington Dock and adjacent to Herculaneum Dock:

http://disused-stations.org.uk/h/herculaneum_dock/index.shtml (The area which forms the subject of Michael Edge's Herculaneum Dock layout).

Brunswick Dock itself is a little further north (see diagram on linked page).

Simon

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

At the time these wagons were built (up to 1892), the M R lettering was limited to open wagons but by the turn of the century, it was becoming ubiquitous, though one might ask how quickly it was applied to existing covered good wagons, as opposed to the large numbers of 16' 6" covered wagons being built around that time. I presume the number was put on the door at the same time. That some at least of these older wagons got the door lettering and number is, I think, demonstrated by Midland Wagons, plate 177. This shows a wagon that has had its numberplates removed and, I believe, its lettering and number painted over - one, can, I think, see the patches; anyway, I've put my transfers in the same places.

Hum. The lettering on this D363 at Heysham in 1904 looks to be on, rather than above, the door centre line:

30382.jpg

[Embedded link to catalogue thumbnail of MRSC 30382.]

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Hum. The lettering on this D363 at Heysham in 1904 looks to be on, rather than above, the door centre line:

30382.jpg

[Embedded link to catalogue thumbnail of MRSC 30382.]

It's a pity that it doesn't look like that anymore, with the nuclear power station built on what was the ballast dump.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Yes indeed, as captioned at Derby registers: https://www.midlandrailway.org.uk/derby-registers/DY12660.

Disused Stations has what i take to be another photo from the same series, all listed as 22 July 1922, though that's probably the date entered in the registers, taken in the course of the week preceding, probably. What caught my eye was the variagated end planking of a lowside wagon:

sandon_goods_1920s-1exDisusedStationscrop.jpg.de07f21ecdb33a56662d2bc6e83cbd22.jpg

I've realised that wagon, on the tight of the photo on the Disuesd Stations website, is the same one as the one on the left of the photo I posted (or right, as first posted, the wrong way round). It's the one @MarcD spotted as having M R reversed.

• Like 6

I say that you've made a very nice job of an unusual wagon, I'm sure that the buffer will respond to a little leverage. I'm always thinking that I have buffers skewed and usually I'm right, not as simple as you'd expect to get square on.

Out of interest, how long did these wagons survive after grouping?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Out of interest, how long did these wagons survive after grouping?

Back in March, I made some notes on ex-Midland diagrams in the copy of the LMS Special Wagon Diagram Book at Kew [TNA RAIL 422/12]. As printed, this lists 86 D333 wagons - all but six of the wagons built to Drg. 708, so the oldest dating back to 1887; it also lists all 12 D730 wagons, the 12 ton version built in 1909 and 1914, which could perfectly well be built from this kit, with the substution of oil axleboxes and both-side brakes with long levers.

These lists have the numbers progressively crossed out in different colours of ink, the dates being 25 March 1935 (faded red ink), August 1937 (less faded red ink), September 1938 (green ink), and November 1939 (blue ink). The first date wasn't a very thorough edit, so the quantities I've got are for the last three dates. For D333, these give: Aug 37, 27; Sep 38, 15, Nov 39, two - Nos. 19288 and 31578. For D730, there are no deletions but Nos. 189431-70 have been added. These are the forty built at Wolverton in 1929, so, presumably, this Diagram Book pre-dates that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

I don't think the brakes are standard NER practice. The should be clasp brakes one side only. These would be operated by side mounted leavers (one each side) for Southern and Northern Divisions and end mounted leavers for Central division wagons.  Some very early P7's had a two shoe brake one side only operated with a single side mounted leavers.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1