More Pre-Grouping Wagons in 4mm - the D299 appreciation thread.

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I was looking for a photo of a sheet stores with the freshly treated sheets hanging up to dry in a sail-loft-like space

This one?

1727665175_MenHoistTarpaulinatRailWorkshop.jpg.ced75089ab724caf38afca8e37385cd8.jpg

Caption: Men hoisting tarpaulin sheets at the Great Western Railway Shops at Worcester, England, 1936. Source: Getty images.

We need an AI app on this forum: "Show me a photo of tarpaulin sheets hanging from a loft.". 

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

I'm getting confused about which thread I'm in, since the Rapido D1666 thread has just turned to a discussion of wagon sheets. I was looking for a photo of a sheet stores with the freshly treated sheets hanging up to dry in a sail-loft-like space but instead found this:

1932-PoA-pp.18-19-sheeting-crush-photo-l

[Embedded link.] Captioned as "A warning about the dangers of sheeting wagons, from a 1930s accident prevention booklet." with the image itself tagged as 1932. Two more Midland wagons, a D357 covered goods and a D299 open (a new number for the list). But whose Prevention of Accidents booklet is this?

This photo is a candidate for the 'when the prototype looks like a model' thread - that sheet is obviously made of crumpled paper.

Nick.

• Like 3
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I'm getting confused about which thread I'm in, since the Rapido D1666 thread has just turned to a discussion of wagon sheets. I was looking for a photo of a sheet stores with the freshly treated sheets hanging up to dry in a sail-loft-like space but instead found this:

1932-PoA-pp.18-19-sheeting-crush-photo-l

Nice photo Stephen, wherever it comes from! Is the roughly hand-sized white rectangle on the solebar, below and to the left of the wagon number and tare weight markings, a label in a label clip?

Edited by Chas Levin
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Chas Levin said:

Nice photo Stephen, wherever it comes from! Is the roughly hand-sized white rectangle on the solebar, below and to the left of the wagon number and tare weight markings, a label in a label clip?

Not so nice, if either wagon were to move. Yes, that looks to be a label in the label clip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Schooner said:

Used both a fair amount as an ingredient in the various unctions and gunks required to keep traditional sailing vessels Bristol fashion. They're different products with different properties, so it's entirely correct to specify 'boiled oil'. Raw typically on coatings which need to move - it doesn't dry hard. Boiled does, and so is useful as a retarder (eg to aid flow in varnish) or to boost gloss in paints because it slows things down but will still kick off properly.

That's very interesting - thank you for posting. When I read up a bit before using linseed oil as a retarder, I came across advice to avoid the boiled type, which advice I followed. I can't remember where I read it, but I did have surprising difficulty finding much advice online at all about adding oil to enamel paint, a rare thing in itself for the internet, so I took what I found, especially as I found nothing at the time to contradict it.

I did indeed find that while unboiled oil certainly retarded both the touch-dry drying time and the final hardening, there was a tipping point beyond which it went very quickly from a few hours to days or even weeks and in some cases, as you say, to an apparently near-permanent slightly soft surface.

After many trials, I found that by keeping the amount of oil added to at or below 5%, it did eventually dry to a decently hard finish (and of course a glossier one) but had I known about the more suitable properties of boiled oil for this purpose, I'd have tried that too and I'll certainly do so next time.

Apologies for diverting the chat away from wagons - hopefully though paint finishes are sufficiently relevant to the vehicles themselves... 😉

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 41516 said:

Patch painted/LMS marked D299 and lots of sheeted wagons at Didcot's provender yard on this week's Going Loco blog.

Here we go, embedded link:

gl_230120_1_didcot-provender-store.jpg

There is another taken a few seconds later, I suppose, not showing the D299:

http://www.gwr.org.uk/noshunters.html

which vividly illustrates that by this date sheets were common user!

This is alongside the Didcot provender store; I presume No. 307 was allocated as the provender store shunter at this date, hence the spark arrestor chimney.

I've seen this photo before but it's not listed in my database of Midland wagon numbers, so I suppose the version I saw before was no higher resolution. But note the D299 has oil axleboxes, so it's either a late build or has been upgraded.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I've seen this photo before

We discussed it here, as part of a broader discussion of provender provisions on the GWR:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/blogs/entry/24324-gwr-provender-wagons/?do=findComment&comment=70483

(as discussed elsewhere, the link to a particular post doesn't work properly on rmweb at the moment, it goes near but not quite to the post in question)

Edited by Mikkel
edited link
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

We discussed it here, as part of a broader discussion of provender provisions on the GWR:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/blogs/entry/24324-gwr-provender-wagons/?do=findComment&comment=70483

(as discussed elsewhere, the link to a particular post doesn't work properly on rmweb at the moment, it goes near but not quite to the post in question)

Thanks. Here we go, higher res, embedded link again:

67685548_2960257810667754_86625110223822

But I see I was still unsure of the D299 number!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

What a wonderful beast. Quite sombre too! 

Indeed - somehow it reminds me of the Ffestiniog hearse van, though they aren't really alike.

I like the patina, too - though, at the risk of reopening a can of worms we have only just put a lid on, in the picture of the prototype, the vertical metal strips with the riveting seem to be a different colour to the rest of the body?

Nick.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Mikkel said:

What a wonderful beast. Quite sombre too! 

Wouldn't you be sombre if you had to spend your working life in Lancashire mill towns.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, magmouse said:

I like the patina, too - though, at the risk of reopening a can of worms we have only just put a lid on, in the picture of the prototype, the vertical metal strips with the riveting seem to be a different colour to the rest of the body?

Different shades of black.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Note that the dark stripes continue on the solebar, which would possibly mean that they were a deliberate indicator of some sort?.

Other photos in Noel Coates' book show that the iron plate that covers the join of the larger plates extends right down to the bottom of the solebar (as on the kit). Vans of the type represented by the kit were built from 1892 until 1897; Coates states that these vans were always black, though earlier vans of the same general type but with birdcage look-outs had started out in dark grey. 

The photo I borrowed from the L&YR Society website has the look of an official portrait rather than a van in traffic, so maybe this is a finish done for the photograph?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 21/01/2023 at 22:08, Compound2632 said:

. I was looking for a photo of a sheet stores with the freshly treated sheets hanging up to dry in a sail-loft-like space

It's in 'Sheets Ropes and Sacks, Bob Essery, pp41-58, Midland Record No 3' 

I don't have a copy of the photograph other than the one in the publication. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Grahams said:

It's in 'Sheets Ropes and Sacks, Bob Essery, pp41-58, Midland Record No 3' 

I don't have a copy of the photograph other than the one in the publication. 

Yes, there was also recently a discussion of the L&Y sheet stores in Manchester, with a similar photo. That may have been on Facebook.

On 21/01/2023 at 13:06, Compound2632 said:

...resin transfers from Railtec. My thanks to  et al. on 's Aston on Clun thread for drawing my attention to these, as replacements for the Archer transfers. As they're intended to represent rivets rather than bolt heads, I bought two of the larger sizes from the 7 mm scale range. Here I've used 7mm-9227, intended to represent 1" rivets, which would scale to a 1¾" bolt head - possibly a tad over-large here, though a good match for the molded bolt heads. The Railtec rivets are white - I'm hoarding my black Archer ones for use on grey- or red-with-black-ironwork PO wagons!

Lovely to see the rivets in use. I decided to make the rivets available pre-coated in white in order to make them hopefully as versatile as possible, i.e. white being the easiest colour to assume whatever top coat would be needed in the final application, as opposed to making them in black which could potentially make it more time consuming if they were needed in a lighter colour for whatever reason. I would imagine that the white rivets would be put on a model and then the entire thing sprayed in grey primer for example, or if the rivets were needed to be a specific colour prior to application then I would just cut off the length required and give that a quick spray in my chosen colour.

https://www.railtec-transfers.com/rivets/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, railtec-models said:

or if the rivets were needed to be a specific colour prior to application then I would just cut off the length required and give that a quick spray in my chosen colour.

Now there's an ingenious idea!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3