More Pre-Grouping Wagons in 4mm - the D299 appreciation thread.

10 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

There were class distinctions among horses every bit as strong as among people.

Especially so considering it cost more to send a horse by train in a horsebox than for a 1st class passenger ticket. (Source: J. Lewis in GWRJ) 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, richbrummitt said:

I thought I should make a distinction knowing that horses were also conveyed in (sheeted) cattle wagons

In 1913, the Midland Railway conveyed 13,675 horses by goods train, as traffic originating at their own stations, which pro-rata probably means no more than 20,000 in total - about 400 per week on average. The company had around 400 passenger-rated horseboxes; assuming each of these was used on average at least twice a week, perhaps twice as many horses by passenger train as by goods train.

Very rough guestimate.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium

A work of destruction...

MidlandD307sleeperwagonworkofdestruction.JPG.d30e575b013d714d8a818f5633195fca.JPG

... on the Colin Ashby sleeper wagon. As received, it was sitting too low, the axleguard units being glued directly to the floor. These I can re-use. The whitemetal springs I have discarded, as they broke as i removed the axleguards. 

Anyone recognise these axleguards? There's no indication etched on them. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

41 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Anyone recognise these axleguards?

They look like Bill Bedford ones (as used to be available from Eileen's Emporium, and will soon be again from the Scalefour Stores) but could be something similar. 

All the best

Neil 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 27/06/2024 at 13:41, Ian Kirk said:

Not sure if this is the right place to post this.

Some years ago a Mr Stelfox commissioned from me a 4mm kit for a GER open wagon. IIRC only 500 were produced and there was never a re run. I recently found the brass plates which have the details of the mould on and although I now have a different moulding machine and it would not be entirely straightforward I wondered if I could get it to run again. I contacted Mr Stelfox (now a fellow member of the Gauge O Guild) and he has no further interest in it. So, would there be interest in re introducing this kit?  Profit if any could go to a railway charity.  IIRC it was a GER 5 1/2  plank wagon ( I must look out the drawings but it was a long time ago)

best wishes,

Ian

Oooh that would be lovely. I have had that kit on my eBay search list for years and have only ever seen it come up once in all that time and I missed it. Instead my eBay search often rewards me with listings for the Personal Services DVD with Julie Walter’s and Shirley Stelfox ! 

I did see the wagon assembled and running at the Great British Train Show in Toronto a couple of months ago and very nice it looked too. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 01/07/2024 at 18:20, Compound2632 said:

A work of destruction...

MidlandD307sleeperwagonworkofdestruction.JPG.d30e575b013d714d8a818f5633195fca.JPG

... on the Colin Ashby sleeper wagon. As received, it was sitting too low, the axleguard units being glued directly to the floor. These I can re-use. The whitemetal springs I have discarded, as they broke as i removed the axleguards. 

Anyone recognise these axleguards? There's no indication etched on them. 

Which railway company's Sleeper Wagon is that please, Stephen?

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

Midland. Discussed in tedious detail here:

Thanks Stephen - I should probably have added that I assumed it was MR (or failing that LMS?) but wanted to check!

I don't think the detail's tedious, it's valuable info (IMHO).

Very much enjoyed the latest 'Modelling the MR' 😀.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As a non-Midland modeller (well I inevitably have to have to have a few items) I would echo the two comments above.  Your posts and analyses are invaluable Stephen.

Edited by Andy Hayter
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

As a non-Midland modeller (well I inevitably have to have to have a few items) I would echo the two comments above.  Your posts and analyses are invaluable Stephen.

Copies of 'Modelling the Midland' are available to non-members for £7.50 on application:

https://midlandrailway.org.uk/sales/index.html

or at exhibitions at which the Society has a stand, of which the following are upcoming:

Railex Buxton - 6/7 July

Guildex, Stafford - 7*/8 Sept

Scaleforum, High Wycombe - 21*/22* Sept 

Warley at Statfold - 12*/13* Oct

GETS, MK - 12/13 Oct

NFoRM, NEC - 23/24 Nov*

*Me. Not sure yet which day for the NEC.

New website with online shop coming soon-ish.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/06/2024 at 02:01, Andy Vincent said:
On 20/06/2024 at 22:11, WFPettigrew said:

If only.  There are - to my knowledge - only two surving FR wagon works drawings. 

Wearing my HMRS hat, we have a GA drawing of a Furness Railway 4 plank wagon built in 1864 - "4 Plank Mineral, 8ft 6ins w/b, 14ft o/b". I have asked if we can have this scanned to see if this adds anything to this discussion

Having heard back from our drawings archivist who has looked at the drawing (reference 19982), the spacing between solebars on this Furness wagon is 5ft 11.5in and the solebars are 12in x 4.5in 

• Informative/Useful 3

52 minutes ago, Andy Vincent said:

Having heard back from our drawings archivist who has looked at the drawing (reference 19982), the spacing between solebars on this Furness wagon is 5ft 11.5in and the solebars are 12in x 4.5in 

Thanks Andy.  This is rather supportive towards 6' (or just under) between the solebars on other 1860/70s era FR wagons.  I still need to find the time to sit down and try and work out what's going on with the buffer guides/strapbolts/solebar positions.  Been rather hectic of late and not going to ease up for a couple of weeks yet, but it's on the list of things to do..

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Andy Vincent said:

the spacing between solebars on this Furness wagon is 5ft 11.5in and the solebars are 12in x 4.5in 

Rather suggestive of 6' 4" centres of journals; for the modeller the key thing is it's 6' 8½" over outside faces of solebars.