More Pre-Grouping Wagons in 4mm - the D299 appreciation thread.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

No. 2 Son returns from uni tomorrow so today's task is to remove all evidence of modelling and research activities from his room.

Sounds like you need a shed. Or he does... 😉

Edited by Chas Levin
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Chas Levin said:

Sounds like you need a shed. Or he does... 😉

But today's news is that No. 1 Son has got funding for his PhD so that'll be his desk annexed for at least three years come October. 

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 8

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Compound2632 said:

But today's news is that No. 1 Son has got funding for his PhD so that'll be his desk annexed for at least three years come October. 

Excellent: good work! Does he realise the true importance of his award? Kids never seem to have their priorities right, do they? 🙄

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

On 10/03/2023 at 12:57, WFPettigrew said:

My first reading of this was to wonder how you knew the presumably fox victim of the aforementioned hounds was called Hilary....

I should have edited out the first line of Stephen's post...

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm just back from an interesting afternoon at the Basingstoke show where I hardly looked at any layouts since most of my time was spent chewing over Great Western 4-plank wagons and related matters with @Western Star and @Chrisbr. I did get some 0.35 mm drill bits from Squires, so am, finally, equipped to tackle the Brassmasters / @Andy Vincent Gloucester wagon... 

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I did get some 0.35 mm drill bits from Squires, so am, finally, equipped to tackle the Brassmasters....

Fun awaits.  A Brassmasters RCH chassis was the very first bit of modelling I did on returning to the hobby.  STEEP learning curve because of that, but aside from the "joys" of threading the spring wires through the 0.35 mm holes you will now be able to drill out, they go together very well (even with my hamfistedness).   Enjoy....!

Neil  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I'm just back from an interesting afternoon at the Basingstoke show where I hardly looked at any layouts since most of my time was spent chewing over Great Western 4-plank wagons and related matters with @Western Star and @Chrisbr. I did get some 0.35 mm drill bits from Squires, so am, finally, equipped to tackle the Brassmasters / @Andy Vincent Gloucester wagon... 

Time spent chewing over things with Graham is rarely wasted.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I did get some 0.35 mm drill bits from Squires, so am, finally, equipped to tackle the Brassmasters / @Andy Vincent Gloucester wagon... 

I have made a couple of small adjustments in the light of feedback from the early builders. Primarily this was making that part of the buffer shank that is embedded in the buffer beam longer and slightly widening the bore. This was to make it easier for those who use sprung buffers. The 16' versions also had the guide hole for the brake hanger bracket slightly out of position. All existing stocks at Brassmasters have been updated (one of the advantages of 3D printing!) but if anyone else picked one up at Warley and needs an updated component then drop me a message.

I look forward to seeing the completed wagon - my test builds and others I have seen have yet to be fully painted and lettered! Next up will be 5 plank with raised end and 4 plank with curved end followed by end door versions.

Andy

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

There really is little need for a 0.35mm drill for that purpose - they go ping far too readily - and I never use them to open out etched holes. What I do instead is (where material thickness allows) to drill holes out to 0.5mm, which allows space for solder in the joint, or where that isn't possible, to open the hole out with the tip of a cutting broach.

By the way, the cheapest source of perfectly reasonable 0.5 mm drills is in the packs of 10 HSS drills that Draper Tools sell (about 3 quid a go from multiple online sources). I think I've had one blunt drill out of about 10 packs, and they last well.

Adam

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Adam said:

There really is little need for a 0.35mm drill for that purpose

Actually in this instance yes there is. Because there are 3 very closely placed holes on each spring tab to allow for height adjustment. So they do need drilling out at the right size otherwise you would merge holes, as well as losing the ability to tweak the ride height of needed. Plus the spring wire would be flopping around in a too-big hole which would need to the springing and ride height.

Ifyou have a small enough reamer then that should do it but this is opening out an already etched hole, and careful use of a pin chuck does the business.

All the best

Neil

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, WFPettigrew said:

Actually in this instance yes there is. Because there are 3 very closely placed holes on each spring tab to allow for height adjustment. So they do need drilling out at the right size otherwise you would merge holes, as well as losing the ability to tweak the ride height of needed. Plus the spring wire would be flopping around in a too-big hole which would need to the springing and ride height.

Ifyou have a small enough reamer then that should do it but this is opening out an already etched hole, and careful use of a pin chuck does the business.

All the best

Neil

I have several of these chassis, so know what you mean. I found that the holes were a good fit on the wire so there was no need to open them out. There could be examples which were a touch under-etched (it happens, etching can be variable), but again, that's where the tip of a broach has served me well, just enough to press out or remove the cusp. In any event, though I have broken fine tapered broaches over the years, they break less readily than the drills.

Adam

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Makes a change from packets of three from the barbers.

Jamie

Wow - Old Skool.

Nowadays the only things they seem to sell in packs of three in barbers' shops round here (North London) are things like men's moisturiser, or different types of moustache wax.

How things change...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I nipped down to Halfords to get more grey primer but they only had white and red. I'm torn which to use on my cows:

326545853_743279976903641_21734857252671

[Embedded link to Hereford Cattle Society UK Facebook page.]

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3
  • Funny 4