More Pre-Grouping Wagons in 4mm - the D299 appreciation thread.

They are a bit of a movable feast. Lost of designs all slightly different but all doing the same job. The NBR, G&SWR and the Cally all had them and as they were built in the days of drawings area a guide I would work to a photo with the drawing to aid.

Marc

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I think this deserves to be published somewhere rather more permanent than here. The Midland Railway Society has a journal or does Midland Railway Trust have a journal? Or it go to one of the commercial journals, or even the HMRS.

Jonathan

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

I think this deserves to be published somewhere rather more permanent than here. The Midland Railway Society has a journal or does Midland Railway Trust have a journal? Or it go to one of the commercial journals, or even the HMRS.

This post is a draft for a section of my next article for the Midland Railway Society Journal, which has a working title of "The Rise and Fall of D299". This follows on from the two articles on lowside wagons already published, with a third part in press.

Back when I was involved in academic research, it was usual practice to announce one's findings by means of a paper or poster presentation at a conference, followed by a draft paper on a pre-print sever. This not only assured one's priority but also enabled one to gain valuable feedback from colleagues in the research community. I view posting on here in much the same light.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Because, when I look at my collection of incomplete loco kits, I live in hope rather than despair, I have ordered CamKits' latest release, a kit for the Class A or 1102 0-6-0T

Although strongly associated with the Swansea Vale line, three of the class were at Saltley at my period, where their duties included working the passenger service on the Walsall Wood branch from Aldridge to Brownhills:

484015073_Aldridgestation1102ClassBrownhillsBranchtraincrop.jpg.89d3b4108ed8e7bea65be88f448df19f.jpg

These were Nos. 1129A, 1130A, and 1131. I have therefore also ordered a set of CamKits' brass numerals, which come with a better proportion of 1s than the Slaters etch!

Wheels, motor, gearbox will be ordered once I have the kit in hand.

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Because, when I look at my collection of incomplete loco kits, I live in hope rather than despair, I have ordered CamKits' latest release, a kit for the Class A or 1102 0-6-0T

Although strongly associated with the Swansea Vale line, three of the class were at Saltley at my period, where their duties included working the passenger service on the Walsall Wood branch from Aldridge to Brownhills:

484015073_Aldridgestation1102ClassBrownhillsBranchtraincrop.jpg.89d3b4108ed8e7bea65be88f448df19f.jpg

These were Nos. 1129A, 1130A, and 1131. I have therefore also ordered a set of CamKits' brass numerals, which come with a better proportion of 1s than the Slaters etch!

Wheels, motor, gearbox will be ordered once I have the kit in hand.

I have been promised my two for this Monday but I am not holding my breath because I was told they would be ready by last July. In fairness, Richard Evans aka CamKits, has been working flat out on his model of Three Cocks which is due to be exhibited at Bristol Show next year -  a chance to run some of my stock on his train set.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, MR Chuffer said:

Although the photo is a little indistinct, any ideas what the carriages are? It looks like only one brake to me.

I have looked at these closely but am now looking even more closely! (See end.) Both have six ventilator hoods, which identifies them as 40 ft carriages. The furthest ventilator hood on the second carriage is right up at the end, indicating the double doors of a luggage or brake compartment; the double doors are very clear on the first carriage. The left-hand of the double doors of both carriages has a droplight, this, together with there being six lamps on each carriage, indicates that both are brake compartments rather then just luggage.

So, 40 ft carriages:

• Drg. 294, third brakes with four compartments, 30 to lot 3 built 1878. These had the first style of clerestory roof.
  • Drg. 294 and Drg. 386, third brakes with five compartments, 40 to lot 5 built 1878. These omitted the clerestory in favour of a slightly higher arc roof, used on all subsequent Clayton arc-roof carriages. Otherwise the were very similar to lot 3, except that whereas lot 3 had a long brake compartment including a "fake" third class compartment, lot 5 had a shorter brake compartment.

88-4538-0015.jpg

[Embedded link to catalogue image of MRSC 88-4538-0015, DY5798]

• Drg. 331, composites arranged T/F/F/F/T/Lug, 30 to lot 17, 10 to lot 50, 10 to lot 58, all built 1879-80. In 1888 50 40 ft composites were converted to composite brake, probably including some of these 50, but it is unclear whether that involved converting the third class compartment adjacent to the luggage compartment into part of the brake compartment, which was the layout of other brake-ended vehicles, and whether the left-hand of the double doors had a droplight fitted, as was also usual. In 1895, 40 composites with two third and three first class compartments had one first converted to third; whether this included those already converted to composite brake is unclear. 
  • Drg. 332, composites arranged T/T/F/F/T/Lug, 50 to lot 16, built 1879-80, and 37 to lot 83, built 1882-83. The comments about conversion to composite brake also apply. There were also 20 carriages of this type built for the MSJS in 1879, 8 of which came to the Midland c. 1900 on the renewal of the joint stock. All of these had had the second third class compartment from the non-luggage end converted to a pair of lavatories.

64331.jpg

[Embedded link to catalogue thumbnail of MRSC item 64331.]

• Drg. 332, composite brakes arranged T/T/F/F/T/Bke, 50 to lot 69, built 1882, externally similar to the composites but with a droplight in the left-hand double door from new. By the time these carriages were withdrawn c. 1918-22, some had the adjacent third class compartment converted to give an enlarged brake compartment, as described above.

64329.jpg

[Embedded link to catalogue image of MRSC item 64329.]

• Drg. 606, composite brakes arranged T/T/F/F/Bke, D528, 8 to lot 106, built 1884. These had the longer brake compartment from new; whereas the Drg. 332 carriages had the luggage compartment doors right up at the end of the vehicle, with the hinges only 9" from the end, these had the doors set 1' 9" from the end.

64347.jpg

[Embedded link to catalogue image of MRSC item 64347.]

The earlier lots had Pullman-style bogies with equalising beams but lots 69, 83, and 106 had iron-framed bogies with individual bearing spring to each axlebox. Both had the distinctive transverse leaf springs to the bolster, which can be seen in the photo, but I don't think one can otherwise distinguish which type they are.

1137434864_Aldridgestation1102ClassBrownhillsBranchtraincrop.jpg.1fdb48b22346d60f780cbb55cf2e4e23.jpg

Now, looking at the nearer carriage in the Aldridge train, it's got its luggage / brake compartment doors well inset from the end. There's also quite a lot of space either side of the lamp at that end and the other five lamps, along with the ventilator hoods, look to be equally spaced. Therefore I think this is a third brake of lot 5.

The further carriage has its luggage / brake doors right up at the end. Looking at the eves panels, I think the one between the third and fourth doors from the leading end is longer than any of the others, with the eves panels either side of that being shorter but not as short as that between the first two doors - i.e. compartments are T/T/F/F/T. Therefore I think this is a composite to Drg, 332 rather than Drg. 331, but whether it's from lot 69, built as a composite brake, or from lot 17, 50, or 58, converted to composite brake, I don't think one can tell.

So the train has two first class compartments, seating a total of 12, and seven or eight thirds, seating 70 or 80 - which seems about the right balance for the inhabitants of Brownhills. The trains on the "main line" here, the Water Orton and Walsall line, plying between New Street, Walsall, and Wolverhampton, were made up of five 6-wheelers arranged BT/T/F/T/BT giving 24 first class seats and 160 thirds - the same proportions. 

If arrangements c. 1902 were the same as in 1922, there would have been two sets of carriages, exchanged on Tuesday mornings by attaching them to a regular New St - Walsall train. The 1922 marshalling book does specify a third brake and composite brake - by that date possibly 43 ft / 45 ft arc-roofed carriages. By the closure of the line in 1930, the pair were a 48 ft clerestory lavatory third, D486, and a very grand lavatory brake composite 12-wheeler, an arc-roofed 54 ft carriage to D522, lot 359 of 1896:

60271.jpg

[Embedded link to catalogue thumbnail of MRSC 60271; for a sharper image see

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/brownhills/.]  

@MR Chuffer, thank you for asking, because I had previously thought this was a pair of 40 ft composite brakes but in writing this post I've been forced to look more closely! Two composites would provided way too much first class accommodation for the district.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, John-Miles said:

I have been promised my two for this Monday but I am not holding my breath because I was told they would be ready by last July. In fairness, Richard Evans aka CamKits, has been working flat out on his model of Three Cocks which is due to be exhibited at Bristol Show next year -  a chance to run some of my stock on his train set.

I had an email from Richard alerting me that the kit was ready, since I had expressed my strong interest some time ago. I've just had another email from him saying he will put the kit in the post on Monday. Reading seems to be one of the postal blackspots, with stuff ordered a couple of weeks ago and sent out by Royal Mail not yet arrived. I may be having a late Christmas...

I note the Bristol Show dates 28 - 30 April (which does not clash with anything yet in the diary) and location, Thornbury:

61460%20(766).jpg

[Embedded link to catalogue thumbnail of MRSC item 61460.]

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, MarcD said:

I have just made the S&DJR 8ton road van, MR Tariff vans and the MR unfitted Banana van available in multiple scales. I'm hoping to get the S&DJR and MR large cattle vans done next week.

The banana van version is after my period but I'm seriously tempted by the tariff van version. I could even succumb to an S&DJR road van. There's plenty of evidence for these working through to L&SWR destinations, even Waterloo, but unfortunately I've not found any evidence for their working north of Bath. But I'll see how that medium cattle wagon goes first, please!

15 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

too much first class accommodation

Thanks for the clarification. Having just acquired a kit-built Ratio Brake third and a composite in decent shape and livery pending next year's Hatton 6 wheelers and my dilatory efforts in building my own Ratio kits, I have 2 carriages and wondered how prevalent it was for the MR to run with one brake. I'm guessing, better with 2 brakes...

Edited by MR Chuffer
deleterious should be dilatory
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

We live in hope! (Not Hope, Derbys.)

60794.jpg

[Embedded link to catalogue thumbnail of MRSC item 60794.]

Ooooo that's a very nice timber built station building.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

We live in hope! (Not Hope, Derbys.)

60794.jpg

[Embedded link to catalogue thumbnail of MRSC item 60794.]

In my childhood Derbyshire village we used to say, live in Hope, die in Castleton!

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Regular readers may have noticed a lack of actual modelling here!

The offspring have sprung back - both still some way from properly springing off - and reclaimed their desks in warm parts of the house, leaving nowhere convenient to work without being chilled through in this cold snap. This isn't helped by leaving all the internal doors open downstairs, apparently necessary to allow free circulation of the cat. Not that she's circulating at all, having spent all day curled up on her favourite cushion up against a radiator.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13