• RMweb Premium

Thanks Ian, will that be a scratchbuilding project or is there a kit available?

Martyn.

Worsley Works have some etches available, so I have 2 sets on order. No idea how much of a 'scratch aid' they will be, just have to wait & see, then put together a shopping list of parts.

Now that you have most of the details on, they are really starting to look the part.

More power to your elbow.

Regards

Ian

Hi Folks,

On the subject of class 303's I spotted this when looking for DMU kits;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silver-Fox-Models-DC-Kits-Class-303-Scotrail-EMU/372423622421?hash=item56b62d7f15:g:1uAAAOSwFmRbjC5g

Gibbo.

Looks worth a punt, nicely finished too; asking about the same as the basic kit looking at the starting price! I have seen a couple on Ebay upwards of £300 so I suspect it will fetch quite a bit yet. Britannia Pacific do a RTR 4mm 303 in a choice of liveries too (£465), I'm guessing based on the same kit but not 100% sure: http://www.britanniapacific.co.uk/Overhead%20303.htm

Cheers,

Martyn.

Worsley Works have some etches available, so I have 2 sets on order. No idea how much of a 'scratch aid' they will be, just have to wait & see, then put together a shopping list of parts.

Now that you have most of the details on, they are really starting to look the part.

More power to your elbow.

Regards

Ian

Looks excellent Martyn, I was right about the primer bringing it all together! :)

I think the next big step will be the cab windows, but well done so far.

Thanks for the kind comments gents.

Ian: that sounds a good start at least. If the cab ends aren't included perhaps they could be modified from Mk.2 coach ends? I started a class 312 Driving Trailer in 'N' many years ago using an old style Farish Mk.2 as a basis with hand painted window inlays. May still have it sonewhere but it didn't get beyond the one vehicle unfortunately.

Keefer: I'm not too worried about the cab windows at the moment, but it may take some looking at cheap product packaging to find some that is a good fit, if the Wills packaging I have in mind is no good (not checked yet). It would be handy to know how B.P. Models do theirs (as per link in previous post). . . . :yes:

Martyn.

Windscreens!

I've noticed that some clear plastic food containers, e.g. the Tesco meal deal square pasta boxes deform when put in the dishwasher, but they retain their optical properties. Extending this further, you could try making a (wooden) former that is a snug fit to the inside of the cab and then using some of the aforementioned container and hot water; with I guess a dose of good luck or a lot of trial and error.

Windscreens!

I've noticed that some clear plastic food containers, e.g. the Tesco meal deal square pasta boxes deform when put in the dishwasher, but they retain their optical properties. Extending this further, you could try making a (wooden) former that is a snug fit to the inside of the cab and then using some of the aforementioned container and hot water; with I guess a dose of good luck or a lot of trial and error.

Thanks Andy, will certainly bare that in mind next time I'm in Tesco if nothing presents itself in the meantime; I do like a pasta salad on occasion! :yes:

Martyn

The bodies have had a darker grey undercoat applied, which is nearer the tone of the BR Blue and I had hoped would suit the roof, however 303 roofs look virtually black in every photo so not sure whether to just weather it with darker shades, or respray the roof black before weathering.

The cab ends, after masking, had a coat of white primer followed by WP Yellow. Whilst in a yellow frame of mind, the bogies (like the underframes now sprayed black) have had the axleboxes picked out. Once all the "yellowness" has dried fully, the sides and inner ends will be sprayed BR Blue.

post-28743-0-61769900-1536163248_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-12583900-1536163345_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-83629800-1536163471_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Thanks for the kind comments and likes folks, it is very much appreciated I can assure you.

The BR blue has been sprayed today, and the sliding door footsteps picked out in an aluminium colour while the bodies were off. I'm still undecided on the roof colour.

Otherwise, next jobs are painting the bufferbeams and pantograph area details and fitting the buffing gear, jumper cables etc, along with lettering, varnishing, glazing etc and sorting the interiors....still a fair bit to do then!

post-28743-0-37388300-1536269636_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-85990900-1536269763_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-47856200-1536269808_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

The 303 looks excellent . I think you might be right about the roof though, maybe it could do with being a tad darker. No idea what the colour actually was, but people visiting a clean Glasgow today forget just how grimy the city was back in the 70s. Lots of dark buildings and grime . I’m sure 303s would have picked up their share of grime too. Once again your progress on this puts me to shame. I’m still thinking about it!

The bodies have had a darker grey undercoat applied, which is nearer the tone of the BR Blue and I had hoped would suit the roof, however 303 roofs look virtually black in every photo so not sure whether to just weather it with darker shades, or respray the roof black before weathering.

The cab ends, after masking, had a coat of white primer followed by WP Yellow. Whilst in a yellow frame of mind, the bogies (like the underframes now sprayed black) have had the axleboxes picked out. Once all the "yellowness" has dried fully, the sides and inner ends will be sprayed BR Blue.

attachicon.gifIMG_20180905_164413_1.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20180905_164449_1.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20180905_164544_1.jpg

Hi,

I've just been perusing some photos, and as far as I can make out the roofs were painted a dark, almost slate,  grey which would weather darker, but definitely not black.  

Roja

Hi,

I've just been perusing some photos, and as far as I can make out the roofs were painted a dark, almost slate, grey which would weather darker, but definitely not black.

Roja

Hi Roja, yes it is a case of shades of grey and how they appear in photos, at different times and with different weathering I think. 2 photos I keep coming back to on the Eastbank site are this one: http://www.eastbank.org.uk/images/Units/UK0544.jpg

(1969 so date-wise perfect for me) which shows - in sunlight - a not too dark, fairly clean grey, possibly not long out of works in this livery - and this one: http://www.eastbank.org.uk/images/Units/UK1447.jpg

which is a later view but shows a well weathered roof, notably browny/red roof staining either side of the pantograph presumably from water spray in wet weather. The roof colour on this second one looking more typical of most photos I have seen hence my earlier comment, but I guess date and how long out of works etc would make a difference. Mine would be fairly fresh out of works post repaint (as per the first photo) so I don't think I'll go too mad with the weathering on this one. Shade-wise the jury is still out.

Thanks,

Martyn.

Hi Roja, yes it is a case of shades of grey and how they appear in photos, at different times and with different weathering I think. 2 photos I keep coming back to on the Eastbank site are this one: http://www.eastbank.org.uk/images/Units/UK0544.jpg

(1969 so date-wise perfect for me) which shows - in sunlight - a not too dark, fairly clean grey, possibly not long out of works in this livery - and this one: http://www.eastbank.org.uk/images/Units/UK1447.jpg

which is a later view but shows a well weathered roof, notably browny/red roof staining either side of the pantograph presumably from water spray in wet weather. The roof colour on this second one looking more typical of most photos I have seen hence my earlier comment, but I guess date and how long out of works etc would make a difference. Mine would be fairly fresh out of works post repaint (as per the first photo) so I don't think I'll go too mad with the weathering on this one. Shade-wise the jury is still out.

Thanks,

Martyn.

Hi,

it's that perennial problem that all us modellers face using colour photographs.  There are so many factors that affect the photograph, such as the type of emulsion on the film, the quality of light at the time of the photograph was taken, aperture setting etc etc!  I would think the only definitive answer would be to consult the official documents regarding painting, if they still exist, and even then there would be slight variations in the paint blend depending on human factors amongst others!  Use whatever colour you think looks best!

As an aside, I've seen a couple of photos of the first Blue Trains with very pale grey, almost white roofs, but it seems they were soon changed to the darker grey although when this happened, and whether they were all painted white in the first place I have no idea!

Regards,

Roja

Remember the foot step board was steel/alloy, but the bottom half of the doors that you have cut away to fit the chassis was blue. The doors has a recessed lower half.

Hi, I think that was later on, blue/grey days possibly? Going from photos, when first painted BR blue and into the late 70s from the bottom of the door down to the footstep was silver/aluminium as here:

http://www.eastbank.org.uk/images/Units/UK1447.jpg

Photos show that Refurbished units with the hopper windows (possibly all, but I'm not sure as its outside my era of interest tbh) in the Strathclyde livery had a slightly deeper, different door profile later too.

Martyn

Even if your roof is a bit light, the whole thing looks so classy I'd be tempted to leave as is, just a bit of weathering on top perhaps.

A really excellent piece of modelling.

John.

Thanks John, I have now decided to keep the grey roof as it is (fairly similar to rtr Bachmann coach roof grey), mainly as I have started painting the insulators etc around the pantograph. It may get some airbrush work at some point though.

Cheers,

Martyn.

• Like 1

Not had much modelling time over the past couple of days but a few details are in progress; MJT buffers and buffing plates have been painted ready for fitting and cab end jumper cables fabricated from brass wire and bits of insulation stripped from electrical wire as I couldn't find any Hornby class 50 RTR bits in stock at my usual sources which would have been suitable for the job; these will be painted prior to fitting once I'm happy with how they sit; so far just test fitted to check position and fit.

post-28743-0-33344800-1536448133_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-72131600-1536448167_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-29197500-1536448184_thumb.jpg

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 5

Buffing plates, buffers and MU cables have been added along with cab end handrails and a base coat of yellow added to the latter. Tiny valve handles were added to the centre pair of Train Air pipes with small blobs of epoxy resin; one or both of these will be painted red (they seem to differ over time in photos; both red in the 1969 photo linked above), but the handles are quite prominent in photos so I felt I needed to attempt them; not something I want to do again, so excuse the cruel close up...

post-28743-0-61438700-1536612794_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-03013600-1536612871_thumb.jpg

I probably should have sorted the 2 character headcode box decals first but forgot!

Edit for correction.

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 7

Buffing plates, buffers and MU cables have been added along with cab end handrails and a base coat of yellow added to the latter. Tiny valve handles were added to the centre pair of cables with small blobs of epoxy resin; one or both of these will be painted red (they seem to differ over time in photos; both red in the 1969 photo linked above), but the handles are quite prominent in photos so I felt I needed to attempt them; not something I want to do again, so excuse the cruel close up...

attachicon.gifIMG_20180910_213911_1.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20180910_214027_1.jpg

I probably should have sorted the 2 character headcode box decals first but forgot!

Hi Martin,

Those cables look great even though the cab front is about six inches across on my screen !

To harsh on yourself,

Gibbo.

Here are your possible headcode permutations. Some were never used in practise, others were quite rare.

Most used in the early days anyway were 15, 35, 65 and 26

https://web.archive.org/web/20040312161544/http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk:80/303tributepage5.htm

Edit - tried to paste it in here but the formats were lost

Jim

Edited by luckymucklebackit