Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

I'm no expert or masochist in these matters and for reasons forgotten, I settled on buying a couple of Dapol Cattle wagons (4F-020-037) which for some reason haven't entered into the conversation here.

How are these considered? They look good to my eye, only issue I found being getting inside to install weights and stock.

I believe the Dapol body is stretched to fit on their generic chassis. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, MrWolf said:

On a related matter, as the cattle wagons I have to build up are ancient kits, what is actually wrong with the ends on the Cooper Craft W1/W5?

I don’t believe there is anything hideously wrong with the Cooper Craft kit. Geoff Kent was adapting it to a more modern variant in his book. He did replace the roof I think… I’ll have a look later.

I think a decent GWR cattle van is well overdue for the 4mm modeller. The Hornby SR Maunsell and Bulleid versions show what a RTR manufacturer can do. Accurascale or Rapido, please!? 

Best wishes,

Nick.

Edited by Brinkly
Typo
  • Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Not being a wagon buff I had no idea there were so many variations on the GW cattle wagon.  It was always my understanding that the Cooper Craft one was pukka, so it's sad to learn that its end/roof profile is wrong.  I always thought that it was the Hornby Dublo/Wrenn one that had the wrong roof profile, being based on a BR (albeit GWR-derived) prototype.  My CC models will stay as they are - life's too short and they look good enough for me!  And I've now got all the cattle wagons I need including one each from LMS, SR and LNER.  But if Accurascale or Rapido were to produce one ...... 

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4

2 minutes ago, checkrail said:

Not being a wagon buff I had no idea there were so many variations on the GW cattle wagon.  It was always my understanding that the Cooper Craft one was pukka, so it's sad to learn that its end/roof profile is wrong.  I always thought that it was the Hornby Dublo/Wrenn one that had the wrong roof profile, being based on a BR (albeit GWR-derived) prototype.  My CC models will stay as they are - life's too short and they look good enough for me!  And I've now got all the cattle wagons I need including one each from LMS, SR and LNER.  But if Accurascale or Rapido were to produce one ...... 

My feelings exactly, they look OK to me, spent a lot of time working on them so mine stay.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

The only potential difficulty I can see with re-k launched Coopercraft kits might be the condition of the tools.  Some of the late production road vehicle kits seemed to come with considerable amounts of flash although whether this was due to sloppy production work or worn tools I don't know.  Easy enough to clean up on larger parts but maybe (?) not so simple on smaller components or items?

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

You have given me the kick I need to build some wagons. I never have an issue building coaches but rarely have the enthusiasm for wagons. 

Coopercraft cattle wagon now on the bench. Looking at the instructions ( is that a first???) There is a drawing with the correct end profile. Fret has a half plank too many in height. Did the tool maker mess up? On with the build.

Mike Wiltshire

20230122_095203.jpg.b28653e4e5b89aadcfae67e5d850ad4b.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

15 hours ago, Brinkly said:

I don’t believe there is anything hideously wrong with the Cooper Craft kit. Geoff Kent was adapting it to a more modern variant in his book. He did replace the roof I think… I’ll have a look later.

I think a decent GWR cattle van is well overdue for the 4mm modeller. The Hornby SR Maunsell and Bulleid versions show what a RTR manufacturer can do. Accurascale or Rapido, please!? 

Best wishes,

Nick.

Thanks, that's interesting to know, we try not to do too much modernization, it upsets the livestock.

My initial plan was to replace the window bars with wire, fit brass bearings, decent wheels and three link couplings.

I've also still got some of the old Bachmann / Mainline LMS cattle wagons which I'm hoping will scrub up reasonably well.

• Like 8
  • Funny 2

On 20/01/2023 at 22:14, BWsTrains said:

I'm no expert or masochist in these matters and for reasons forgotten, I settled on buying a couple of Dapol Cattle wagons (4F-020-037) which for some reason haven't entered into the conversation here.

How are these considered? They look good to my eye, only issue I found being getting inside to install weights and stock.

Brief comments. (The brake gear is a generic lever brake, so not very GWR.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

You have given me the kick I need to build some wagons. I never have an issue building coaches but rarely have the enthusiasm for wagons. 

Coopercraft cattle wagon now on the bench. Looking at the instructions ( is that a first???) There is a drawing with the correct end profile. Fret has a half plank too many in height. Did the tool maker mess up? On with the build.

Mike Wiltshire

20230122_095203.jpg.b28653e4e5b89aadcfae67e5d850ad4b.jpg

That is a rather interesting discovery, Mike. 

Out of interest, what is that taken from? 

s-l1600.jpg.efaa5c7b8c27815cbb35bf449f30cab8.jpg

I discovered that several of the diagrams in the Russel book were out when I put a scale ruler over them. 

All the best,

Nick.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

20 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

The only potential difficulty I can see with re-k launched Coopercraft kits might be the condition of the tools.

The later tools were done by Tony Brown (at Leytonstone). He wasn't in the same league as the original Mr Coopercraft (at Minehead), whose name I have forgotten.

Point taken about the condition of the tools. They'll need some cleaning up and test running. I'm sure Mr Cambrian knows what he's doing.

Edited by Miss Prism
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Just to illustrate yet another cattle wagon option, I acquired almost by accident another Oxford model.

Here is an unfitted 9'wb vehicle. The roof was an experiment, but I do like the idea, and may repeat it on other 'older' vehicles!

Post_01.jpg.e60b891522b7d309bf3151a61c537db2.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
On 20/01/2023 at 22:56, MrWolf said:

Thanks for the information, I might just replace the rooves if I can tackle the strapping issues neatly. I've got a couple of broken MINK wagons I can practice on.

ISTR reading about the filling in of the vent /washing out slot over the brake levers.

I can imagine that being a problem, cow or sheep muck is a tolerable nuisance, it wipes off, but pig muck follows you around all day, unless you can have a proper wash and if you get it (or any of the others) on the clothes you're spending 12 or more hours in.... Bleh.

I'm sure I have seen someone does a brass etch of the strapping with the correct profile. Just wracking my brains to remember where! Wondering if it a Morgan Designs product?

Edit: Actually now thinking it might have been MRD, but their website now only shows a mere 2 products. Not sure what happened to all the bits they used to have! I feel sure it has cropped up recently on RMWeb.

Edited by 57xx
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I've also still got some of the old Bachmann / Mainline LMS cattle wagons which I'm hoping will scrub up reasonably well.

Yeah, about them... I happened to have out my recently finished Parkside kit of the LMS cattle can and because of the discussion on here dug out my 40+ year old Mainline version for comparison.

LMS-Cattle-comparison.png.714542a8aa4cfcd1ba03d0133fe68b9a.png

Quite a difference there.

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, 57xx said:

Quite a difference there.

Your next mission,   .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  (Insert name of really accurate wagon maker here), are newly tooled cattle wagons.

I wonder how high up cattle wagons came in the recent poll and were our favourite wagoneers listening? Hopfully yes.

Lovely piece of plastic sculpture there Ric 👍

Edited by longchap
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to all of you for your comments and photos on the subject of cattle wagons. As they're in a box somewhere, I hadn't realised that the four LMS cattle wagons that I have are quite so irredeemable. My plan was to replace the over heavy window bars, replace the couplings and probably the wheels if they were the old plastic ones.

I think that the most efficient solution is  probably put them on eBay and then put a little more cash into Parkside's beer fund.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Thanks to all of you for your comments and photos on the subject of cattle wagons. As they're in a box somewhere, I hadn't realised that the four LMS cattle wagons that I have are quite so irredeemable. My plan was to replace the over heavy window bars, replace the couplings and probably the wheels if they were the old plastic ones.

I think that the most efficient solution is  probably put them on eBay and then put a little more cash into Parkside's beer fund.

Sorry!

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, longchap said:

Your next mission,   .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  (Insert name of really accurate wagon maker here), are newly tooled cattle wagons.

I wonder how high up cattle wagons came in the recent poll and were our favourite wagoneers listening? Hopfully yes.

Lovely piece of plastic sculpture there Ric 👍

It might be worth asking Amanda at Bygone Wagons https://bygone-wagons.com/ (usual disclaimer).

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

John,

I continue to admire Stoke Courtenay with every photo you provide. I have followed from page 1.

Two queries,  please:

What are your platform surfaces, as I can see paving edging, paving infill and some other form of infill, possibly tarmac or gravel. Advice would be appreciated, as most finishes I have seen are too 'heavy' in texture. All your textures are subdued and in scale to my eye.

How can I get in touch with 'Phil@ Harlequin' - I need a Signal Box nameplate, and I'm using the same Bachmann/Kernow box as the one on your layout. 

I'm 80 years old, living in Oz since 2017,and trying to start modelling again after some health issues, now fortunately resolved.

Geoff

Edited by Biggles Dog
removal of email address
  • Friendly/supportive 5