Cutty Blacks, York

steve1

• RMweb Premium

I noticed it the other day, bottom of Walmgate - plastered with model railway company names on the window - but I was on the other side of the street with some people who weren't interested so I didn't look any closer!  Will have to go and investigate some time.  I hope they don't do Monk Bar Models any harm!

• RMweb Premium

I popped in earlier this morning.  There seems to be lots of shelves full of RTR stock, with a lot of American rolling stock on the shelves by the door.  The friendly gentleman also pointed out several bins with second hand equipment in.  The Bachmann stock was displayed on shelves behind the counter and I asked if he had the new anchor-mounted tanks and would have bought one if he had, but he said they were expected this week.  I couldn't think of anything else I wanted to buy, so I didn't look much further!  I don't know much about American rolling stock so I can't really comment on that although there seemed to be quite a lot of it, but I enquired about structure kits.  I was told they had a few in other scales than HO in stock, but could order anything you want from the Walther's range, although it may take a few weeks to come.  He also said they trade in second hand stuff via E-bay, but I don't do E-bay myself so can't really comment on that side of it either.

Thanks for the heads up. Although I go to York often, Walmgate isn't somewhere I frequent. Will have to have a bimble down there and have a look.

And yes, there's already Monk Bar - can York support 2 model shops?

Thanks for the heads up. Although I go to York often, Walmgate isn't somewhere I frequent. Will have to have a bimble down there and have a look.

And yes, there's already Monk Bar - can York support 2 model shops?

Yes it can, as there's P & S Hobbies & Models on Fossgate already, so Cutty Blacks makes 3! ;)

• RMweb Premium

Ooh, yes, I'd forgotten about that one! Passed it many times, but never visited!

Neither have I and I've lived in York for 13 years!  I don't think it has much model railway stuff although sometimes materials aimed at other modelling activities can come in useful.

I can vouch for having seen some eBay listings and having browsed as a Jorviking (may have made that term up) by birth it perked my interest.

Needless to say, by the strength of that statement, I was brought up with Monkbar Models as a kid (albeit a strong diet of Airfix 1:72 ww2 fighters) and have always enjoyed dragging my better half on a tour in between the stream of clothiers when we infrequently visit...

I'm glad that there is now a more railway orientated retailer in what has always historically been considered a railway town (city!) it shows that the hobby is still thriving in some quarters, certainly with an online presence to cater for the growing trend of online purchases and secondhand models.

Paragon

Jon.

Ooh, yes, I'd forgotten about that one! Passed it many times, but never visited!

Me neither but that's because the flippin' place is always closed whenever I've been past it, whatever time of day it is!

steve

Neither have I and I've lived in York for 13 years!  I don't think it has much model railway stuff although sometimes materials aimed at other modelling activities can come in useful.

It's mainly plastic kits, boats, some live steam and large scale garden railways. I enjoy a good mooch in there some lunch times...

• 5 months later...

Cutty Blacks (John) were open during Christmas Week, but on limited hours. Told me they would be open full time from today, Tue 27/12.16. Perhaps advisable to phone beforehand, in case staff have to pop out to post stuff, etc.

Very helpful people and to be recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

I visited them last September and came away with an Athearn Southern Pacific breakdown crane that I'd been hunting for for some time. If you model US-outline in N, H0 or O they're well worth a visit/phone call. Just make sure you've got a flexible friend with you :)

I'll definitely be back this year, once my bank account recovers from the shock of Christmas.

Archived