Cooper craft - Cautionary notes for customers - Its fate and thoughts on an alternative

Edwardian

CCJs or other bad credit data tied to the address may be detrimental to future occupiers should they ever apply for credit.

Andrew

The only way to make it "detrimental" to the property is to register a charge against it to satisfy the CCJ.

It won't be detrimental to future purchasers but it will mean the CCJ is paid out of sale monies.

Edited by meil

The warning on the front page also implies that the Blacksmith products are now available and can be ordered since they are now on the website.Actually they have been listed for some time.

"Our full current and up to date catalogue is here online and can be browsed. Should you wish to do so, it is also possible to buy online over our secure server all items from our catalogue"

If none of the items are available this way then that is false and misleading advertising. Is this an offence in the UK? It certainly is here.(Australia)

Interestingly I found I still have an account showing an outstanding order from 2013 sitting on the site. In my case I had ordered via a different page so did not see the warning. In the end since I paid by credit card my bank eventually refunded on the basis of a failure to deliver goods and no response from the vendor to my enquiries.

• Like 2

Can't everyone who paid by credit card now initiate a dispute through the card company. Customers get their money back and instead of lots of small creditors Dunn would have a handful of credit card companies breathing down his neck.

No, unless the orders were over £100

Anthony Farrell is in Australia though, where the Consumer Credit Act does not apply. In the UK the credit card company only has a legal obligation between £100 and £30000. Unless you have a very, very charitable card issuer or have mates on the watchdog production team, you're not going to see squat outside that range. 

It worked for Antohny Farrell post 1429. The rules vary from card to card

Hi,

If anyone doubts the value of this (and similar )threads. Consider an exchange in the last few days on the LMS coaches part of RMweb. The thread was by someone building a rake of my O gauge kits. Someone who introduced himself as a 4mm modeller enquired about them and another contributor in all good faith said that Ian Kirk had also  done 4mm coach kits and gave a link to the website we are discussing here. Unsurprisingly the very next post issued a warning and a suggestion to look at this thread before ordering anything. Which is just as well, when I clicked on the link yesterday it took me straight to the coach kit pages of the website without passing the page on which is Mr Dunn's "warning". A quick experiment here seemed to indicate that I could have placed an order and money would have been accepted. (I did not complete ) If Mr Dunn would like to stop people posting criticisms here then surely he must see that a proper edit of his website, removing or marking unavailable items would remove much of the grounds for criticism. Come on Mr D its not rocket science or I suspect very expensive and think of the positive postings you might get once it is done.....

I like the references to Monty Python, particularly the dead parrot. In our case though it is Schroedinger's Parrot. Until you open the box (by placing an order ) it might be alive, it might be dead.

best wishes,

Ian

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

If anyone doubts the value of this (and similar )threads. Consider an exchange in the last few days on the LMS coaches part of RMweb. The thread was by someone building a rake of my O gauge kits. Someone who introduced himself as a 4mm modeller enquired about them and another contributor in all good faith said that Ian Kirk had also  done 4mm coach kits and gave a link to the website we are discussing here. Unsurprisingly the very next post issued a warning and a suggestion to look at this thread before ordering anything. Which is just as well, when I clicked on the link yesterday it took me straight to the coach kit pages of the website without passing the page on which is Mr Dunn's "warning". A quick experiment here seemed to indicate that I could have placed an order and money would have been accepted. (I did not complete ) If Mr Dunn would like to stop people posting criticisms here then surely he must see that a proper edit of his website, removing or marking unavailable items would remove much of the grounds for criticism. Come on Mr D its not rocket science or I suspect very expensive and think of the positive postings you might get once it is done.....

I like the references to Monty Python, particularly the dead parrot. In our case though it is Schroedinger's Parrot. Until you open the box (by placing an order ) it might be alive, it might be dead.

best wishes,

Ian

Ian,

I seem to recall that you once intended to / actually did introduce 4mm. scale kits for LMS non-corridor stock.

What is the story about these - were moulding tools produced and, if so, what happened to them?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Hi John,

Yes indeed I had the period2 non corridors (that I eventually did in O gauge) on the stocks when the range went to Colin. The roof and ends were already tooled and if I recall correctly several hundreds of mouldings run off. The whole lot was passed on. The idea was that once Colin was up and running and perhaps needing a boost in sales (new products always did this) he would get me to do the side moulds as a sub contract. In fact Colin found the existing range more than enough to go on with so the "new" releases were never needed and IIRC Mainline announced non corridor LMS around that time (but did the "wrong" ones). So that means that somewhere there is the moulds and mouldings for part of LMS suburban coaches but lacking sides. I suppose I should apologise to all of the potential customers who would have liked to buy these over the years!

best wishes,

Ian

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi John,

Yes indeed I had the period2 non corridors (that I eventually did in O gauge) on the stocks when the range went to Colin. The roof and ends were already tooled and if I recall correctly several hundreds of mouldings run off. The whole lot was passed on. The idea was that once Colin was up and running and perhaps needing a boost in sales (new products always did this) he would get me to do the side moulds as a sub contract. In fact Colin found the existing range more than enough to go on with so the "new" releases were never needed and IIRC Mainline announced non corridor LMS around that time (but did the "wrong" ones). So that means that somewhere there is the moulds and mouldings for part of LMS suburban coaches but lacking sides. I suppose I should apologise to all of the potential customers who would have liked to buy these over the years!

best wishes,

Ian

Thinks - IF the tools could be located; ex-Kirk roof & ends + Comet sides + plastic card floor + Ratio seats + Bachmann or Dapol bogies = Period 2 suburbans in 4mm. scale; (and no need to solder, for those who won't).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Thinks - IF the tools could be located; ex-Kirk roof & ends + Comet sides + plastic card floor + Ratio seats + Bachmann or Dapol bogies = Period 2 suburbans in 4mm. scale; (and no need to solder, for those who won't).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Dapol u/f needed too, I suppose.

• RMweb Premium

I suppose so - as an alternative to building one from plastic card as I'd proposed.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

OK - I'd misunderstood "floor". But in fact apart from the ends, I don't see what one would gain form the Kirk mouldings if starting from a Dapol kit (£13) unless there's reason to suppose the Kirk roof is an improvement.

• RMweb Premium

With respect to going around in circles, I think this thread needs to be kept front and centre of RMWeb by regular contributions (or by being pinned) so that it is readily available for any others which may be unaware of the risks of ordering from Coopercraft.

• RMweb Gold

This exchange took place on a thread about Mousa Models future production (well according to the title anyway :) ) but it really belongs on this thread so I have copied it here.

Colin, How can I put this? It's not 'the facts' themselves that are at issue, as far as I am concerned, it's the tone with which all this is being discussed. No one, as far as I am aware, is arguing with the fact that Coopercraft have been/still can take money for goods that are not likely to be produced in the near future, if at all, or the fact that this - as a business practice - cannot be condoned. But the manner (or tone) in which some of these 'discussions' are being undertaken, (in my opinion, based on what some, certainly not all, individuals have posted, especially in the Coopercraft thread) has moved from an understandable 'righteous indignation' to something less pleasant.

Can you really blame those who have been conned for being stronger in their response than 'righteous indignation'. If a wide ranging discussion of ways of getting Dunn to behave offends then either refrain from reading, or more usefully, contact Dunn and try to talk some sense into him.

In addition to everyone's frustration at Dunn's behaviour we also have to read posts attempting to defend the indefensible and criticising victims for the understandable tone of their posts.

I have always found railway modellers to be a friendly bunch but it would be sad if Paul Dunn's behaviour drives a wedge between those who deplore his actions, and those who defend them and/or wish we would keep quiet and let things continue as they are at Coopercraft.

Edited by Colin_McLeod
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

This exchange took place on a thread about Mousa Models future production (well according to the title anyway :) ) but it really belongs on this thread so I have copied it here.

Can you really blame those who have been conned for being stronger in their response than 'righteous indignation'. If a wide ranging discussion of ways of getting Dunn to behave offends then either refrain from reading, or more usefully, contact Dunn and try to talk some sense into him.

In addition to everyone's frustration at Dunn's behaviour we also have to read posts attempting to defend the indefensible and criticising victims for the understandable tone of their posts.

I have always found railway modellers to be a friendly bunch but it would be sad if Paul Dunn's behaviour drives a wedge between those who deplore his actions, and those who defend them and/or wish we would keep quiet and let things continue as they are at Coopercraft.

I couldn't agree more - I'm afraid that the redoubtable Captain Kernow seems to believe that we live in world where all is sweetness and light; where n'er a harsh word is spoken, and everyone lives in peace and harmony.

As I have said before, it's time those of like mind woke up a smelled the coffee.

We are talking about wilful criminal activity here, and all the 'give him the benefit of the doubt' weasel words in the world will not will change that.

Why is it so hard for some people to face up to the fact that there is a section of society that does not give a s**t for the generally accepted norms of behaviour, and is more than happy to take advantage of the gullibility of those who view the world through pink, fluffy glasses?

The best outcome for all concerned, including Dunn, would be for him to be brought to book and to have to face the consequences of his misdemeanours.

Oh ..... and a Happy New Year to one and all !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 7