Kernow MRC announce 4-TC

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Not sussed out where you find the interior lights but does not seem to be on F1. 

The interior lights are worked by the 5th function which the 36-557 does not have - see my earlier post #794 on this subject.  

I believe the new version of the 36-557 does have the necessary additional functions. However, sounds like you have the Mk1 version......

Edited by RFS

• RMweb Gold

My NSE version (as well as the RTC version) arrived today. Just got the NSE version out and fitted a Bachmann 36-557 21-pin decoder and placed it on the track amongst some new Polish friends and got the headcodes working:

attachicon.gif4-TC-01.jpg

Not sussed out where you find the interior lights but does not seem to be on F1. Will hopefully sort that out later. First impressions are good especially the dark blue finish which matches the loco currently pushing the unit:

attachicon.gif4-TC-02.jpg

which turned out to be Haymarket which, unbeknown to the powers that be, got fitted with the SR multiple unit wiring.....

attachicon.gif4-TC-03.jpg

If Haymarket can get to push the NSE set then 97201 is off for a quick visit to Stewarts Lane to be wired up for MU running with the RTC set......

Keith

Some nice looking PKP stock there, can I see some GYSEV stock too ?

• RMweb Gold

Some nice looking PKP stock there, can I see some GYSEV stock too ?

:offtopic: Yes, you can see some GySEV stock - one of my favourite liveries plus the Taurus in 140 year anniversary livery. The train is normally parked in that position so can easily run it just to hear the musical sounds of the Taurus as it moves away - just fantastic!! Just wish the EPBs, CEP and REPs sounded like that.

Keith

• Like 1

Just ordered my RTC set with the intention of modelling 73205 and 83301.

Does anyone have an image of the plaque/crest below the London Chamber of Commerce nameplate on 73205?

I've been trawling the internet but just can't find a clear picture of it.

Thanks,

John

Just got mine today and had a bit of a faff getting the lighting to work with DCC. As with the DJ Models class 71, you need a 5-function decoder to get all the lighting to work correctly. This is what I found having fitted a spare Lenz 21-pin decoder:

F0 - turns on the head-code lights at each end (or rather just enables them)

F1 - then turns off the head-code light just at the rear

F2 - then turns off the head code light just at the front

F5 - turns on the interior lights

There are 3 switches on the underside of the TBSK to do this for DC users, but they must all be on for DCC users. 

Also the head codes are directional: the rear shows white/red blinds according to direction whereas the front shows 91 in either red or white! I shall be changing this to white/red blinds for which a spare head code panel is supplied. 

There is no information in the supplied leaflet to say how the functions work with DCC which I think is a bit poor.

However I am extremely pleased with this model!

I have tried several different decoders in my 4TC so far.

A Hornby Sapphire worked the headcodes but not the interior lights.

Ditto a Hattons 21 pin decoder.

As both are 4 function decoders, there are no surprises there. The interior lights do work on straight DC.

I now have a Lenz Silver+ 21 in it, and the interior lights have worked for the first time on DCC. However, there are now no headcode lights whatsoever. What is going on??

I will have to investigate further, but any suggestions would be welcomed.

Further to yesterday's post, I spent a fair amount of time swapping decoders and trying different brands. I programmed each decoder in a locomotive with a 21-pin setup before installing it in the 4TC. I eventually ended up with the Lenz Silver+ 21 back in it, but this time everything worked properly, so I am now happy with it. I'll have to do the same thing when the blue/grey TC arrives.

• RMweb Premium

The message I had from Kernow today when I was sorting out payment was blue/grey due in 2 to 3 weeks.

Roy

BR Blue/Grey set 404 (32-641Z) now showing in stock, with the other B/G set 8022 and the NSE 8023 still to arrive.

Edited by brushman47544
  • Like 1

BR Blue/Grey set 404 (32-641Z) now showing in stock

Oh dear, that's another hit on my credit card already! 

I had a friend drop over today very keen to see my blue unit 416 in action - he also has 404 on order. He was very impressed, particularly with its stability being propelled for a good half hour at near scale speeds. I also ran it through crossovers, both in pushed and in pulled modes.

My only comment on lighting now relates to the Heljan class 33 needing a red tail indication in its headcode lighting. 

I must jump onto Kernow's email and ask them to include a Lenz Silver decoder in the package.

• RMweb Gold

I now have a Lenz Silver+ 21 in it, and the interior lights have worked for the first time on DCC. However, there are now no headcode lights whatsoever. What is going on??

I will have to investigate further, but any suggestions would be welcomed.

I have a Lenz Silver+ 21 in mine and all the lights work.  F0 turns on the head-lights, and then F1 turns off the front lights, and F2 turns off the rear.  This is to allow you to have lights only on one end (eg switch off the end facing the 33 etc.). So to get all the lights on, F0 and F5 need to be on with the Lenz, and F1 and F2 must be off. 

Since you had problems before, you could get them to fit and test it too for a very reasonable (in my view) fee.

I'm not too worried now I know it works. I was getting quite adept at getting the body off by the end. :)

I have a Lenz Silver+ 21 in mine and all the lights work.  F0 turns on the head-lights, and then F1 turns off the front lights, and F2 turns off the rear.  This is to allow you to have lights only on one end (eg switch off the end facing the 33 etc.). So to get all the lights on, F0 and F5 need to be on with the Lenz, and F1 and F2 must be off. 

All sorted now. Even though the decoder actually accepted the programming originally (no readback on the programming track to verify due to the lack of a motor), I found that it worked correctly after I reprogrammed it while installed in a locomotive, then reinstalled it in the TC. I had tried all the combinations of functions earlier and there simply weren't any headcode lights, regardless, but it is fine now, with the same decoder fitted.

One small trick I do is to run the TC with the speed set above zero, to ensure the Lenz decoder doesn't switch the lights off after standing for a while. Does anyone know the CVs required to change this behaviour? It seems to be peculiar to Lenz decoders, and I have observed it in all of my 2 EPB and 4 CEP units, which are all fitted with the Lenz Silver+ 21 decoders - when left standing for some time, the lights switch off, but come back on again as soon as the controller is moved off speed 0.

I do intend consisting the 33 and TC but I need to set the functions that work in the consist, something that can be done more easily using Decoder Pro.

Edited by SRman

• RMweb Gold

One small trick I do is to run the TC with the speed set above zero, to ensure the Lenz decoder doesn't switch the lights off after standing for a while. Does anyone know the CVs required to change this behaviour? It seems to be peculiar to Lenz decoders, and I have observed it in all of my 2 EPB and 4 CEP units, which are all fitted with the Lenz Silver+ 21 decoders - when left standing for some time, the lights switch off, but come back on again as soon as the controller is moved off speed 0.

I have several 4-CEPs with Lenz 21-pin decoders (and for a while had 2-EPBs with Lenz but they now have Zimo) and I've never seen this happen. Is it perhaps a function of your DCC command station rather than the decoder? 

Is it essential on DCC to have a decoder fitted or will the lights still work as if on DC. Intend to fit a decoder but do not see the point in forking out for a Lenz silver or an ESU 53614 when the Bachmann badged ESU 53614 will be a good few quid cheaper. Its slightly annoying that they are using the same catalogue number as that of the Soundtraxx MC1/MC2 hybrid but then we have had different version of TCS and Lenz decoders all with same name or number. Has anyone actually come across a ESU 53614 packaged as a Bachmann 36-557 yet?

• RMweb Gold

Is it essential on DCC to have a decoder fitted or will the lights still work as if on DC. Intend to fit a decoder but do not see the point in forking out for a Lenz silver or an ESU 53614 when the Bachmann badged ESU 53614 will be a good few quid cheaper. Its slightly annoying that they are using the same catalogue number as that of the Soundtraxx MC1/MC2 hybrid but then we have had different version of TCS and Lenz decoders all with same name or number. Has anyone actually come across a ESU 53614 packaged as a Bachmann 36-557 yet?

Not quite... the lights will be on all of the time... including the headlights and the red blinds (perhaps with a flicker) .... on DC they will be directional.

Griff

Just ordered my RTC set with the intention of modelling 73205 and 83301.

Does anyone have an image of the plaque/crest below the London Chamber of Commerce nameplate on 73205?

I've been trawling the internet but just can't find a clear picture of it.

Thanks,

John

John,

I have a picture but it is not mine. PM me and I can send it.

I received  my RTC set last week. Looks very good, just needs the roof vents changing and roof and bogies/underframes heavily weathering for my period.

Cheers. 

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone else noticed that in the October Model Rail review of the BR Blue set, the TBSK has been put in their set the wrong way round? Even though in the article, they actually reference the instructions saying which way round to place all the vehicles. Has it been done as a deliberate mistake one wonders, or are the instructions wrong?

Edited by Geep7

The interior lights are worked by the 5th function which the 36-557 does not have - see my earlier post #794 on this subject.  

I believe the new version of the 36-557 does have the necessary additional functions. However, sounds like you have the Mk1 version......

Hi,

My Blue Grey 404 4-TC arrived today and I fitted it with the new Bachmann 36-557 6 function DCC decoder (from Alton Model Centre).

Only needed eight strips of plastic card to get into the brake coach to access the DCC decoder.

The new decoder works all the lights as RFS's post of the 5th September said.

Interior lights are switched by F5 key on the default settings of this decoder.

The new 36-557 decoder has different packaging (plastic) from the previous version (small cardboard box).

Model Railways Direct website seems to have a photo of the new decoder circuit board but their description was for the old decoder (no mention of the extra functions or Railcom).

Regards

Nick

Edited by NIK

Has anyone else noticed that in the October Model Rail review of the BR Blue set, the TBSK has been put in their set the wrong way round? Even though in the article, they actually reference the instructions saying which way round to place all the vehicles. Has it been done as a deliberate mistake one wonders, or are the instructions wrong?

It's not a deliberate mistake. The instructions are not wrong. The person who wrote the review and test-ran the model coupled it correctly. When it went to the studio for photography it is unlikely to have been coupled, as the reviewer wasn't in attendance at the time. (CJL)