Kernow MRC announce 4-TC

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Following on from that,I'm going to pass on the bar coupling,as I'm wary of the possible consequences. In any case,given that I now have the 4TC on the track and safely coupled together,no mean feat in itself,changing its coupling is not an easy task,so until I'm more confident,I'll leave it as it is.

• Like 1

Thanks for the thoughts on couplings.

All of my Heljan locos immediately get their cranked tension lock couplings replaced with straight ones as soon as I take them out of their boxes when new. That takes care of the droop and the height mismatches, usually. I'll have to experiment with the Kadees when the TC arrives - easier to do before I assemble the unit, using just one of the DTS vehicles.

In preparation, I have added Kadee #19 couplings to the intended class 33, but as it was late last night, I haven't checked against the height gauge yet. I intended to use D6520, an early release Heljan model with newer wheels and Howes sound on a LokSound v3.5, but  wanted to use Legomanbiffo's newer sounds on a v4 decoder (which I have on a newer model of 33 117). Since both models are in blue fye, it was a relatively simple job to swap the bodies over, so D6520 is ready and waiting for it's allocated train to arrive.

• RMweb Gold

Best of luck with that.Anyway,you can rest assured you are in for a treat when it arrives.The outfit's running properties are phenomenally good.When first put on my track on an almost imperceptible gradient,it ran away from me following gravity.I wish all stock were this free running.I don't have DCC so no sound.but the "authentic" clicketty clack it makes as it glides effortlessly around my track compensates for that.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I had trouble with both Kadees and tension-locks when pushing the 4TC with my Heljan 33/1, so I decided to try Hornby's R8220 close couplings. They work perfectly. I hope they work just as well with 8 cars, when my second 4TC set arrives.

• RMweb Gold

Just got mine today and had a bit of a faff getting the lighting to work with DCC. As with the DJ Models class 71, you need a 5-function decoder to get all the lighting to work correctly. This is what I found having fitted a spare Lenz 21-pin decoder:

F0 - turns on the head-code lights at each end (or rather just enables them)

F1 - then turns off the head-code light just at the rear

F2 - then turns off the head code light just at the front

F5 - turns on the interior lights

There are 3 switches on the underside of the TBSK to do this for DC users, but they must all be on for DCC users. 

Also the head codes are directional: the rear shows white/red blinds according to direction whereas the front shows 91 in either red or white! I shall be changing this to white/red blinds for which a spare head code panel is supplied. 

There is no information in the supplied leaflet to say how the functions work with DCC which I think is a bit poor.

However I am extremely pleased with this model!

Edited by RFS
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I had trouble with both Kadees and tension-locks when pushing the 4TC with my Heljan 33/1, so I decided to try Hornby's R8220 close couplings. They work perfectly. I hope they work just as well with 8 cars, when my second 4TC set arrives.

Well I tried that and Kadees...but it doesn't do it for me,I'm afraid.Back then to tension locks.Both alternatives missed by a country mile.The supplied couplings work perfectly well now in either direction.

Edited by Ian Hargrave

• RMweb Gold

Well I tried that and Kadees...but it doesn't do it for me,I'm afraid.Back then to tension locks.Both alternatives missed by a country mile.The supplied couplings work perfectly well now in either direction.

I've set mine up with a Hornby R8220 in the loco and the (shorter) Roco version in the TC and that works a charm.  Nicely close-coupled and no problems at all with derailments whether pushing or pulling. 

I did first try Kadees, but the NEM pocket on the loco (Heljan 33/1 D6511) is way too high but that doesn't seem to affect the Roco couplings. 

Edited by RFS

Here is my one making its debut.

36952649172_da7a8c540d_z.jpgP1080168am by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

I used the tension lock coupling with the Heljan one on the 33/1 and it works fine.  The 4TC is incredibly free running.

There are a couple of minor errors:

• intermediate gangways should be blue not black;
  • there were no large tables in the bays on the DTSOs, only very small ones under the windows only big enough for a couple of cups.

In addition, I thought the bogies looked a bit on the thin side. The B5(S) was quite a chunky bogie:

11688013006_e1967a8a63_z.jpg4TC-TF_ActonCentral_8-1-94 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Here is my one making its debut.

36952649172_da7a8c540d_z.jpgP1080168am by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

I used the tension lock coupling with the Heljan one on the 33/1 and it works fine.  The 4TC is incredibly free running.

There are a couple of minor errors:

• intermediate gangways should be blue not black;
  • there were no large tables in the bays on the DTSOs, only very small ones under the windows only big enough for a couple of cups.

In addition, I thought the bogies looked a bit on the thin side. The B5(S) was quite a chunky bogie:

by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

The Acton photo of the real one is from 1994 in other words much later than the modelled first release.  Details differed.

Notably as seen at Acton the premier sets had window bars which the main fleet never received when in blue.  I wouldn't swear to the gangways having been blue and not black when delivered - a case of no conclusive record to hand but memory suggests they were painted blue but usually appeared black due to weathering.  I do recall full-size tables in the DTSO coaches though obviously not at those bays served by an exterior door.  It is possible these were loose-fitted tables as one could find on Mk1 coaches across the network and that they were not present on all units, or all the time, nor indeed at every bay.

The Acton photo of the real one is from 1994 in other words much later than the modelled first release.  Details differed.

Notably as seen at Acton the premier sets had window bars which the main fleet never received when in blue.  I wouldn't swear to the gangways having been blue and not black when delivered - a case of no conclusive record to hand but memory suggests they were painted blue but usually appeared black due to weathering.  I do recall full-size tables in the DTSO coaches though obviously not at those bays served by an exterior door.  It is possible these were loose-fitted tables as one could find on Mk1 coaches across the network and that they were not present on all units, or all the time, nor indeed at every bay.

Yes, I know the Acton photo is later. I took it. I also know that the details differed. However, I posted that photo to show the bogies, which were essentially as new.

If there were full-size tables during their regular service, they came later. They certainly did not have them when new. However, one DMSO in each 4 Rep did I believe have removable tables in the end adjacent to the restaurant/buffet car. There are tables in the survivors now, or at least some of them.

There is no doubt that the gangways were blue on blue/grey units. I saw enough of them to know. I would be amazed if the style differed when they were blue.

Edited by robertcwp

• RMweb Gold

Like with all other SR EMU's the shroud around the inner gangways, and the gangways themselves were blue when they were painted Blue and Blue/Grey.

Is it just the faces of the gangways that are black on the model?

Like with all other SR EMU's the shroud around the inner gangways, and the gangways themselves were blue when they were painted Blue and Blue/Grey.

Is it just the faces of the gangways that are black on the model?

No, the sides and top are also black and should be blue. The outer end gangways are correct.

Just watched the BTF film Speedrail to the South about the 1967 Bournemouth electrification. No large tables in the bays in the stock when new but you can see the little tables for a couple of cups and the catches either side where removable large tables could be clipped in. No clear shots of intermediate gangways. There is an odd for the camera piece showing a 33/1 being coupled up at Bournemouth, but it's being coupled to a 4 Rep not a 4TC.

Those units, 301 - 303, were strengthened to 4TC by the addition of converted Mk1 FK vehicles in 1974.  At this distance from the event I can't remember now whether any ran in b/g as 3-car

Definitely ran in B/G as 3-cars - I saw all 3 at Weymouth in June 1971 and they were definitely B/G as I never saw any TC's in plain blue - no photo's though as I was only 8 ........  :D

Definitely ran in B/G as 3-cars - I saw all 3 at Weymouth in June 1971 and they were definitely B/G as I never saw any TC's in plain blue - no photo's though as I was only 8 ........  :D

Yes, I saw at least one 3TC in blue/grey too. I would have been very young at the time and recall being somewhat baffled by seeing a 3-car EMU when I thought all of that general type were 4-car.

Last all-blue ones were repainted by 1971 and the 3TC units were not strengthened until 1974.

Here is a late survivor in blue in 1970:

5408664508_d4578bdcbb_z.jpg4TC_420_413_Wimbledon_22-5-70 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

• Like 3