Kernow MRC announce 4-TC

Andy Y

I will simply say that I wholeheartedly disagree with that assertion and leave it there.  My comments regarding the electric for the 4TC have been made above.

But living Down under, leaves you short on what much of the rest of the World is up too. I Know I was in Aus a number of times when I worked for the UN back in the 1980's.

Presumably you Facebook page is written in English? Not helpful for Japanese! But the Japanese have always tended to be insular, one of the main reasons not even Marklin was aware of the size of the Japanese market, and Marklin had thought they were the worlds largest until I shoved the financial proof under their noses, that Tomix is the Worlds largest and valued in Billions of US dollars ! 

:offtopic:

It might be educational to note that my layout's Facebook page currently has almost 7000 followers.  The very great majority are in India and the next largest number is in the UK.  Japan registers just two according to the Facebook-provided data.

:offtopic:

• RMweb Premium

The Fleischmann and Trix brands are still alive and well. Under different ownership yes but the brands themselves are still very much alive and well. The Swiss market is largely served by suppliers outside Switzerland, particularly from Germany and Italy. That Japan is a huge market for model railways is not in doubt (I'm very familiar with Japan) but I still find it very hard to believe that the hobby there is three times bigger than the rest of the world combined.

Please could we cease the off topic discussions regarding DC vrs DCC and also other brands etc and return to keeping this thread about the Kernow Models 4TC

The specification of the proposed 4TC is its specification and its price is its price you can make your choice as to order or not accordingly. 

• RMweb Gold

For the record: There is a bipolar signal by the DCC controller, but the carrier is 18v AC. The command station as quoted does NOT switch the direction of the DC voltage directly or ALL locomotives would change direction. That has to be done by the chip itself, on receiving the command for that chip to change !

Stop trying to tell people who do understand what the DCC track signal is when you clearly have no understanding of it yourself. There is no "AC Carrier", the signal data and the power are one and the same. 

DCC is a bipolar square wave signal which changes direction twice for each bit. To transmit a 1 bit there is a short pulse of signal one way followed by a short pulse the other way. A 0 bit is a longer pulse one way and then the other. These pulses are 18 volts or so of DC but each bit has one pulse of each direction. 

This would be what the power does for a 1 bit 

-->  <-- 

so one pulse each way

for a zero bit it would be more like 

-----> <-----

same pattern but longer!

These pulses make up an almost continuous stream of bits with the power stream constantly reversing in direction. The decoder listens to these pulses but the only thing it it interested in is the pulse changing direction and the time between pulses changing direction. This is how it gets its instructions from the command station.

The power to move the loco (and light the lights etc.) is these same pulses. The pulses are full 18volts (or there abouts) and 5 amps or more, the decoder also has a full wave rectifier built in that takes these constantly changing pulses and turns them into a DC power source that it can then send to the motor.

So many myths about DCC, so many people who don't have any understanding of how it works who have to try at every turn to run down users and put others off using it.

Andi

Apologies Mod4, written before I saw your post

Edited by Dagworth
  • Like 1

But living Down under, leaves you short on what much of the rest of the World is up too. I Know I was in Aus a number of times when I worked for the UN back in the 1980's.

Really!

I like the saying ' a closed mouth gathers no foot! '

Just to stay on topic, I look forward to receiving an all over blue one in due course.

Edited by aussiebrfan

It was nice to see and touch the 4TC at Midland Railex, it does look very good. Changes are a foot for the cab front windows/gangway issues.

I just need to decide what to order.

Cheers.

Save yourself the time thinking about it and order all 6. Simples

• RMweb Premium

Do you get a discount for buying in bulk?

No but if you are a UK customer you would get a hefty boost to your loyalty account.  You don't have one?  Ask them - simples.  

• RMweb Premium

Changes are a foot for the cab front windows/gangway issues.

Whilst that might delay the eventual release slightly it should also address the concerns some of us have expressed here.  Kernow get it right - or as right as reasonable costs and scale permit - and have said before that they will not release a commission for sale until they are satisfied with it.  I am sure they take note of this and other forums and the comments offered when cross-checking their samples.

• Like 2

It was nice to see and touch the 4TC at Midland Railex, it does look very good. Changes are a foot for the cab front windows/gangway issues.

Cheers.

what are they changing to address the gangway issue? if they get it right, i'll get one. having enough fun trying to sort out my Hornby VEP so wouldn't bother with a TC if its not closer to correct

Cheers.

29/12/93 - The premier charter's 4TC went through Tonbridge on a railtour from Victoria to Dungeness via Bromley South, Tonbridge and Hastings - would that fit in with your time period/location of your model.

what are they changing to address the gangway issue? if they get it right, i'll get one. having enough fun trying to sort out my Hornby VEP so wouldn't bother with a TC if its not closer to correct

The window to gangway position will be changed. Currently too wide a gap. The moulded handrail will remain.

Cheers.

29/12/93 - The premier charter's 4TC went through Tonbridge on a railtour from Victoria to Dungeness via Bromley South, Tonbridge and Hastings - would that fit in with your time period/location of your model.

Steve,

I was certain of the full NSE one, but am considering the RTC version as I have several pictures of it going through Tonbridge via Hildenborough. I am lucky, in my period most DC EMU types visited Chart Leacon for overhauls and other works, including TCs and REPs.

Cheers.

Whilst that might delay the eventual release slightly it should also address the concerns some of us have expressed here.  Kernow get it right - or as right as reasonable costs and scale permit - and have said before that they will not release a commission for sale until they are satisfied with it.  I am sure they take note of this and other forums and the comments offered when cross-checking their samples.

That's ok. More time to get the cash together. I'm going for the earlier blue/grey one.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Very superb model by the looks of things, but I am surprised they are doing this model 'motored' tbh....and don't see the point,

when it should be run with/powered by another unit or cl 33 / 73.

just reading the info on Kernow site and had to laugh at "provision for DCC Sound".......the sound of what, the clickety clack of

the tracks ? lol :-)

p.s. if this was un-motored (and therefore cheaper) I would likely get one, but as it is...alas no.

Very superb model by the looks of things, but I am surprised they are doing this model 'motored' tbh....and don't see the point,

when it should be run with/powered by another unit or cl 33 / 73.

just reading the info on Kernow site and had to laugh at "provision for DCC Sound".......the sound of what, the clickety clack of

the tracks ? lol :-)

p.s. if this was un-motored (and therefore cheaper) I would likely get one, but as it is...alas no.

It is an unpowered model. Not sure about the sound , possibly for doors, guards whistle, flange squeal. etc....

• RMweb Gold

It is an unpowered model. Not sure about the sound , possibly for doors, guards whistle, flange squeal. etc....

Indeed it is of course unpowered and the sound version as discussed already in this thread will include the distinctive air brake sounds as well as Horn etc

• Like 1

If the loco and TC are used in a DCC consist, then sounds and certain functions can also be operated at the same time. Reducing the throttle to 0 (zero) should make both items slow then apply brakes, if the sound decoder is set up properly.

I recently consisted two SLW class 24 locos which have the brake function on F2. By default, only the lead engine responded to F2, resulting in the trailing loco pushing the leader along after it had tried to stop. Using Decoder Pro (JMRI) software, I was able to easily select certain functions to "respond to consist address" by merely clicking in the checkboxes (much easier than looking up the lists of CVs to change). I set functions 1 (sound on/off), 2 (brake), 5 (light engine/rapid response), and 6 (return engine sounds to idle) to respond to function selections for the consist address.

Once the TC sound decoders become available, we'll all be able to see what needs synchronising and what works without intervention.

• Like 1