Kernow MRC announce 4-TC

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Anyone who wanted to know what it was like to travel in REPs and TCs should have tried to get to the buffet while going through Eastleigh station at speed. All I can say is that you needed the sea legs of an old sea dog :D

Edited by Ian J.
  • Like 1

Off topic for a thread about TC stock but-

Dont forget that a REP was 3300HP, the same as a Deltic, I know a coupe of old hand drivers who had the pleasure of working a REP solo and to say they were quick off the mark and just kept pulling would be an understatement, apparently the top speed was 'a bit more than the speedo went up to' and was a 'bit' rough in places.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks.  I may just end getting 33102 as it was a common one in NSE days.  I've probably got too many already though as I have 101,103,108,114 and 118 already!

Yep you need a 102. I have a couple of them because it seemed so common ;)

Not really. One is waiting on decision ... It was purchased to convert into a 33/0, that would be a silly thing to do now so I will probably renumber.

Griff

• Like 2

Yep you need a 102. I have a couple of them because it seemed so common ;)

Not really. One is waiting on decision ... It was purchased to convert into a 33/0, that would be a silly thing to do now so I will probably renumber.

Griff

Let me know if it needs a new home. ;)

Mmm a "bespoke handcrafted model" for £320 . Compares pretty favourably on price. Helps give some perspective. Thanks for link. Will have a look to see what else on offer. Must admit had never heard of Britannia Pacific.

Further Edit. Great I didn't realise they offer ready to run Glasgow Blue Train and DBSO . We still need to know what price Bachmann will charge for their forthcoming DBSO , but based on the 4TC cost I'm not encouraged. Looks like Britannia Pacific could well be less expensive for a tailor made model. Thanks again for link

Must admit I have been very satisfied BP customer for many years. Peter Hazleton is great guy to deal with but like many of the smaller bespoke suppliers he has had yet another of his models added to a mainstream catalog.

Edited by Martin_R

• RMweb Premium

A couple of points.

A 4Rep running solo was required to have at least two traction motors isolated as I recall in order to prevent seriously overspeed running and excessive current draw.  That didn't stop them topping the "ton" on numerous recorded and no doubt many more unrecorded occasions.  A 4Rep on its own would have almost certainly been an e.c.s. move and not in traffic.  It happened but it was rare.  Again drawing the comparison it would be like a Deltic running light engine up the ECML - you didn't do it unless you had to.

The NSE "3TC" photo does not show an original 3TC.  Those units, 301 - 303, were strengthened to 4TC by the addition of converted Mk1 FK vehicles in 1974.  At this distance from the event I can't remember now whether any ran in b/g as 3-car or whether the conversion was done at the same time as the repaint.  This was to boost capacity following the "spark effect" of massively increased traffic on the route post-electrification and because the original need for a 3-car unit had more or less ceased - if indeed it ever really existed.  These conversions and a small number of all-new units also converted from Mk1 LHCS allowed the Weymouth - Waterloo fasts (only serving Southampton between Bournemouth and Waterloo) to be increased from 2-hourly to hourly and those semi-fast duties which were previously Rep+TC to become Rep+TC+TC.  

The ride was lively and there were certain characteristics.  Seated in the TC without any traction motor noise one might just discern the "ding-ding" of the guard's starting signal but there was otherwise little clue that the train was about to start. Until you received something of a shove in the back.  The best driving skills in the world could not entirely eliminate the push-pull effect when a Rep began shoving eight coaches in front.  There was a distinct jerk in the other direction as the traction took up the weight of the train and eight unpowered coaches started to follow it.  They could be a little rough through Eastleigh (possibly as much the track as the stock) and over Woking and Worting Junctions but they were an improvement on the Bulleid stock in use behind steam to the end.  And in some cases the BR suburbans rounded up and sent to Bournemouth while a number of the Mk1s were undergoing conversion.  The later TC/Rep - Wes conversion program replicated that exact scenario a generation later.

• Like 3

Could someone please tell me if I have to commit to paying for this before it is dispatched or whether you card is debited at the time it is dispatched? I have twice gone to pre order a unit and it's sent me to the "If it's not in stock within 3 weeks we'll cancel the order and tell you when it's in" page.  Any, nice step by step explanation would be most gratefully received to an ageing 1960 born grumpy old git who hates modern technology with a passion! :resent:

• RMweb Premium

As per my post above.

Kernow MRC will charge your card in full for the item if it is not in stock and not expected within 28 days of you placing the order, but that charge will then be repaid in full within 24 hours.  So you need to be able to pay when you order but you don't end up out of pocket (except for 24 hours) just yet.

You will be charged for the item and the shipping (if that is not free) at despatch once the item is in stock.  If at that time your payment is declined they will normally attempt to contact you via email to resolve the matter.

This ensures they are dealing with a genuine customer with funds available to purchase the item.  

I note there has been a slight change to their payments page which now includes the statement applicable to overseas customers that "You may ask us to NOT refund the payment if you prefer in order to avoid bank charges".  That is in response to the very high fees applied by some banks for international charge-back payments.  It does not apply to UK buyers but does mean those overseas buyers will be charged for the item (and presumably shipping) when the order is placed and - at the customer's request - without refund.

Edited by Gwiwer

So I can order and 'pay' for a TC tomorrow (should probably wait until payday next Friday), KMRC will then refund the money within 24 hours, I can then use some of that money to order and pay for a 71 and 74, and then in a few months time when the bank balance has recovered and the TCs are ready for dispatch KMRC will charge me for the TC again, is that right?

If so I would like to say  !

Weak old git aint I.  :locomotive:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You can order a 4TC and will be charged when you order.  You then get that payment back within 24 hours and can re-use it to pay for a 71 and a 74 which, because they are crowd-sourced projects, you will be charged for in full immediately without refund.  You can then save your pennies for the 4TC but will need the funds ready for when they are released.  It won't matter when the 71 and 74 are released because you will already have paid for them in full.  Which is exactly what I did apart from being overseas and taking steps to avoid almost $50 (£25)-worth of charge-back currency conversion fees.

Ditto here. I ordered the TC units through email to avoid being double-hit with international conversion fees.

The class 71 and 74 are charged, as Rick said, because they are crowd-funded and have to be pre-paid. However, having done that, I can expect a refund of £20 on the 74 because I have ordered the 71s already (DJM's special deal). I will lose a little of that £20 due to the fees, but there is no easy way around that.

You can avoid the charge/refund cycle if you phone up or email and order.

Edited by SRman

• RMweb Premium

Is it possible to place an order other than via Kernow's website where the card won't actually get charged in any way until the unit is ready to send out?

The NSE "3TC" photo does not show an original 3TC.  Those units, 301 - 303, were strengthened to 4TC by the addition of converted Mk1 FK vehicles in 1974.  At this distance from the event I can't remember now whether any ran in b/g as 3-car or whether the conversion was done at the same time as the repaint.  This was to boost capacity following the "spark effect" of massively increased traffic on the route post-electrification and because the original need for a 3-car unit had more or less ceased - if indeed it ever really existed.  These conversions and a small number of all-new units also converted from Mk1 LHCS allowed the Weymouth - Waterloo fasts (only serving Southampton between Bournemouth and Waterloo) to be increased from 2-hourly to hourly and those semi-fast duties which were previously Rep+TC to become Rep+TC+TC.  

Yes, they all carried blue/grey prior to becoming 4TCs. Last all-blue Bournemouth stock went b/g by c1970. Photos of the 3TCs in b/g are hard to find but I recall seeing one in such condition. I was at the time baffled by the fact that it was 3-car when I thought all such units were 4-car.

Is it possible to place an order other than via Kernow's website where the card won't actually get charged in any way until the unit is ready to send out?

Phone the guys at Kernow and ask them about options for payment - always best to talk to a human being.......

• RMweb Premium

This is from May 1983 (last carriage workings to include 4 Subs by the way) - note the 1700 departure. The 1810 to Yeovil Junction and Bournemouth was the same.

WAT-16-5-83_zpsbsbdzcuh.jpg

Also in the same book, and for a few years previously too, there was an hourly Sunday working 33/1+4TC Reading-Basingstoke-Eastleigh-Portsmouth Harbour.

On several occasions I saw that train with the Class 33/1 in the middle - no doubt one of the two inbound trains arrived into Waterloo late. With 12 car platforms I always wondered where they stopped. But then in those days of course one coach off the platform wasn't an issue...or even 4 such as at Pulborough on the down line where the platform held 8 but the Vic-P.Hbr/Bognor via Dorking service was 12 car most of the day.

Edited by brushman47544

• RMweb Gold

You can order by 'phone (as I always do) and there is no pre-payment that way although in my case they do have my card details anyway as regular customer/pre-orderer.

4 unpowered coaches at £67.50 each - Right-o. Ill gamble that these wont sell and will be reduced

And yes it is a 'too expensive' gripe - but it really is this time. Murphy Models Cravens/BR Mk2D coaches were made in less numbers (models that is) and were cheaper.........

January is not a good time to launch given many will be skint after Christmas

A nice model though

Can you point out where in the Murphy Cravens are the below Features?, I don't think they are in Mine.

"Working internal lights are fitted and head and tail destination blinds also illuminate.  Separate connecting doors are provided to give variations in headcodes, similar to the previous Bachmann 4-CEP model.

The unit is wired throughout using connectors similar to the Bachmann Blue Pullman model, which allows full electrical connectivity while also allowing relatively easy uncoupling when required.

Switches below the unit allow the internal lights to be switched on or off, and also allow for independent switching of the destination blinds at the front and rear of the unit.

The model is fitted with a 21 Pin DCC Decoder socket and also has provision for DCC Sound fitting.  One decoder is required for DCC operation and is fitted within the luggage compartment of the TBSK vehicle.  The switching arrangements for internal unit lighting are replicated for DCC and can all be controlled from the single decoder.

• RMweb Premium

The Model

This will be available in six liveries - full details of these are shown below.  

Working internal lights are fitted and head and tail destination blinds also illuminate. 

Switches below the unit allow the internal lights to be switched on or off, and also allow for independent switching of the destination blinds at the front and rear of the unit.

The model is fitted with a 21 Pin DCC Decoder socket and also has provision for DCC Sound fitting.  One decoder is required for DCC operation and is fitted within the luggage compartment of the TBSK vehicle.  The switching arrangements for internal unit lighting are replicated for DCC and can all be controlled from the single decoder.

This DCC decoder business has me slightly confused. If you don't want sound, do you need to fit a decoder if you use DCC? If there are switches to control the internal lights and the front and tail headcode blinds directionally, other than to avoid using the switches, what does the decoder add?