Hi Trev

There nice wagons those Heljan Cargowaggons. I've got two bogie and one twin set. They've had a bit of a heavy weathering unfortunately but they still look good. Ideal for a bagged lime service on PDW.

Cheers

Marcus

Morning mate!

They are nice aren't they? I decided to treat myself (that one wagon was £30 from Germany inc post off Ebay)

Ive got some of the loooong ones (1 Heljan I think and 2 x Roco) but thyre too big really for this layout. Sounds daft but 3 of them in a train and thats the equivalent of 3 x Mk1's.

Cheers

Trev :)

I like those cargo wagons but not sure they fit my layout

i need to get myself a wagon pair of those cargowaggon's!

looking good pal!

Hi guys

They are a good model, and well detailed. I don't think the difference is scale is too noticeable?

I like these 4 wheelers as they are fairly compact. 

Ive only usually seen them in huge rakes up and down the WCML, but I think having a WRD will give me justification to only have a few! (and the cost haha!)

Cheers for looking in!

Some good stuff going on.

Just came across this and its going to be a long read.

I like the Cargowaggon and 08 bridge shot with depth and empty uncluttered space - good ballast texture and shades.

Garage based always interesting if uninsulated ours was sublect to minus -8 in Winter 2010 to plus +30 most Summers (no danger at present as its in bits)

Regional Peds and filth - even the Mk Ones were filthy back then :D

Ian

Good morning Ian,

Thank you for commenting, its very much appreciated.

I too suffer the rigours of Polar Ice cap to Saharan sand dune heat fluctuations in the old garage! I have thought of adding some insulation, however Im only renting at the moment, and begrudge spending money on someone else's property when there are models to buy!

Thanks - all of my shots are taken from my phone. I have tried using the DSLR but have had varied results, and its a tad cumbersome. The phone has a greater resolution and is easy to get into quirky places. However it struggles on zoom and there is a great deal of noise.

Time to get the airbrush out then and dirty up the Ped - Come to think of it I never saw a clean one!

Cheers

Just catching up with the latest on your thread Trev, great stuff and loving your MGR hoppers too! :)

If you've got a hopper that's got a really filthy body, you can try a layer of Matt varnish over the silver hopper body, this will leave a great 'key' for your layer of paint-on/wipe-off dirt to really cling to the body and stain it like a really unloved hopper!

Keep up the great work and some superb 90s loco choices there!!

James

Morning James,

Thanks very much for your kind words.

TBH I'm still not happy with the hopper colours and yours are bang on.

I don't know how you've got the patience - Ive only done five and I need a holiday!  :crazy:  :banghead:  :lol:

Ill try the matt varnish. Maybe thats where Im going wrong?

Thanks for the heads up!

Not having a laptop is a real pain. I'm having to do my updates from work and its not the most convenient scenario!

Thanks to all that have recently posted. Like I've said previously it gives the old mojo a boost and it makes me glad that people appreciate what I percieve to be fairly mediocre and basic stuff compared to others on here. Cheers chaps  :bye:  :good:

Anyhoo.

In between emulsioning and being a dads taxi service to and from Coventry, I managed to sneak some modelling in this weekend.

A brief description of activities follows:

• Sanding back primed hardstanding and applying a further coat
  • Adding a buffer stop to one of the dead end roads. 
  • Clean and hoover track/baseboards/Fiddle Yard
  • Fit additional support bracing in between existing platform framework to provide a better base for the platform tops and lighting
  • Take delivery and fit platform tops
  • Fit platform lighting
  • Burn myself with hot glue and get it stuck in beard, resulting in cutting offending glue out and having a bare patch. Genius. :swoon:

A few pics. 

post-7156-0-11143200-1492498529_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-15836000-1492498542_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-45021200-1492498554_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-14044800-1492498566_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-33567100-1492498583_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-20784900-1492498595_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-97498200-1492498605_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-69617100-1492498615_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-72663900-1492498638_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-90781600-1492498654_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-20947300-1492498666_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like 8

Ha ha ha,

Nice set of pics Mate but I thought I would scroll down and see a pic of a Genius with a bare patch on his beard. lol

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

Thank you! 

No there's no genius here I'm afraid!!! - a big twit maybe!

• Like 1

A couple of views down the layout showing the platform and lights. 

I have used Express Models platform lights (having used them before) and they're nice and sturdy.

post-7156-0-24403000-1492516528_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-16018100-1492516546_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-00088900-1492516582_thumb.jpg

Cheers

• Like 6

Hi Peter

Thank you! 

No there's no genius here I'm afraid!!! - a big twit maybe!

Don't worry Trev, we have all done stupid things. My trick is to think be careful cutting that bit of plastic before stabbing my finger with a knife blade.

Looking at your RES class 47/7 reminded me of the last time I had a ride out on the Mainline with my brother driving. We had 47761 to Bournemouth and back to Eastleigh.

Cheers Peter.

Don't worry Trev, we have all done stupid things. My trick is to think be careful cutting that bit of plastic before stabbing my finger with a knife blade.

Looking at your RES class 47/7 reminded me of the last time I had a ride out on the Mainline with my brother driving. We had 47761 to Bournemouth and back to Eastleigh.

Cheers Peter.

I suppose its par for the course Peter!

My usual trick is glueing myself together with Superglue, and not the item I'm working on!

Excellent!

Great days! Sadly the only (half decent) pic I have of 761 is when I popped round Margam to phot the scrappers.

5890831940_98434f2f42_z.jpg

Found this one too Peter - 47488/47761/87*** - a very wet miserable (typical) day in Nuneaton:

8450856271_b67cdf8336_z.jpg

Cheers

Edited by big T
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

47761 was an absolute monster when I had it from Bristol T.M to Paignton and back to New St as cross country screwed up by borrowing a west coast mk3 set with DVT I think.

It was an absolutely hellfire day out with a quick dash to the pub for a beer all on a West-Mids day ranger ticket.

So I may have to do a model of 761 sometime I think I've got a spare VI Trains RES bodyshell.

The TTB's are looking great just the right amount of weathering for those and the look of the reggie rail stock brings back memories of the North Wales coast in the early 90's where I was most of the time.

Cheers 

Col

47761 was an absolute monster when I had it from Bristol T.M to Paignton and back to New St as cross country screwed up by borrowing a west coast mk3 set with DVT I think.

It was an absolutely hellfire day out with a quick dash to the pub for a beer all on a West-Mids day ranger ticket.

So I may have to do a model of 761 sometime I think I've got a spare VI Trains RES bodyshell.

The TTB's are looking great just the right amount of weathering for those and the look of the reggie rail stock brings back memories of the North Wales coast in the early 90's where I was most of the time.

Cheers 

Col

Those days are always the best mate,

47761 seemed  in good form on my trip out. I found a few pics, sorry about the quality I just took a few digital pics. Brother driving, running round at Bournemouth.

Cheers Peter. 

post-7022-0-00808300-1492606474_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-88540400-1492606515_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-29417200-1492606582_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Not having a laptop is a real pain. I'm having to do my updates from work and its not the most convenient scenario!

Thanks to all that have recently posted. Like I've said previously it gives the old mojo a boost and it makes me glad that people appreciate what I percieve to be fairly mediocre and basic stuff compared to others on here. Cheers chaps  :bye:  :good:

Anyhoo.

In between emulsioning and being a dads taxi service to and from Coventry, I managed to sneak some modelling in this weekend.

A brief description of activities follows:

• Sanding back primed hardstanding and applying a further coat
  • Adding a buffer stop to one of the dead end roads. 
  • Clean and hoover track/baseboards/Fiddle Yard
  • Fit additional support bracing in between existing platform framework to provide a better base for the platform tops and lighting
  • Take delivery and fit platform tops
  • Fit platform lighting
  • Burn myself with hot glue and get it stuck in beard, resulting in cutting offending glue out and having a bare patch. Genius. :swoon:

A few pics. 

attachicon.gif47749 1.jpg

attachicon.gif47749 2.jpg

attachicon.gif47749 3.jpg

attachicon.gif47749 4.jpg

attachicon.gif47749 5.jpg

attachicon.gif47749 6.jpg

attachicon.gif08661.jpg

attachicon.gif08661 2.jpg

attachicon.gif56032 1.jpg

attachicon.gif56032 2.jpg

attachicon.gifTTB 1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Hi trev like the platform and lights more great work as always  :)

47761 seemed  in good form on my trip out. I found a few pics, sorry about the quality I just took a few digital pics. Brother driving, running round at Bournemouth.

Cheers Peter. 

Good morning Peter,

Those are great memories!  :good:  Thanks for sharing them. 

I really miss the 1990's, with many classes in their final years, still plenty of traction variety instead of a constant procession of sheds or heritage stuff on specials or unit moves.

I have a particular penchant for 47's with non standard looks, add-ons and quirky features. Take for instance 761 with its freight style oval "square edge" type buffers, dual brake (unusual for a parcels sector/RES loco to not have had its exhausters isolated and vac bags/pwk removed) - proper job!

(I know its a bit of a rose tinted view and drivers would probably say otherwise, working 12 hours in draughty, noisy, rattly cabs held together with duct tape (especially if a BS allox heap!)) but its a view us enthusiasts are wholly entitled to I suppose if you think about it anything other than ultra-modern day layouts are based solely on memories and the use of said rose tinted specs!

Cheers for popping by :good:

Edited by big T
  • Like 1

I decided to try and add some scenic detail to the nearest station road to the baseboard edge (which will be platform 1 eventually).

I have a few sheets on stick on war-game type grass tufts that I got off Ebay and wanted to put them to use, albeit fairly sparingly, combined with a paint mix of 3 or 4 of my sludgiest, nastiest colours and scatter material. 

There were a few areas of ballast that I missed with my initial pass with the airbrush and these got treated to paint too.

I also added further grime to the line-side S & T trunking adjacent. Typical with me I had a bright idea a few days back as regards using a couple of relay cabinets that I had spare, but can I find them now? no. I turned the garage upside down, and found a box of Kadees I didn't know I had, a tin of brake dust paint, and some 12mm metal wheels which will be very useful. But no relay cabinets.

So you may notice a rebate in the ballast with no cabinets. Oh well. Ill order them today.

I also broke out a pack of Wills point levers/small ground frames that I've had for ages and not done anything with. I have a two lever frame which is suitable for my 3 way point, however I didn't particularly like the raised platform style of how the base is moulded, so I filed that off to make a very thin base more suitable for mounting on the hardstanding which makes more aesthetic sense. This will be primed and painted.

I also installed 2 of my Express Models stopblock red L.E.D.'s. the riser poles for these will get my hairspray and weathering powder rust application to take the edge off their smooth grey finish.

I also have some scratchbuilt point levers made by my friend Dave which will be primed, painted and installed over the next week or so. He is amazing with plasticard and was the chap who built my bridge. Top geezer.

Anyhoo I have a few ideas as regards clutter and mess and grime and filth and stuff for the platform viewing side, and hopefully I can do some of these tonight.

Does anyone make a convincing 4mm pushbike?

Pics from last night: :)

post-7156-0-72545900-1492671381_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-52222800-1492671402_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-76702600-1492671414_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-79533400-1492671427_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-76872900-1492671441_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-67753400-1492671455_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-08423600-1492671468_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-36661200-1492671485_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-17200900-1492671497_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-20607400-1492671523_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-76119900-1492671537_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-46922900-1492671550_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-71625300-1492671566_thumb.jpg

Thank you for looking as always comments very welcome! 

Cheers

P.s. In case you are wondering, the timber edge to the baseboard on the viewing side will be rubbed down, primed and painted! :)

Edited by big T
  • Like 6

More nice detailing work Trev,

The day out with 47761 was as late as 2003. I think it was one f the last class 47s to work an EWS train down that way.

I think I may be a few years older than you as my bashing days were in the late 80s. Back then I was not a fan of the dreaded Duff as they used to turn up on trains book for other motive power. It wasn't really until I started on the railway at Eastleigh East Yard in 89 then later the depot that I got to know the class 47s. I was a Shunter and 47s were booked power for most things. From my experience they gave little trouble and although most drivers preffered the class 33s they liked the class 47s. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Looking great Trev

Are you going to Sutton Coldfield show over the w/e?

Hello matey

I wasn't aware it was on - I have heard its a great show?

Ill have to find a link to it.

Hows you?! - we are still going to have to get together!  :imsohappy:

Cheers