Hi Trev,

Had these two last month. 

Could be, either way the bit that joins the motors is the bit that slips.

Fiddleyard is coming on well. Llanbourne has a few 3 ways in the fiddleyard they seem to work quite well.

Cheers Peter.

Phwoar Mrs!

A right pair of nosepeds there!

Classic traction Peter!! 

Thank you. Hopefully it should be properly wired this weekend and all soldered up nicely.

Edited by big T

• RMweb Gold

I had a delivery of track and points from Neil Mason which arrived on Wednesday afternoon destined for the fiddle yard. (Thanks Neil mate  :good:  :good: )

I spent last night trying to get the design right which would in effect give the most space which would ultimately determine train length.

As the platforms can easily accommodate a loco and 4 x mk1's, it makes sense that the fiddle yard should be capable of holding this length of train.

I think I am nearly there, but I think I need a couple more 3 ways which will open up the space no end. (Im a fan of 3 way turnouts for smaller layouts)

I spent last night fiddling about basically, but managed to get some PCB laid and track soldered to cover board joints.

Pictures of the first train in:

attachicon.gifFY1.jpg

attachicon.gifFY2.jpg

attachicon.gifFY3.jpg

Hopefully I can get a bit more done Sunday  :D

Thanks for looking

Trev :)

That's looking good Trev but I'm not sure i should ask why there is an S10 respirator in the background I hated them things in the gas chamber.

Cheers 

Colin

That's looking good Trev but I'm not sure i should ask why there is an S10 respirator in the background I hated them things in the gas chamber.

Cheers

Colin

Perhap it's for Mrs Trev for the morning after Trev has been out for beers and curry. HaHaHa

Also Colin, no trundling around on the Cov Nuneaton shuttle on Saturday as I wil be chasing you down with the 59. Lol!!

Edited by Marcus 37

• RMweb Gold

Perhap it's for Mrs Trev for the morning after Trev has been out for beers and curry. HaHaHa

Also Colin, no trundling around on the Cov Nuneaton shuttle on Saturday as I wil be chasing you down with the 59. Lol

Sorry I'm long weekend but all being well I'll be at Coventry Arena station with the camera I'll give you a wave  :good:  :sarcastichand:

• Like 2

Cheers 

Colin

Hi Col,

I got the S10 as the last time I did some weathering, my eyes hurt like hell afterwards. 

I got a new filter for it too and tried it out when cutting some PCB recently (PCB really stinks when you cut it!)

Bingo! no smell.

So It was a worthwhile investment!  :good:  :good:

Also Colin, no trundling around on the Cov Nuneaton shuttle on Saturday as I wil be chasing you down with the 59. Lol!!

Hi Marcus!

Thats not a bad idea mate - things can get a little urgent after a decent ruby lol!

Me and the boy came out for your Cov-Nuneaton jollies on Saturday (Jim gave me the heads up)

However we didnt do too well and as you were 14 and 19 early on some of the trips, we lucked out, so we gave up and went home to the warmth of a fire and central heating!!

I did see Colin got a shot off at the Arena station.

Ive had a busy weekend what with having a bad session of sciatic pain, and pushing it too hard trying to track down 59003 on route learning on the Cov-Nuneaton branch (and failing miserably thanks to what I imagine to be the signallers not reporting on trust and some of the runs being up to 19 mins early!). Early to home having dropped the boy off in Cov for work then an afternoon and evening spent with heat packs on. Not good.

With the pain subsiding a little I managed to get the garage mildly above freezing yesterday, I spent a few hours mocking up the track and pointwork to the fiddle yard.

I will then disassemble it all and hardwire the points, and add droppers before wiring it all back onto the bus and adding quick release connectors at the joint between the baseboards.

I will also paint the deck of the fiddle yard as its a bit scruffy and bears the scars of previous incarnations.

post-7156-0-07938100-1479715183_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-47731800-1479715196_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-00257700-1479715211_thumb.jpg

As is typical with me, I ran out of fishplates. Great. So the tracks from the WRD road are only partially complete. Well done me.

Oh well...

Cheers

Trev

Edited by big T
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I wish I had kept my respirator now didn't think about using it when spraying and when I use butanon for putting plastic kits together as I tend to come out of the spare room a bit light headed  :laugh:  :laugh:

The fiddle yard is looking good and a fine selection of loco's too.

Colin

I wish I had kept my respirator now didn't think about using it when spraying and when I use butanon for putting plastic kits together as I tend to come out of the spare room a bit light headed  :laugh:  :laugh:

The fiddle yard is looking good and a fine selection of loco's too.

Colin

Cheers Col,

Not heard of Butanon mate but it sounds dangerous!  :O

there are loads of 2nd hand respirators on Ebay.

My brother had one years ago with an NBC suit.

Edited by big T

Sorry about Saturday mate. The signaller kept pulling off the signals so we kept going. Sod's law though, we were held to time on the last run so no early finish.

Fiddle yards coming along nicely I see. Time for a serious operating session once it's all completed.

Cheers

Marcus

• RMweb Gold

Sorry about Saturday mate. The signaller kept pulling off the signals so we kept going. Sod's law though, we were held to time on the last run so no early finish.

Fiddle yards coming along nicely I see. Time for a serious operating session once it's all completed.

Cheers

Marcus

I managed to grab a shot on your last trip back from Coventry Yard at the Arena station as I had just missed you by seconds on your way to Coventry it wasn't a bad shot but the weather was awful.

Col 

• Like 1

I managed to grab a shot on your last trip back from Coventry Yard at the Arena station as I had just missed you by seconds on your way to Coventry it wasn't a bad shot but the weather was awful.

Col 

You're right there Colin. The weather has been horrendous all weekend and still is now!!

There's a couple of shots over on my PDW thread of her sat in Cov Yard. That's about all I took as the weather was so glum.

Would like to see the picture you got at Arena station though.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1

Cheers

Marcus

Its ok matey i know its not your fault, I was gutted as I missed you at Hawkesbury Lane and Coundon Road for a phot! I was in such a tizz I went to my mums and had a cuppa. Indeed I recieved a text giving heads up but by that time I was sulking with my tea in hand by the fire lol!

My lad managed to sneak a shot of Coundon Road......

Yes matey. almost there. I keep threatening to go to B & Q for some sandpaper and emulsion for the backscene too!

You are 1000% welcome to come and have a go one day too! (I know were about 40 odd mins away from each other as the crow flies!)

Cheers mate

PS

Is Nuneaton signalled from the NMC at SY now? if so they need to update trust quicker haha!!!! 

Edited by big T

Last night was spent soldering turnouts.

Generally I use Insulfrog and solder across the co-joining rails to provide continuity, so this was last nights main theme.

I managed to do all turnouts for the fiddle yard, and temporarily provided some bridging wires from the adjacent baseboard.

These will be kept in place until I install the bus cable at the weekend.

Once I had finished burning my fingers, I removed the track and I quickly sanded and cleaned the surface of the baseboard, swept it and painted it. 

I have a tin of dark brown emulsion which is my general preferred paint for baseboards. Its a bit close to G***t W******n brown for my liking, but its good for a base colour and goes on really well giving a nice finish so I put that to one side! Shudder! 

After the emulsion had dried (only took 20 mins in my toasty warm garage) I refitted the turnouts and track.

I suddenly had a thought. The platforms were designed to take 4 coaches and a loco, and the realisation took hold that the fiddle yard wouldn't be big enough for say 3 mk1's, a brake and a loco. 

I got some Reggie Rail Mk1's out and lo! Its not flippin' big enough!  

Either I compromise and run 3 coaches and a loco (don't really fancy this), or i'll have to extend the fiddle yard by at lest another foot. This will be ok at shows but not at home, due to the layout just (within 1") fitting into my garage. 

I could get the garage extended I suppose......?!

Anyhoo, it all works, so I need to add droppers to the straight bits, and link the whole lot up.

We should be cooking on gas then. 

Here are a couple of very poor photos from last night. New lighting will be installed to the garage in the form of 2 x 5' twins which I hope to get at the end of the week. Just need to get someone to fit them........

post-7156-0-56661400-1479974404_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-91918400-1479974422_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-12528600-1479974440_thumb.jpg

Thanks for dropping in!

• Like 6

Don't you just hate compromising consists, I'm doing it all the time on my little layout......but I don't like doing it :)

Having said that it looks like it's all coming together nicely :sungum:

I do!  I was praying for some additional coach length - I don't really want 3 coaches and a loco :(

Thanks very much. Its getting there!

I'd put some foam at bufferbeam height on the wall, cos you know one day, you may have a ' switch pigs ' and drive your pride and joy at it !

I would do if there wasn't a board going on the end, plus the wall is 3/8" off the edge of the baseboard!!!

Thank you anyway!

• Like 1