What are the new Class 70's called?

alcazar

In my day, they'd be called General Electric Type 5s.............or are they Type 6s?

Ah come on..........even back as far as 1963, spotters at Doncaster referred to the newly emerging Deltics as "Bombers" due to the engine noise, and we ALWAYS called all diesel shunters "bashers".

Ugly? Plugs? Fuglys? I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder... I don't think they look bad from the front - indeed it's more the livery that makes it looks odd and "difficult"

post-6899-126817044861.jpg

Here's 70003 working 4Z70 Rugeley - Stoke Gifford coming out of Wickwar tunnel today from http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/9745-a-bit-of-variety-around-bristol/

cheers

jo

will these come through Derby if they are working on the Lawley to Felixstowe liner? if so what time does that roughly pass through Derby usually, i still aint seen one of these. Not really into the modern scene but when a new class comes along i like to see one.

cheers bry

will these come through Derby if they are working on the Lawley to Felixstowe liner? if so what time does that roughly pass through Derby usually, i still aint seen one of these. Not really into the modern scene but when a new class comes along i like to see one.

cheers bry

I'd have thought this heads East from Water Orton rather than North to be honest, making for Nuneaton....

....apart from 'Class 70' :P

Yup, call them a class 70, saves all the confusion. If anyone approached a professional railwayman and started wittering on about skips, sheds, tugs or whatever they'd probably get something akin to a blank stare in return. It's excusable if your talking about the likes of Westerns, I suppose, but I'd still prefer they were known as 'thousands'. And 9Fs are 'ninety-twos' by the way. Slight Western bias, but you know what I'm getting at - the nicknames are for overgrown platform-enders.. B)

Yup, call them a class 70, saves all the confusion. If anyone approached a professional railwayman and started wittering on about skips, sheds, tugs or whatever they'd probably get something akin to a blank stare in return. It's excusable if your talking about the likes of Westerns, I suppose, but I'd still prefer they were known as 'thousands'. And 9Fs are 'ninety-twos' by the way. Slight Western bias, but you know what I'm getting at - the nicknames are for overgrown platform-enders.. B)

Hmmmmm. Steam days? Streaks, semis, the unnamed streak, spam cans, terriers, coffee pots, charlies, pugs, pates, jubes, black 5's, crabs, dubbies, jintys? Should I go on?

cheers bry

Nope sadly they won't! ( I wish they did then they would go past me)

LS - Felixstowe will go via Washwood Heath, Water Orton, Nuneaton, then WCML.

The next batch will be over here later on this year supposedly.

Apparently they are quite hellfire, quick and powerful with good brakes (especially when in dyanamic).

Archived