What are the new Class 70's called?

alcazar

We have sheds, freds, skips etc, but what ARE the new Class 70's clalled? I've seen them referred to as "Beasts", but I'd have thought that "Orvilles" would be better. The face is certainly comical, rather than beastly.:rolleyes:

• RMweb Premium

There are 6 in the country and when they are reliable the next 6 will be built. 001 is working regularly between lawley Street and Felixstowe. the others are doing Avonmouth to Rugeley and Ellsemere Port to Fiddlers Ferry. They tend to stable at Lawley St, Stoke Gifford and Basford hall. For up to date info join GEGEN at Yahoo Groups.

Cheers

Jamie

'Predators' is the most common nickname I've come across so far amongst drivers trained on them. Although they're growing on me, I can't help thinking how much better they'd look head on if they had split windscreens and a 'peak' to the cab roof at each end.... wink.gif

Nidge wink.gif

They tend to stable at Lawley St, Stoke Gifford and Basford hall.

Sorry, but can anyone point me at where these three locations ARE? Stoke Gifford, multimap might find, but the other two?

Apologies to those knowledgeable people who know, the other side of the country is a mystery to me.

Ah...thankyou, I THOUGHT I recognised the Lawley Street, but Multimap turned up nowt.:rolleyes:

Can the locos be seen anywhere near Stoke on Trent this Saturday/Sunday?Has to be preferable to trawling the pottery factory shops with the wife.

Why not call them Hummers or Humvee's ?

After all, they were ""designed"" in America, and are absolutely plug ugly. Under the skin they are more than likeley bloody good locos, but does it cost that much to design a decent cab / front end. ? The 66's & 67's are no great lookers either. Not even modern looking, just ugly boxes. Not seen a 70 in reality yet though - will they ever run north thru Wigan on the WCML?

A fleet of Kestrels (body & cab design with modern "innards") would have pleased many.

"Grottle" might be another suitable 70 nickname !!

Brit15

I'll join the radical thinkers here and make a request that these locos are referred to simply as 'class 70s' and this enthusiast obsession with manufactured names doesn't apply to these locos (and any subsequent locos either).

Incidentally those crash locking devices (can't recall the name but hopefully you know what I mean) are nothing new either. They apparently were pioneered by the GCR in 1915- this link hopefully will take you to a picture of said devices.

Archived