Cheers Gents, thanks for the information.

Regards

I am much obliged to my gentleman's gentleman for researching my archive and posting the information you needed; he does try to give satisfaction and probably eats lots of fish to keep his memory bright. .

• RMweb Gold

Tried them. Unimpressive, especially for the price.

Thanks for that.

You have saved me wasting some money on getting some samples.

I must admit that I really fancy making Simon's finger slicer  bored (as in drilled, not uninterested!) block with a razor blade inserted.

I am much obliged to my gentleman's gentleman for researching my archive and posting the information you needed; he does try to give satisfaction and probably eats lots of fish to keep his memory bright. .

It's fairly straightforward when you realise that the original author would not use a phrase such as 'rocking axel' (sic). A search on the Cwm Bach thread for 'compensation' took seconds to find the required article.

Well at least daifly it was sufficient for you to understand what I was after. 

I knew it was there somewhere and that I was probably not using the correct search wording but I did include axle in the search and that didn't bring it up either.

Edited by Barnaby

Well at least daifly it was sufficient for you to understand what I was after. 

I knew it was there somewhere and that I was probably not using the correct search wording but I did include axel in the search and that didn't bring it up either.

Using the correct spelling of 'axle' would be a step in the right direction!

Dave

Edited by daifly

Yes it would and if you look at the timings of our last posts you will see I had spotted that error and corrected it just as you were replying. However it does exist also in my first post too so it is possible I did use that spelling in my searching.

• Like 1

I found this little scene in a cupboard while searching for some item I bought for railway work and whose location has been  forgotten. I made when I was 15 and it is about 15-20 years too early for Tonfanau Camp. What's more, I don't think the nearby flesh pot of Towyn (Tywyn) was this rough on a Saturday night. It certainly wasn't in December 1980  when I was at the Joint Services Mountaineering Training Centre for the Unit Expedition Leaders' Course for which we were ordered to volunteer during our Christmas leave from Sandhurst.

Meanwhile, work on Tonfanau Camp has slowed a little while I experiment with ground surfaces and work on the Minerva 57XX/8750 0-6-0PT.

Regards,

Chris

post-13142-0-62496700-1492083273_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

I found this little scene in a cupboard while searching for some item I bought for railway work and whose location has been  forgotten. I made when I was 15 and it is about 15-20 years too early for Tonfanau Camp. What's more, I don't think the nearby flesh pot of Towyn (Tywyn) was this rough on a Saturday night. It certainly wasn't in December 1980  when I was at the Joint Services Mountaineering Training Centre for the Unit Expedition Leaders' Course for which we were ordered to volunteer during our Christmas leave from Sandhurst.

Meanwhile, work on Tonfanau Camp has slowed a little while I experiment with ground surfaces and work on the Minerva 57XX/8750 0-6-0PT.

Regards,

Chris

Pretty sure you are correct about Towyn.  Certainly by 1980, the use of grenades in the town centre after 19:00 was frowned upon :no:

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I have started work on ground dressings. around Jimmy's Camp I want to simulate a rather rough parking space. The covering here is chinchilla dust that has been laid on the cheapest and gloopiest non-drip medium grey gloss paint that I could find at the local branch of a rather well known DIY chain that is headquartered in Chandler's Ford. The staff seemed rather non-plussed, even slightly offended,  when I asked for their cheapest and nastiest paint, but it was adhesive rather than covering qualities that I was seeking. Using a hard object I smoothed down wheel tracks. I think the chinchilla dust, which is more like a very fine gravel, has potential. When I do the goods yard I will probably add some real coal ash and a little powder paint, but first I need to replenish my supply of ash and fortunately the Watercress Line is only about 20 minutes from here. 

I have still not found a satisfactory solution for ashphalt. Gordon Gravett's method of sprinkling talcum powder onto grey gloss paint has been a complete failure.

Regards,

CK

post-13142-0-03746300-1493391922_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-26029100-1493391924_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Hello Chris.

Just thinking about the sprinkle the powder on top like GG does.

Have you tried mixing it in with the paint then painting it on?  Some playing about with paint to powder ratio might find the mix needed.

Reason; the sprinkle seems to make the surface look too raised whereas if it was all mixed & possibly gently warmed it may give you the surface your aiming for.

Best

Hello Chris.

Just thinking about the sprinkle the powder on top like GG does.

Have you tried mixing it in with the paint then painting it on?  Some playing about with paint to powder ratio might find the mix needed.

Reason; the sprinkle seems to make the surface look too raised whereas if it was all mixed & possibly gently warmed it may give you the surface your aiming for.

Best

I've tried that too and it hasn't worked for me. The platform surface on Cwm Bach is made from sheets of "wet and dry" paper that are painted. I'm pleased with the effect, but the problem then becomes hiding the join lines between the sheets.

post-13142-0-22685300-1493396988_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Well Chris if the sandpaper is acceptable ie grain to surface size is good why don't you make your own using some similar sized grains?  Might be best to lay the grains first mist some adhesive to fix then paint over and weather.

Sandpaper was first called glass paper and can be made of various materials, for example aluminum oxide, silicon oxide and chromium oxide, maybe these will give you what you want if obtainable.

Looking at the talc version above I think it is too fine and clumped together maybe a more grainy sand would do it.

Regards

EDIT. Jewellers Grit.

http://www.littlegemsrockshop.co.uk/acatalog/Grit-for-Rough-Rock-Tumbling.html

Edited by Barnaby

I use standard sheet cork for platform surfaces then sand it down (electric sander) until it is level with the edging slabs. When sprayed, the texture looks okay....at least in 4mm. It would suit a tar surface in 7mm.

Edited by coachmann

I've tried that too and it hasn't worked for me. The platform surface on Cwm Bach is made from sheets of "wet and dry" paper that are painted. I'm pleased with the effect, but the problem then becomes hiding the join lines between the sheets.

You can get sandpaper/glasspaper or whatever in rolls. It's what I used on the last platform I built, in 4mm, but should be plenty long enough for a mainline platform in O gauge.

Various grades of various types of sandpaper rolls (115mm wide by 10metre length fro, toolstation and elsewhere from £1.77 a roll. If you know of a carpentry shop or furniture maker, the will use rolls/belts up to a few metres wide, and you may be able to scrounge a used one. A bit coarser, but the sheets they use in the bottom of budgie cages (used not necessarily recommended in that case!)

This is nothing to do with Tonfanau Camp, but I popped up to Didcot yesterday for the GWS Gala Day. Five locomotives were in steam and it was quite a sight seeing 6023 King Edward II hauling a train of two coaches. The hopeless effort at concealing the BR crest decal on 1466 and varying shades of green are notable.

post-13142-0-50451600-1493586310_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-55080900-1493586319_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-46981900-1493586324_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-98160400-1493586372_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-84330800-1493586576_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

That's a place I must visit Chris and if I'm right there is a large shopping complex nearby too which will give my wife some enjoyment too. 

I must say all those locomotives look well loved.

Regards

Edited by Barnaby

Parking at Didcot is signposted to an expensive station car park. Volunteers park for free at the shopping centre but must move their cars every two hours. It is well worth a visit and I got the necessary photos of their turntable when building Midland Railway Centre's kit

4144 looks neat. No doubt a Heljan one will be appearing at Torfanau Camp...?

........And I know where you can get a nice 14XX in BR black too..... :biggrin_mini2:

Sadly the large Prairies didn't make it along the Cambrian Coast, suspect they were too heavy. Possibly made it to Barmouth via Dolgellau but no further.

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Young

Parking at Didcot is signposted to an expensive station car park. Volunteers park for free at the shopping centre but must move their cars every two hours. It is well worth a visit and I got the necessary photos of their turntable when building Midland Railway Centre's kit

Parking in the station car park is expensive on weekdays when one is competing with London commuters. The charge is £3.95 for the day at weekends.

Sadly the large Prairies didn't make it along the Cambrian Coast, suspect they were too heavy. Possibly made it to Barmouth via Dolgellau but no further.

Andrew

I have not seen photos of the large prairie tank on the Cambrian coast line or from Ruabon to Barmouth Junction. I might invest in the Heljan model as I can justify it for South Wales and Cwm Bach.