Chris

Where did you get the doorknob for that signal box or did you make it. I need a couple for my boxes and so far my efforts have failed!

Paul R

Paul,

The door knob on Tonfanau Camp Signal Box was supplied with the Peco kit that formed the basis of the model. However, my usual method for making door knobs is to use  short 7mm scale turned brass handrail knobs and fill them with solder. A few gentle strokes with a needle file will take of any bumps and a final rub down with some wet-and-dry abrasive paper finishes the job, which is quicker to do than to describe. The attached picture of one of the other buikldings destined for Tonfanau Camp station hopefully shows the result.

Regards,

Chris

post-13142-0-16452700-1486497821_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

It is still too cold to be out in the garage so the wiring of Tonfanau Camp is still on hold. Following on from the signal box, I am building the concrete waiting shelter that was provided for the soldiers using Tonfanau station. I am following the prototype, but have shortened the model by two concrete panels. It's a simple build with laminated plasticard and Evergreen strips of various dimensions. The roof will simulate corrugated asbestos. The third shot shows  the full ensemble of buildings for the station, excluding a Gentlemen's convenience still to be built. The real army shelter was not primarily built to provide cover from the elements for waiting soldiers - after all they are paid to be outside in all weathers - but to keep them away from the local civpop, hence its situation at the down end of the platform well away from the other buildings.

As soon as the weather warms up a bit I will finish the wiring and crack on with ballasting the track.

As you were,

Chris

post-13142-0-64196300-1486755798_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-75420900-1486755826.jpg

post-13142-0-06751700-1486755846_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Excellent work on the New Building Chris and the Group huddled together look really neat.

Andy,

Tonfanau station really was a motley collection of small buildings. I'm looking forward to bringing them all together on the model.

Chris

post-13142-0-25527800-1486763417.jpg

• Like 6

At last! The recent burst of mild weather has allowed me to get into the garage and complete the Phase 1 wiring for Tonfanau Camp. Phase 2 will be the military yard when I have built and laid the track and Phase 3 will be the signals. Meanwhile, I am laying an infill of 3mm flooring underlay in they yard to level up the ground with the tops of the sleepers. When complete, I will spray the area and track with a suitable colour and start on the ballasting - can't wait (not). The photograph shows the underlay infill. It's not a very exciting picture, but probably qualifies as a "SlowPhoto" with this new fad for SlowTV.

post-13142-0-35975000-1487262324_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Groundwork progresses at Tonfanau Camp. The infill for the BR yard has been laid and the track sprayed with Halfords aerosol camouflage brown, which it rather redundantly claims is ultra matt; it is. The rails were carefully cleaned with a J-Cloth and cellulose thinners and the points thrown several times while the paint dried. 

MONTY, the Army's Fowler diesel shunter, is messing around in the BR sidings. I'm trying to find some buckshee Code 100 flat-bottom rail for the Army's sidings. It's typical that I have none at home, but I haven't used Code 100 since I converted to Code 75 for 00 in 1972. Ballast goes in next and when it is finished I expect the scenery to progress quite quickly.

Stand by for further sitreps.

Chris

post-13142-0-54208900-1487424090_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-05687400-1487424092_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-36280000-1487424103_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

Groundwork progresses at Tonfanau Camp. The infill for the BR yard has been laid and the track sprayed with Halfords aerosol camouflage brown, which it rather redundantly claims is ultra matt; it is.

Chris

That`s strange, i`ve used the same for my track and as a base coat before i weathered my wagon`s,and their green too .And found it does exactly what is say`s on the can...... :scratchhead:

Brian.

Chris I have some areas to raise up to sleeper height and several yards of floor foam underlay.  From what you say above you just stick it down and spray away.

I have used it under track and ballasted on top but never left it just bare.  In the end I decided to lay the track straight onto the baseboard, hence the left over underlay..

Do you do any texture tweaking to its surface apart from the usual yard debris?

Also as the surface is foam have you found that tough enough and will stand up to general layout use.  I expect this is not the first time you have done this so answering my own question "probably yes".

Regards

Edited by Barnaby

Chris

Great modelling!  Having just read and then scanned all 10 pages I feel I have caught up with something rather special.  Like so many others I spent some of my youth on the old Cambrian, both at Oswestry and Porthmadog and now my wife has fallen for the area in a big way so I have been revisiting old haunts while renovating a small cottage.

A recent effort to travel the line from Birmingham International to Port ended up at Mach with the Barmouth Bridge closed due to a fire caused by welding, otherwise I would have passed by Tonfanau.  The windswept nature of the coastline is indeed different from most Welsh scenes.  I am adding this late comment to insure I see progress in the future.  I am learning a lot about 7mm scale from the likes of you!

Paul

Chris I have some areas to raise up to sleeper height and several yards of floor foam underlay.  From what you say above you just stick it down and spray away.

I have used it under track and ballasted on top but never left it just bare.  In the end I decided to lay the track straight onto the baseboard, hence the left over underlay..

Do you do any texture tweaking to its surface apart from the usual yard debris?

Also as the surface is foam have you found that tough enough and will stand up to general layout use.  I expect this is not the first time you have done this so answering my own question "probably yes".

Regards

The underlay infill will be treated scenically. For the yard area I will paint it with a lightish gloss grey paint and sprinkle the surface with a combination of ash (best Welsh anthracite from my late parents' central heating boiler in this case) and Chinchilla dust a la Gordon Gravett. Weeds, rough grass and other debris will follow.  As the layout is is set in Wales, I will embed some puddles in the yard. I don't expect any problems with the foam and slight depressions that may be caused by inadvertently leaning on it tends to enhance the effect. For the ash ballast in the sidings, I will use Steve Fay's blend that looks so realistic on his Canton layout.

Regards,

Chris

• Like 2

Chris

Great modelling!  Having just read and then scanned all 10 pages I feel I have caught up with something rather special.  Like so many others I spent some of my youth on the old Cambrian, both at Oswestry and Porthmadog and now my wife has fallen for the area in a big way so I have been revisiting old haunts while renovating a small cottage.

A recent effort to travel the line from Birmingham International to Port ended up at Mach with the Barmouth Bridge closed due to a fire caused by welding, otherwise I would have passed by Tonfanau.  The windswept nature of the coastline is indeed different from most Welsh scenes.  I am adding this late comment to insure I see progress in the future.  I am learning a lot about 7mm scale from the likes of you!

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for the kind remarks. My other Welsh layout is Cwm Bach based on the South Wales Valleys and my RMWeb forum is here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/80426-cwm-bach-a-south-wales-branch-line/ Although I am of Anglo-Italian-German descent with, to the best of my knowledge, not a drop of Welsh blood in my veins, I love Wales and the railway history of the principality; it has been for many decades a rich source of inspiration for my modelling.

Regards,

Chris

• Like 2

The army waiting shelter for Tonfanau Camp station is completed. The shelter was finished with Humbrol enamel Matt 34 lightened with a little matt white. The weathering was a simple wash of heavily thinned matt enamel black paint, but I think gives a satisfatory appearance of weathered concrete. One of the photos shows a little detail where I carved the corner of the building to expose the reinforcing rod, which is simply a very short length of stretched sprue. I have installed an ex-GWR bench that the squaddies have liberated from the Western Region in order to provide a little comfort, while some posters forlornly attempt to attract them to the genteel pleasures of the Welsh coast and Shrewsbury. The lamp is from the Ratio 4mm scale station lamp pack mounted on a length of 0.9mm brass wire.

So now the ORs from Tonfanau Camp can shelter from the howling wind and horizontal rain that frequently lashes the area in winter, enabling them to stay kempt and shevilled, and keeping the Regimental Sergeant Major if not exactly gruntled, somewhat less than disgruntled.

Stand easy.

Chris

post-13142-0-01807200-1487884720_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-89884400-1487884728.jpg

post-13142-0-10636900-1487884737_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-29248900-1487884746_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-14445100-1487885900.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Groundwork progresses at Tonfanau Camp. The infill for the BR yard has been laid and the track sprayed with Halfords aerosol camouflage brown, which it rather redundantly claims is ultra matt; it is. The rails were carefully cleaned with a J-Cloth and cellulose thinners and the points thrown several times while the paint dried. 

Looking good Chris,  

Love what you've done with the Fowler diesel conversion.  I seem to recall reading some notes you'd done on that on an earlier thread somewhere? Must go and find it.

Just one query, if its camouflage brown how did you find the track after painting in order to clean it with a J-Cloth???  :scratchhead: Rather suggest that its not quite as camouflage as it should be for an army camp!! :). (Sorry couldnt resist!)

Rich

Looking good Chris,  

Love what you've done with the Fowler diesel conversion.  I seem to recall reading some notes you'd done on that on an earlier thread somewhere? Must go and find it.

Just one query, if its camouflage brown how did you find the track after painting in order to clean it with a J-Cloth???  :scratchhead: Rather suggest that its not quite as camouflage as it should be for an army camp!! :). (Sorry couldnt resist!)

Rich

The camouflage remark reminds of my time as a young subaltern officer with The Staffordshire Regiment when we were garrison battalion in Gibraltar from 1981-83. When one of Her Majesty's Ships was visiting the naval base we and the ship would host reciprocal cocktail parties in the mess and on board the ship. When we went aboard, the officers of the Royal Navy would amuse themselves by "accidently" bumping into us and then apologise profusely, claiming they didn't see us because the temperate DPM camouflage scheme of our tropical combats blended in so well with the light battleship grey colour scheme of the ship. Well, I suppose one can get rather bored during weeks at sea.

CK

• RMweb Gold

The army waiting shelter for Tonfanau Camp station is completed. The shelter was finished with Humbrol enamel Matt 34 lightened with a little matt white. The weathering was a simple wash of heavily thinned matt enamel black paint, but I think gives a satisfatory appearance of weathered concrete. One of the photos shows a little detail where I carved the corner of the building to expose the reinforcing rod, which is simply a very short length of stretched sprue. I have installed an ex-GWR bench that the squaddies have liberated from the Western Region in order to provide a little comfort, while some posters forlornly attempt to attract them to the genteel pleasures of the Welsh coast and Shrewsbury. The lamp is from the Ratio 4mm scale station lamp pack mounted on a length of 0.9mm brass wire.

So now the ORs from Tonfanau Camp can shelter from the howling wind and horizontal rain that frequently lashes the area in winter, enabling them to stay kempt and shevilled, and keeping the Regimental Sergeant Major if not exactly gruntled, somewhat less than disgruntled.

Stand easy.

Chris

Such a shelter will invariably smell of pee, but I think we can forego that bit of authenticity..................Unless you are going to exhibit it!

Such a shelter will invariably smell of pee, but I think we can forego that bit of authenticity..................Unless you are going to exhibit it!

There is an old British Army maxim that states that there are two types of officers, "Those who pee in the wash basin in their bunk in the mess...and those who tell lies."

• Like 1

Concurrently with the ballasting of the track, I have started on the groundwork. The area shown is at the up end of the station and yard, where a road crosses the line to Tonfanau quarry in the foreground and the main Cambrian Coast line in the background. This road links Tonfanau Camp with the ranges along the beach. The space behind the army Landrover will be filled with a low relief wooden cafe that I expect to be well patronised by the soldiers trying to something better than that on offer from the Army Catering Corps or Andy Capp's Cowboys as they were often known. I can sympathise with them. In The Staffordshire Regiment the soldiers called the food "Conner" and I remember as a newly minted Second Lieutenant visiting the cookhouse as Orderly Officer and having to ask why the food was so named. One of the soldiers obliged me by explaining in a very broad Stoke accent that, "The cooks conner cook it and we conner eat it." From that I was able to deduce the meaning of "Conner Irons".

As an aside, I am after a knackered Ratio GWR 4-wheel coach. It does not need to be a runner as it will serve in a grounded role.

post-13142-0-66002000-1487961017_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-66180700-1487961019_thumb.jpg

• Like 8