7mm Model of Ruston and Hornsby 0-4-0 DM

".... Am I right in thinking that there were more of these? I've seen references to others in the old ED series, in steam days, on the North Eastern Region. .......... "

A small number of RH 88DS locos, numbered 82-87 were purchased by BR (ER / NER) for Departmental duties in the late 1950s. They were a standard design intended for industrial service. The last three were withdrawn in May 1970.

The 'ED' series of Departmental locos was used by BR (LMR) and IIRC were ED1 - ED7 and were of various

John Fowler 0-4-0DM types, the Ruston & Horsnby 88DS and it's smaller brother the 48DS were officially classified as 4WDM.

Brian R

• RMweb Premium

Hmmmm, I was hoping it wasn't going to be Karlgarin AGAIN:rolleyes:

The situation might not be as bad as you think

Copied from this topic http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/7237-karlgarin-models-%3Cspan%20class=

Occasionally someone will post a query about the availability of the former Impetus kit range, often leading to sniping remarks about non-availability or other ill-informed comment.

As I happened to be sat next to Richard McLeish recently at a Christmas lunch I took the opportunity to mention this and elicit his response, which he is more than happy for me to post here to inform those who might want one of the kits of the current situation.

For various reasons, progress on upgrading the kits has not been made as originally intended. However, that does not mean that the kits are not available, just that they remain basically in the form as acquired from the previous owner. As previously stated, a polite enquiry to Richard McLeish at Karlgarin Models may well bring about a positive result, provided that the purchaser is prepared to accept a set of etches from the original master, whitemetal castings from the original patterns, and a copy of the original instruction sheet.

Richard had a stand at that Christmas event, on which were a number of 7mm scale boxed kits for sale.

There were comments later in that thread about the Karlgarin web site not being up to date - -the 'development' page was last updated 12 months ago but it did have this bit of news that might help you

Ruston 88DS March 2009 - new stock of etches to hand

Mike

Mike: that response from Karlgarin was what I had YEARS ago. I asked for a particular model, but nothing was ever forthcoming, just more excuses. He always had that option, but for some reason, if you press him, cannot fulfil. He's always waiting for etches, writing instructions, test building, etc etc.

As I've said before, if you intend buying from him, believe it's available only when you see it;)

Archived