• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, brylonscamel said:

Ooh that is good - the ugly duckling looks rather smart.

I still think your Bachby can her hold her head high in this company !

Hi Bry,

Thanks for the comment, I am happy enough with the conversions that they will still run alongside the newcomer, however the excuse to now model 6123 using my model of 6121 is complete; as far as I know Dapol have no plans to cover this one-off.

I think Dapol have boobed slightly as the roof coloured exhausts lack much definition, whilst the plated original exhaust is picked out (imperfectly) in black.....I would still love to see a photo from above of this area of a 29 to be honest, but no luck so far.

Otherwise I think they have done a cracking job overall.

Cheers,

Martyn.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

I think Dapol have boobed slightly as the roof coloured exhausts lack much definition, whilst the plated original exhaust is picked out (imperfectly) in black.....I would still love to see a photo from above of this area of a 29 to be honest, but no luck so far.

Otherwise I think they have done a cracking job overall.

I wonder if they struggled to find enough archive material on the roof variations? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, brylonscamel said:

I wonder if they struggled to find enough archive material on the roof variations? 

They should have asked Martin...

59 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

I think Dapol have boobed slightly as the roof coloured exhausts lack much definition, whilst the plated original exhaust is picked out (imperfectly) in black.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, brylonscamel said:

It is possible. The only photos I have seen are from a distance such as can be seen (on D6123 ironically, as I was searching images of it) a way down this page:

https://scottishrtt.livejournal.com/14003.html

(Lots of good Scottish steam, through to modern, images in there too by the way). 

The image of 6123 does confirm the exhaust ports are rectangular though, which is something I got wrong, but not too hard to correct thankfully, and I'm glad to have found out that much!

2 hours ago, Regularity said:

They should have asked Martin...

I got the exhaust shape wrong so, happily, they were way ahead there! I do wonder if there was a loss in communication at the Dapol Factory, which copied the 21 paint plan, hence the black plated bit and not black exhaust ports?

20200203_211940.jpg.9e42e2474e7374d8ab6d43b29a0ddee8.jpg

Thanks,

Martyn.

Edited by Signaller69
Edit to add Photo

9 minutes ago, Max Legroom said:

Hi Martyn

Are the lower body panels on the 29 separate parts? It would be nice to have that prototypical ‘hanging at an angle’ look.

Max

Hi Max,

No sadly not. Perhaps scope for etched parts there, as you say they did tend to hang down frequently. Maybe Lazerglaze might be produced at some point too as there is a little prism effect on the model (worst part is the engine room door windows in this respect. The bodyside windows should also be 2 part sliding ones on the 29s I think too, rather than the solid ones provided). There is no roof fan either, but the etched roof and bodyside grilles are exquisite imho, along with the livery application (other than the exhaust area as already mentioned).

I think overall though, it is an excellent model, with a little scope for further work by those who wish to do so.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

https://scottishrtt.livejournal.com/14003.html

(Lots of good Scottish steam, through to modern, images in there too by the way). 

Bonus reply from you Martyn - that webpage is brilliant! Ive seen a few of those in print but plenty are new to me. Probably the most atmospheric photo of the NBL diesels in amongst the beautiful steam loco shots.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

As Crinan is still stored awaiting decorating of the Clubrooms to be completed, I am doing other odd jobs. One has been conversion of my Bachby TTG class 29 (6121) to 6123, the sole disc headcode fitted member of the class. As part of this I have experimented with creating a loose lower panel, by using a fine razor saw to cut vertical joints, then scoring horizontally inside the body so the panel can be gently bent outwards, followed by running Plasticweld along the score line. This worked well, looking better than plasticard panels I think. Almost finished now.

20200321_000020.jpg.c0ca4433be42805e0ff12f9d9073b2b8.jpg

I have also finally started the Peedie Models Clyde Puffer kit which I purchased at Darlington Show last year. Study of prototype photos shows that the bows were generally higher out of the water, and the hull slightly more banana shaped than that provided in the kit, which as supplied more closely resembled a flat river barge. The instructions do refer to raising the bows if desired, which I opted to do using tapering plasticard fixed around a former, to lift the bows about 10mm higher. I decided not to try and curve the hull to more of a banana profile though as this would have involved a lot of cut and shut, filling, filing, sanding and swearing; being resin it could have caused more damage then it was worth, so not worth the hassle I thought.

20200321_173909.jpg.37529a3892daa559232bb378f0c852e2.jpg20200321_173734.jpg.a59cd45e23a96433aa7a0a41bf5d3be8.jpg

Next job will be to fit the decking, more mods required here as it seemingly sits too high around a lip which can be seen towards the stern in the photo. It could do with being around 5mm lower I reckon, to stop crew members falling overboard off Jura, so some trimming and sanding is required. 

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

3 hours ago, brylonscamel said:

... nice job on the panels. A simple solution that's surprisingly effective!

Thanks Brian, from that angle it is quite noticable. I was going to do more but this loco only seems to have had the one loose panel, typical! May use the idea on my other 29s, possibly the Dapol one too......

The Peedie resin Puffer is taking shape now. I'm in 2 minds whether to replace the Bridge with a widened one as per the Vic 32 (although I'm not aiming to reproduce that vessel), just for individuality; hence it is not yet glued in place. Looking closer at photos it seems that generally, the Stern decking was almost level with the hull, with handrails provided around the rear of the vessel (a printed acetate template is provided to assist with producing these, or for use as is), with the decking stepping down around the hold before sloping up gradually towards the bows. Despite slight misgivings about the overall shape, the kit has some nice detail and provides optional Bridge sides with different access door positions, I went with one on the rear. Some of the parts are not quite as square as they could be though, requiring some filing and sanding. The hold will be covered with an appropriate Tarpaulin.

20200322_203032.jpg.83eddcc385ee89f9fa99fb3d61f7903a.jpg20200322_203055.jpg.59024ed6b29eea830436ae1367ec458f.jpg20200322_202926.jpg.e0d166f58ea39d04324e0fd4e7fc62b9.jpg

20200322_204809.jpg.6e7df91214ee5f11fac806078071c191.jpg

I always wonder with this style of Puffer, just how the skipper could see where he was going (or what was ahead) with the funnel largely blocking the view? Agile footwork hopping from one side to the other and much leaning out either side I imagine.....

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Hi Martyn,

I'm puzzled, if the model is accurate, where does the funnel go, as it should block most of the doorway?

Al.

Yes I thought that myself Al. It would be pushing things to say this is an absolute scale model of any Puffer I've seen photos of (including the one it is supposedly based on); that said there was a fair amount of variation. It scales to about 67ft which seems fairly typical though. The funnel is in the correct location (albeit plonked on for the photos rather than fixed in place) but I think the cabin doors should be further back and that the whole Bridge structure should be wider and possibly a tad longer too.

8 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Looking at general images of puffers that funnel does look a tad large.

Regards Lez. 

I agree Lez, I feel it should be angled back just a bit too, which would be difficult with the one supplied (a 3D print I think). I think the rather small wheelhouse makes it look bigger too which doesn't help.

Edited by Signaller69
Add to info.
  • Informative/Useful 1

39 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

You could angle it back by adding a wedge underneath, this would also slope it away from the doors inside the forward part of the wheelhouse.

Yes that is a possibility Stu, or cut the base off at a slight angle maybe.

I wonder actually, if the funnels on these were partly decorative, with a smaller chimney inside them? They all seem to look quite large for such a low powered, presumably fairly small boiler?

• Agree 1