The Nottingham Suburban Railway - NEW Vol 2

Galtee More

A new 2-volume series, entitled The NOTTINGHAM SUBURBAN RAILWAY, by David Birch, is to be published by Book Law Publications. The ertswhile Nottingham Suburban Railway was operated by the GNR and, su bsequently, the LNER and BR (ER) and ran from Trent Lane Junction, on the ex-GNR line from Nottingham to Grantham, to Daybrook on the GNR's 'Back Line from Colwick to Derby Friargate. Passenger services were withdrawn quite early on in the line's history. The line was severed by a German bomb during WW2 and it closed completely post-wa, after a short time being operated as a stub from the 'Back Line' for the remaining goods services,

The books will be launched at the forthcoming NOTTINGHAM East Midlands MODEL RAILWAY EXHIBITION and the author, David Birch, will be on hand to sign copies of his book. The launch will be supported by a display of artefacts, photographs and a section of the part-constructed layout Trent Lane Junction, currently being built by the Nottingham MRS.

• 1 year later...

Is vol2 of the Nottingham Suburban Railway going to appear it was going to be published "next year".

Every time I ask in the Railway Bookshop Chriss has heard nothing about it.

Wondering because this is the kind of book I find fasinating

Laurence

Is vol2 of the Nottingham Suburban Railway going to appear it was going to be published "next year".

Every time I ask in the Railway Bookshop Chriss has heard nothing about it.

Wondering because this is the kind of book I find fasinating

Laurence

Laurence,

I've spoken to David Allen of Book Law Publications this evening. Book Law are, of course, the publishers of this work. Nottingham Suburban Railway Vol 2 will indeed be appearing. It is due to be launched, along with several other books, at the forthcoming NOTTINGHAM East Midlands MODEL RAILWAY EXHIBITION, Saturday, 17 March and Sunday, 18 March 2012. Author David Birch will be signing copies of the new volume (and Vol 1 too if you wish !) on the Sunday of the event.

Ian

Good to see this news but I'm intrigued to see how it can stretch to two whole volumes! The last book on it had barely two pages of meaningful text.

Which book was that?

The one that comes to mind is the RCTS series on the Great Northern in the East Midlands.

Vol 1 may not have been remaindered but they have sold them cheaper than published price at a good few shows.

Yes, that is quite true. At any exhibition that Book Law Publications attend they always offer a 15% discount on all their own publications. This includes recently launched, or launched-at-the-show, volumes !

So Vol 2 of Nottingham Suburban Railway will be launched at the forthcoming Nottingham show and will be offered for sale with a 15% discount. Those who purchase BLP books via mail order should receive a 15% discount voucher against a subsequent purchase.

So the OP has no need to wait for months before purchasing the book. Simples !

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Good to see volume 2 of The Story of The Nottingham Suburban Railway is soon to be in print and will be launched at the East Midlands Model Railway Exhibition. No better place. I hear that the author, David Birch, will be attending both days of the show and will be available, next to the Book Law Book stand, to sign copies of both the first and second volumes of his series of books. I am told that If you have already bought Vol.1 and its not signed, bring it along and he will sign it for you. Although I have not seen a printed copy of the book yet I am informed of the following:-

It is 128 pages long, compared to 96 for volume 1;

The cover you have already seen so enough said there;

The book is fairly unique in that it has a fold out section so that a four page spread of Hayden Reed's print of the NSR and the London Road Low level station all on one single print coould be reproducerd;

The book covers the majority of the operational years of the GNR and LNER from 1889 to 1948;

Many previously unpublished photographs particularly of live steam at St. Ann's Well and Thorneywood Stations are included;

There are a few new photographs from Mike Chapman's collection of the Nottingham Patent Brick Company, the original promoters of the line;

Some photographs of trams, and trolley buses which provided competion for the passenger trains on the NSR especially those of G Atkins.

If Volume 2 is published to the same very high standard that Vol.1 was produced by Booklaw then we are all in for a real treat.

There appears to be so much more, I can't wait to see a finished copy at the show.

It appears that the third and final volume in this series on the NSR is already in draft format, so hopefully it will be available to buy at this same event in 2013.

Archived