East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

On 26/03/2023 at 22:06, Crun said:

multi-storey Porta-cabin

That's not wildly different from the method of construction used for the Novotel in the centre of Southampton. Basically each room in the main block was a prefabricated container and they just slotted them in one next to the other. Perhaps in future all new homes will be constructed in this way too - so much faster than conventional methods.

Yours, Mike.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, KingEdwardII said:

That's not wildly different from the method of construction used for the Novotel in the centre of Southampton. Basically each room in the main block was a prefabricated container and they just slotted them in one next to the other. Perhaps in future all new homes will be constructed in this way too - so much faster than conventional methods.

Yours, Mike.

At the risk of being very boring and off topic, this method of construction is widely used for modern low price hotels, however despite huge pressure from Government over many years it has yet to catch on for other building types including residential. I've worked in public sector real estate and have sat in numerous meetings with various arms of Government trying to force modular construction into development schemes. Modular works for things like cheap hotels as each room is a module and several rooms easily fit on the back of a lorry. They are basically one room with a bathroom moulded in.

When you get into houses, you can't move an entire house (in the UK at least!) and then each room becomes a module and things like connections for power, water and waste throughout become more complex, as well as issues like warranties. Finishes also tend to be basic otherwise you end up back with traditional trades coming in to finish the build which defeats the object. The alternative is larger modules but then factories have to be relatively close to the location of the development site and accessible mainly by motorways/dual carriageways otherwise roads become clogged with wide loads and the cost of transport shoots up and it becomes uneconomic. That means lots of modular factories all over the country, but there is not sufficient demand to justfiy this inital investment. Then of course mortgage companies have to be willing to grant 25 year loans on an untested product......

Modular is a good idea and for certain niches like hotels and short/medium term offices it is excellent, but it won't be replacing traditional construction any time soon.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I see that some EMR trains to/from Lincoln are now using the dive under in their schedule.

e.g. 2K17/2K24, using Platform 7.

Those two services that use dive under and arrive and depart platform 7 have been doing so for over a year.  2K17 Doncaster to Peterborough which then returns but only as far as Lincoln as 2K44.  Why only that service I don't know.  There appears to be no conflicting movements as to why it could not use platform 1 like all the other EMR services on the Joint Line.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

I see that some EMR trains to/from Lincoln are now using the dive under in their schedule.

e.g. 2K17/2K24, using Platform 7.

I'm due to use the dive under on a trip to Huddersfield via York next Wednesday due to engineering works on the ECML. I shall be on an LNER Azuma.

On 10/05/2023 at 17:56, Crun said:

I'm due to use the dive under on a trip to Huddersfield via York next Wednesday due to engineering works on the ECML. I shall be on an LNER Azuma.

Don't miss your train, there are only four LNER heading north from Peterborough in the morning.  Have a good journey👍

2 hours ago, Donington Road said:

Don't miss your train, there are only four LNER heading north from Peterborough in the morning.  Have a good journey👍

Hmm, I am on an afternoon train. I will double check about diversions for that.

1 hour ago, Crun said:

Hmm, I am on an afternoon train. I will double check about diversions for that.

Only two that I can see that stop at York, 13:47 KX to Aberdeen and 17:15 KX to Edinburgh.  Other LNER services that stop at York will be by bus between Peterborough and Doncaster.

Realtime trains.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/gb-nr:PBO/2023-05-17/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

Edited by Donington Road
add link

On 11/05/2023 at 21:43, Donington Road said:

Only two that I can see that stop at York, 13:47 KX to Aberdeen and 17:15 KX to Edinburgh.  Other LNER services that stop at York will be by bus between Peterborough and Doncaster.

Realtime trains.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/gb-nr:PBO/2023-05-17/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

I'm on the 13:47 KX via PBO to York.

Edited by Crun
  • Like 1

Activity around the Cock Lane bridge area, Sunday 14th May:

20230514_151714.jpg

20230514_151735.jpg

Getting ready for work on the ECML this week?

20230514_152151.jpg

20230514_152157.jpg

20230514_152405.jpg

20230514_152411.jpg

Edited by Crun
  • Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...

Progress on the Lloyds Bank building. Sunday May 21st:

20230521_161005.jpg

Post work photographs from Sunday 21st May and the diversion, last week:

20230521_161519.jpg

20230521_161826.jpg

20230521_161848.jpg

Edited by Crun
  • Like 5

On 11/05/2023 at 22:32, Crun said:

I'm on the 13:47 KX via PBO to York.

I made my journey and the LNER Azuma used the old GNGE tracks but not the dive-under.

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Crun said:

I made my journey and the LNER Azuma used the old GNGE tracks but not the dive-under.

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

I like the Ro-rail bus!

Is that a prototype for the next rolling stock for commuters?😄

That's for sight seeing tours for those who unfortunately missed out on a trip down the dive under during last weeks diversions.🙄

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
On 24/05/2023 at 01:16, Donington Road said:

That's for sight seeing tours for those who unfortunately missed out on a trip down the dive under during last weeks diversions.🙄

Do keep your sightseeing tours going, I need something other than the tv to look at all day. Stuck at home for 4 - 5 weeks, probably until the end of June.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, ess1uk said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-65721031

interested to see what they will do about this as ETCS should be along soon anyway 

Railcam UK has the speeds as 50mph on the U&D slows and 105mph on the U&D fasts.

Anybody any more info on actual speeds?

Bit more here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/urgent-safety-advice-022023-overspeeding-through-spital-junction/urgent-safety-advice-022023-overspeeding-through-spital-junction

It's from up fast to up platform 2 or 1

Edited by melmerby
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...