RNAS Glencruitten - Relocating Lenabo

Argos

• RMweb Gold

I'll be helping out on the 2mm Scale Association stand at the Stafford show today. 

If you're also going, come along and say "hello". 

Angus 

Edited by Argos
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

That 21 looks good Angus, could I ask what chassis you have put under it. I’ve been looking at using a spare Farish 24/25 chassis as that gives the correct wheelbase but then needs the body insulating from it. 

Bob

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 29/09/2024 at 07:46, Izzy said:

That 21 looks good Angus, could I ask what chassis you have put under it. I’ve been looking at using a spare Farish 24/25 chassis as that gives the correct wheelbase but then needs the body insulating from it. 

Bob

Hi Bob

It's a class 24 chassis which are freely available at a reasonable price.

Once the skirts are fitted on the class 21 it narrows the body opening quite a bit. I had to mill away a chunk of the chassis to get it to fit. I then lined the body with superglue soaked Rizla paper to provide electrical isolation.

The bogie side frames are butchered Farish commonwealth coach bogies.

Edited by Argos
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Angus. I have several 24’s and am considering using one of them along with perhaps class 20 bogie frames. I did wonder about the turn under of the body and whether that would be a major problem but it seems not going by your experience.

Bob

• Like 1

A note for Argos,  in Autumn 1943 my late Father was a War Artist and Intel. Officer in the RAF, based at Foggia in central Italy. One or two of his paintings now in the Imperial War Museum show the  British WW1 Airship hangars still standing like rusty cathedrals in background.    As for 2024, I've no idea.  Of course a Zeppelin was got from semi retirement by the Germans and sailed the length of the UK's eastern coast on

radio frequencies watch shortly before the start of WW2   I gather we knew it was coming and they gained

little

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Izzy said:

Thanks Angus. I have several 24’s and am considering using one of them along with perhaps class 20 bogie frames. I did wonder about the turn under of the body and whether that would be a major problem but it seems not going by your experience.

Bob

As designed the skirts/turnunders are attached separately to the body. Instead they attach to body base plate.

This gives a step between the body and the skirts which, to my eyes, looks nothing like the real thing.

There are a couple of photos on the Worsley Works website one has the skirts attached directly to the body side and looks much better, hence why I chose that route. I've just ignored the body base plate. With the curving profile the formed body is quite rigid and I don't think it's needed. 

As designed

http://www.worsleyworks.co.uk/Image-Pages/Image_N_Class29.htm

Attached directly

http://www.worsleyworks.co.uk/Image-Pages/Image_N_Class29-RH.htm

Edited by Argos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, adanapress said:

A note for Argos,  in Autumn 1943 my late Father was a War Artist and Intel. Officer in the RAF, based at Foggia in central Italy. One or two of his paintings now in the Imperial War Museum show the  British WW1 Airship hangars still standing like rusty cathedrals in background.    As for 2024, I've no idea.  Of course a Zeppelin was got from semi retirement by the Germans and sailed the length of the UK's eastern coast on

radio frequencies watch shortly before the start of WW2   I gather we knew it was coming and they gained

little

Hi Adanapress,

I hadn't appreciated we had built permanent where around the Mediterranean. I thought they were all temporary structures.

I'll have to read further. Most of my reading was focussed on the UK sites.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Argos said:

As designed the skirts/turnunders are attached separately to the body. Instead they attach to body base plate.

This gives a step between the body and the skirts which, to my eyes, looks nothing like the real thing.

There are a couple of photos on the Worsley Works website one has the skirts attached directly to the body side and looks much better, hence why I chose that route. I've just ignored the body base plate. With the curving profile the formed body is quite rigid and I don't think it's needed. 

As designed

http://www.worsleyworks.co.uk/Image-Pages/Image_N_Class29.htm

Attached directly

http://www.worsleyworks.co.uk/Image-Pages/Image_N_Class29-RH.htm

Ah thanks Angus, I hadn't appreciated the difference between the two models before. Your dead right the turnunder is part of the look of the loco and I recall there was a lot of debate over the Dapol 4mm model in the early design stages when it wasn't correct. I'll certainly follow your lead with that. 

Bob                    

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, adanapress said:

Of course a Zeppelin was got from semi retirement by the Germans and sailed the length of the UK's eastern coast on

little

I heard that the Germans were looking for higher frequency signals than the British equipment was able to produce, as they considered the lower frequencies would not work well enough to be of any use.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I had a fun day at Stafford, an all too quick look round the exhibition was balanced by some modelling time and chat at the 2mm association stand.

We were stuck out in a sort of corridor away from the main hall so you to come specifically to find us so I'm guessing footfall at the stand was lower than normal for an exhibition of this size.

That did mean I managed to get about 2/3 of an etched wagon built.

I'd have probably made more progress if I had remembered to bring along the instructions and a photo of the actual wagon!

wagon1.png.ea06cf93b5b6f333d8cf647cff0f297a.png

The weird thing in the middle of the door is a temporary part to hold a piece of wire to form the door hinges.

This is removed once the hinges are fitted.

wagon2.png.98cc9575b3d872cbe6e5422eff3edca5.png

It is, or rather, will be a North British 8t 4 plank end door mineral wagon to Diagram 16B from one of Caley Jim's Buchan Kit etches.

As is normal for his etches it goes together rather well, even without instructions..........

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1