• RMweb Premium

A pictorial record of a 2mm micro I started Just before  Christmas.   Servos are ardunio operated as is the DCC system (DCC++), track is 30thou on 18mm sleepers.

Edited by nick_bastable
  • Like 11

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

this project is almost complete ( you never really finish any layout).  It has proved to be a very satisfying diversion and gives me somewhere to run my Colonel Stephens locos.  To finish lighting is LED warm white and RGB strips I may play in future with the RGB colour balance via a Arduino.   :dontknow:

Edited by nick_bastable
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

A lovely diorama type layout. Nice n simple. The trees are realistic, (tell us more re these) as is the minimal backscene.

Brit15

thanks to both of you.

Trees are the usual florist wire covered with plastic putty, greenery is woodland scenic teased to just before breaking point.

Stephens lines make good minimal size models Line No20 is based on the proposed EKR extension to Deal at Mongeham  track plan is similar to Wingham although with two extra points to give it some interest.   Round huts existed on two of the colonels lines EKR been one of them, water tower and wind pump is based on the the one at Staple.

• RMweb Premium

Hello Nick,

a very attractive little layout. Where did the back-scene come from?

back scene is  a ID BACKSCENES  large size suitably cut, it was a flaff to fit  with the curves in the corners  and sliding under the ground work hence the wrinkles in one place, but overall it gives a pretty good scale effect

Nick

• RMweb Premium

Hi Nick,

Good idea to use the code 30 rail in a light railway setting. Mind you, I've got some and it does seem to have a mind of its own compared to the code 40 strip. I've always hoped that an enterprising US Nn3 organisation might come up with some proper code 30 FB rail but it hasn't happened so far.

Have you converted the Terrier or is it just 'perched' at present?

I always fancied having a go at Poison Cross, if only for the name!

David

• RMweb Premium

Hi Nick,

Good idea to use the code 30 rail in a light railway setting. Mind you, I've got some and it does seem to have a mind of its own compared to the code 40 strip. I've always hoped that an enterprising US Nn3 organisation might come up with some proper code 30 FB rail but it hasn't happened so far.

Have you converted the Terrier or is it just 'perched' at present?

I always fancied having a go at Poison Cross, if only for the name!

David

David

Code 30 was first suggested on the VAG when I built line no 4 for the GJLC, its a fiddle but does look good for light railway practice.  Your right the terrier is as yet unconverted as my LSWR one is still in bits although Gordon has turned the wheels to 2mm. 

Poison Cross I know well about 4 miles away and  can be reached by passing a road sign reading Ham Sandwich, was a early thought for the GJLC  but been a through station made it unsuitable (hardly a station the actual site is tiny)

must make a third attempt at a 01

Nick

edited for pp spelling :nono:

Edited by nick_bastable

back scene is  a ID BACKSCENES  large size suitably cut, it was a flaff to fit  with the curves in the corners  and sliding under the ground work hence the wrinkles in one place, but overall it gives a pretty good scale effect

Nick

Thanks Nick, the curve works really well too.

• RMweb Premium
On 26/04/2016 at 09:50, cklammer said:

Hello Nick,

a very nice little tidy layout conveying a great sense of openess - great stuff!

Would you mind posting a helicopter shot, if possible, of the whole layout?

Best Regards,

Christian

Christian thanks for the kind words

by chance a passing airship took this

which after hand colouring yields this

Nick

Edited by nick_bastable
  • Like 4

Afternoon Nick,

you started your thread by mentioning that 'servos are Arduino operated'; would you care to give a little more information about how this works? Is the Arduino board linked into the DCC? What advantage is there from using the Arduino over conventional wire-and-tube or Peco/Seep motors or points motors activated by DCC direct? I'm asking as I've been given an unsolicited Arduino starter kit and I don't know what to do with it. I've also been given a couple of books with various exercises and project suggestions too, but I really don't want to drop what I'm doing on the model railway side and waste time playing with something of which I can't see the point.

• RMweb Premium
On 26/04/2016 at 15:10, Sun VI said:

Afternoon Nick,

you started your thread by mentioning that 'servos are Arduino operated'; would you care to give a little more information about how this works? Is the Arduino board linked into the DCC? What advantage is there from using the Arduino over conventional wire-and-tube or Peco/Seep motors or points motors activated by DCC direct? I'm asking as I've been given an unsolicited Arduino starter kit and I don't know what to do with it. I've also been given a couple of books with various exercises and project suggestions too, but I really don't want to drop what I'm doing on the model railway side and waste time playing with something of which I can't see the point.

2mm track is far from delicate but peco point motors would do them no favours, travel required to switch is about 1mm, servos are very controllable in both travel and speed of operation, they are also cheap <£2  via the auction site.    I mainly use dedicated MERG servo controllers,  however for this project I required 5 servos = 3 x points 2 x uncouplers (merg boards power 4) and a £3 arduino would do the work easily and cheaper with less soldering.  I used servos for level crossing gates on the 2mm area groups plank http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1024/entry-16177-homework/

I  would find it  difficult doing that without servo control,   with regard to DCC controlled I may modify the sketch to make them full DCC controlled in the future although at the moment I have no intention of doing so, at present the point/uncoupler is switched by a simple on off switch.   Wire in tube is fine for static layouts less so on portable IMHO

any more questions please feel free to ask 

Nick

Edited by nick_bastable
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hello Nick,

Thank you very much for the "airship" pictures - they help me understand the proportions of your layout.

You must have quite the connection with Count Zeppelin :no:

Best Regards,

Christian

The Colonel knew  Group Captain Peregrine Fellowes,   :jester:

http://www.rafweb.org/Biographies/Fellowes.htm

do the proportions now make sense Colonel Stephens light railways where some what eccentric 

Nick

Hello Nick,

Group Captain Peregrine Fellowes: a truly impressive Gentleman. :O

As to the proportions: the three right-hand spurs appear (at least to me) shortened - true? Or would they have been longer in the prototype? :scratchhead:  Because shorter spurs equals more points in this situation and points cost moneys; Col. Stephens was ... very ... cost-sensitive,  wasn't he?

Thank you again for your quick responses :no:

Best Regards,

Christian

Edited by cklammer

• RMweb Premium

Hello Nick,

Group Captain Peregrine Fellowes: a truly impressive Gentleman. :O

As to the proportions: the three right-hand spurs appear (at least to me) shortened - true? Or would they have been longer in the prototype? :scratchhead:  Because shorter spurs equals more points in this situation and points cost moneys; Col. Stephens was ... very ... cost-sensitive,  wasn't he?

Thank you again for your quick responses :no:

Best Regards,

Christian

Christian

check through www.disused-stations.org.uk/s/shepherdswell/  and the links ,  yes the spurs are some what truncated how ever not that much when compared to other spurs on the line however  within the constants of a APA box it makes a very suitable  inglenook,  also   please be aware that  the points as B8 radius   if I had used small radius type points the sidings could be several cm longer but unrealistic

regards

Nick 

• RMweb Gold

Its strange a few views and appreciated likes but no comments or helpful suggestions , however this project is almost complete ( you never really finish any layout).  It has proved to be a very satisfying diversion and gives me somewhere to run my Colonel Stephens locos.  To finish lighting is LED warm white and RGM strips I may play in future with the RGM colour balance via a Arduino.   :dontknow:

attachicon.gifDSC_4060a.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_4126.jpg

I'm intrigued by the use of RGB LED strips. I hadn't thought of that but it's logical as combining red, green & blue does give white.

So far, I've exclusively used warm white LEDs and lots of them. I did try cool white and also allegedly "pure" daylight LED strips but found them to have a very blue colour cast.

Very nice layout.  I looked at the photos and thought "that reminds me of Wingham".

Mark

• RMweb Premium

I'm intrigued by the use of RGB LED strips. I hadn't thought of that but it's logical as combining red, green & blue does give white.

So far, I've exclusively used warm white LEDs and lots of them. I did try cool white and also allegedly "pure" daylight LED strips but found them to have a very blue colour cast.

Very nice layout.  I looked at the photos and thought "that reminds me of Wingham".

Mark

Mark

even using the basic RGB controller it's interesting how you can affect the balance but would need a proper controller to get a really effective results at the moment thats a maybe in the future along with full DCC control of the servos.   My feeling is a touch of red or yellow will offset the cast of the white strip's   but as I said that is for another day.

It is very pleasing  it reminds you of Wingham as it means the effect I was after has been achieved having stolen various bits from the rest of the EKR to base the layout on. :imsohappy:

Nick

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Very nice, and instantly recognisable as Wingham.

Can I ask what you have done for a fiddle yard, and how it connects to the main box please?

thanks for the kind words

I'm using a simple traintable  it runs on a lazy susan bearing 

post-1480-0-50240500-1463646175_thumb.jpg

Nick

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nick, apologies but I've only just found this thread - I should check the micro-layouts section more often.

Lovely little layout, always good to see more Colonel Stephens, especially in 2mm.

Jerry

• 2 months later...