Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

Posted (edited)

Another build done this week. this one is a Modellers World Post Office Parcel Van.  An old kit showing it's age.    I had to run it through the sonic cleaner to make a start.  Also it required some strengthening as the etches were very then and easily bent out of shape.

Any it has ended up looking OK I think. (Just noticed one of the gas lamps need pushing down a touch 😳)

postparcelvan1.JPG.f352497e5371c465feee9660f1f177e7.JPG

Also built this week is a Gladiator Models hopper wagon. Now ready for another paint session

LNWRhopperwaggon.JPG.9ffb2b5401cc2d34e2ca0257e032db68.JPG

Edited by jazz
  • Like 12

Posted (edited)

Just returned from a really nice stay in Yorkshire enjoying various heritage railways plus other attractions Yorkshire offers.

Today sees me finishing another wagon. This one is a Majestic  Models Beer Van.  A very small amount of filling is required before priming it. (I have to obtain some new filler first)

beervan1.JPG.f260ae25c09823a27375939f8554181a.JPG

Edited by jazz
  • Like 8

On 29/06/2024 at 07:47, jazz said:

Just returned from a really nice stay in Yorkshire enjoying various heritage railways plus other attractions Yorkshire offers.

Today sees me finishing another wagon. This one is a Majestic  Models Beer Van.  A very small amount of filling is required before priming it. (I have to obtain some new filler first)

beervan1.JPG.f260ae25c09823a27375939f8554181a.JPG

lnwr?

Now it's on with the next loco kit. Its, at last a Gladiator kit 😀an A King Arthur Class.  The past week I have the tender built and joining the queue for the paint shop.

Here it is before cleaning up.  And now forwards with the loco.

KGtender1.JPG.92c087da6b29fa5d85894c95ccc0bede.JPG

KGtender2.JPG.feeb90d84189aaa378c919bff667aaca.JPG

• Like 7

Hi Jazz

I had some 18 inch rollers fabricated from scratch by a engineer in Waterlooville near Portsmouth Hampshire they are well made probably over engineered though and cost £450 not tried them yet but will post here in due course.

Regards,

Paul. 

Hi again.  Back on the WB to carry on with the King Arthur.  The motion cannot be finished until it's been painted. The body is now under way and so far going OK. 

kingarthur2.JPG.f483fd530117a5f46e96910cfc6bc4df.JPG

• Like 6

A bit more done on the King Arthur.  The boiler assembly was quite tricky to get it soldered up.  The CD that comes with the kit is a very good addition to help with the build.

I will be off the WB for a few days before continuing with the.

kingarthurloco2.JPG.be2139cdd9a07962ed6a245ff5596ccf.JPG

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

At last I've got the King Arthur ready for stripping down and and priming. The testing the running on the track.  (The bogies wheels may hit the back of the cylinders. though)

That may need a bit of clearance made.

kingarthurforpriming.JPG.9e3666efe7b8f04d00da7f08b90f7c60.JPG

Edited by jazz
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 1

Been doing a bit more 'catch-up'.  I have the King Arthur boxed off read for delivery.  I have to road test it on my layout before I can pack it way.     I also  have a three models awaiting cleaning and priming.  The dreadful weather made me put them to one side.    I will be cracking on with them tomorrow.

KGallfinishedNo2.JPG.474b3d9fc477d0c643644e45a384ca3d.JPG

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I have the four wagons from various kit suppliers ready for the off.  The Leith salt wagon is a Slater's kit with POW work done on it. (The photo does not pick out what I call the shed roof.) The painter will have fun with that one.

4xwagonsdone.JPG.f2cb990ca271915a385f7a13183a352d.JPG

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Hi all.  An update for you.  My PC  went completely dead and and ended up replacing with a new one.  Now  trying to work out why the recent photo down loads will not open.

Edited by jazz
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

After a much needed vacation I've finished the Precursor tank loco.  (There is a casting to obtain that fits under the smoke box door.)

Next up is a Gladiator kit Duchess class. Iprecursorpainted.JPG.5b12e71926bd633d2c87d8f3f6911a05.JPG 

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

Started the Duchess tender. Very typical of Gladiator kits with no problems. (I know I have had numerous of these tenders posted on here) So no comments on the build on this one.

duchesstender1.JPG.752077b4705a9f30715930845b057303.JPG

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

After a very enjoyable visit to Bingly Hall GOG meet I'm now underway with a Gladiator Duchess Class loco . As you see, the tender is almost built and the loco chassis and body is now underway. All going OK.

duchesschassis1.JPG.e47fb81ccc06b0f1e2de46a4b5079484.JPG

Edited by jazz
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

More progress on the Duchess chassis.  Turned out to be a rather fiddly one to build. to be continued😋

The wheels are very rusted up and will need much cleaning up.

duchesschassisalmostdone2.JPG.d903dba6430120515b9f9a47f2dad068.JPG

Edited by jazz
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jazz said:

The wheels are very rusted up and will need much cleaning up.

duchesschassisalmostdone2.JPG.d903dba6430120515b9f9a47f2dad068.JPG

Hello Ken,

I'd be very interested in how you go about this so that they stay unrusted as I have a 3mm chassis that rusted up after I built it (possibly to do with flux whilst soldering it up ?) which I cleaned up with a glass fibre brush and oiled a while ago but it could be better and I've never finished the loco off because of it.

We also had a bout of 'rusty hand' syndrome in wheels being supplied from the Society shop which were starting to rust in the packets of which I still have a few to use.

Regards,

Ian.

They rust up with the flux fumes.  Quite a few are rusted when I open the packets.  Nothing can be done about them though. I spin them in the drill on the axle using a 200 grit sand paper and finish them off with the glass fibre brush.

I  do have to use one set of wheels to add the brake clearances etc. and immediately clean them after each session.  I then keep them away from the flux fumes for the remainder of the build.

I usually wrap the model in tissue until it's ready for cleaning and priming.

• Thanks 1