Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

A cracking good day on the body today. The large motor took a fair bit of chomping away metal from the firebox & boiler formers. Fortunately the side tanks will hide that fact. I also decided to add cutouts in the chassis frames to allow the motor to sit horizontal. This was to allow the nuts & bolts between the firebox & boiler to be utilised. Other than that, all went quite well.

post-150-0-86630100-1385835297_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 9

Today sees the Daisey almost ready for the paint shop. (Just handrail knobs/buffers and safety vales to add)

All in all, not a difficult build as long as care is taken in the bending and folding. Everything fits well, the only exception was the fold up s/box saddle, that was a few mm too long. A very easy fix though.

post-150-0-26373500-1386096183_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 8

Hi. Some photos of the LNER Daisy in primer now ready for delivery.

post-150-0-11712300-1386265431_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-96369200-1386265454_thumb.jpg

Also another loco that been progressing through the WB.. This is the Gladiator SECR D Class.  I had kept this quiet as it's for a friend to give as as Christmas present.  As the cat got out of the bag, here it is all ready for delivery. (It is going out unpainted, which is not my preference at all. I like to prime them to catch any possible areas that need a little more cleaning and tweaking)

Any way I sure look forward to seeing her when he has painted the model.

It was a delightful kit to build and had no problems with it at all. A very well designed kit.

post-150-0-86413100-1386266065_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-83195600-1386266098_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-52813300-1386266121_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-74313500-1386266157_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Hi. Some photos of the LNER Daisy in primer now ready for delivery.

attachicon.gifIMG_1243.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1244.JPG

Also another loco that been progressing through the WB.. This is the Gladiator SECR D Class.  I had kept this quiet as it's for a friend to give as as Christmas present.  As the cat got out of the bag, here it is all ready for delivery. (It is going out unpainted, which is not my preference at all. I like to prime them to catch any possible areas that need a little more cleaning and tweaking)

Any way I sure look forward to seeing her when he has painted the model.

It was a delightful kit to build and had no problems with it at all. A very well designed kit.

attachicon.gifIMG_1220_1.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1221.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1223.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1238.JPG

I **REALLY** like those D class engines.  That engines on my "wish" list, for both O and Gauge 1.  (I have the Walsall wheels for the Gauge 1 version already...)

Mind telling me how you got those wonderful, graceful, curves from the cab front down and over the splashers?  Looks like a 1 piece cab front/splasher top etch, and there's at least one "reverse curve" in there...  That doesn't seem trivial to assemble.

Hi Mike. That is indeed a one piece etch. (I actually found the tender flares more challenging than the splasher tops.) I have a selection of plastic plumbing pipes that I use to form curves and bends. Using just my fingers to gently form the curves. As long as you do a little at a time you easily tweak the curves as you go. I very rarely resort to annealing first as it deformes the metal, not to mention the discolouration and resulting cleaning for soldering.

For tender tops etc., I use various steel bars and a small peen hammer. Again gentle working of the metal and only a little at a time, constantly checking as you go.

Hi Peter. Believe it or not, I do not spnd day every day at the WB. We take a lot of vacations and trips, so plenty of fun away from the WB. Getting close to my seventh decade, I have no desire to slow down, I have to keep active. Doing nothing and sitting around the unthinkable. Not to mention a complete waste of time.

Hi. A little quickie that was fun to build. The new Gladiator offering of the GWR 2T crane truck & match truck. The crane was the only fiddly bit, you can use the cast jib or as I did, the etched version.

Next week I should be starting yet another Duchess Class.

post-150-0-49988200-1386520590_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. After a delay, I have now started my fifth Duchess Class. I have not photographed each stage as this has been done on my earlier pages.

This is how it's looking ready for priming. (Apologies for you having to open each image to view. The RM uploader would not accept the images as they seemed to be too large, apparently)

%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/kenjazz2/IMG_1274_zpsdc24b5c2.jpg

%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/kenjazz2/IMG_1275_zpsb44a7245.jpg

%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/kenjazz2/IMG_1278_zpsb5e5c6b5.jpg

%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/kenjazz2/IMG_1276_zpseeca3702.jpg

%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/kenjazz2/IMG_1272_zps4be3a68c.jpg

%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/kenjazz2/IMG_1273_zpsaced339b.jpg

Some have asked me how I fit the frame cross braces and still manage to take the body off the chassis. I mostly use the method shown in this image. i.e. two retaining strips per side so the braces just spring into them.

Another method I have used in the past, is to solder the braces to dropper arms from the underside of the body. OK if no water pickup apparatus is in the way, otherwise the former method is better.

A start will now be made on the loco chassis.

Edited by jazz
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Another new year already, how times flies by.   The excitment mounts on the Jazz WB as this current build comes to a climax. Just a few more odds & sods to add and it's ready for priming and that completes the current batch of builds.

post-150-0-48199300-1388785241_thumb.jpg

To start the new year, I'm going to scratch build a very interesting and extremely rare loco as only one was ever built. It was the precurser to the metro 2-4-0T to name but one offshoot.

If you have not already guessed it's the GWR Dean experimental 2-4-0 outside frame tank loco. Originally built as a 4-4-0T, it was continually derailing, so the 4 wheel bogie was dropped and it became a 4-4-0T with sucess.

Here is a copy of part of the plans I purchased.  There is photos on page 143 of Vol 1 in J H Russell's 'Pictorial record of GREAT WESTERN ENGINES'.

I have declined to reproduce then here in case the re is a copy right issue.

I will give a blow by blow account of the build. It's been a while since I scratch built a loco and I'm really looking forward to having fun.

post-150-0-06308700-1388785446_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 3

Another new year already, how times flies by.   The excitment mounts on the Jazz WB as this current build comes to a climax. Just a few more odds & sods to add and it's ready for priming and that completes the current batch of builds.

attachicon.gifIMG_1285.JPG

To start the new year, I'm going to scratch build a very interesting and extremely rare loco as only one was ever built. It was the precurser to the metro 2-4-0T to name but one offshoot.

If you have not already guessed it's the GWR Dean experimental 2-4-0 outside frame tank loco. Originally built as a 4-4-0T, it was continually derailing, so the 4 wheel bogie was dropped and it became a 4-4-0T with sucess.

Here is a copy of part of the plans I purchased.  There is photos on page 143 of Vol 1 in J H Russell's 'Pictorial record of GREAT WESTERN ENGINES'.

I have declined to reproduce then here in case the re is a copy right issue.

I will give a blow by blow account of the build. It's been a while since I scratch built a loco and I'm really looking forward to having fun.

attachicon.gifDean 2-4-0T No1 001.jpg

OOPS Sorry to disappoint. What's W1 anyway?

Dean's No 1 will be an interesting and unusual prototype, Ken. Will you go for the 1914 version with Belpaire firebox, small tanks and top feed, as in your drawing and the Russell photos, or one of its earlier forms?

btw, "precurser to the metro 2-4-0T" is an odd thing to say about it. There may be a typical Swindon similarity with No 1 in it's later forms, but the first five lots of Metros had already been built by May 1882 when No 1 was converted to a 2-4-0T. No 1 was also somewhat larger than the Metros in most dimensions.

Nick